5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M"

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #21  
Ill go ahead and throw another wrench into the fire for you. Around here is big time farming (no on the big scale as the Midwest) but big time nonetheless. We do it all around here from row crop to hay to horses and cows. I know many farmers on big and small scales that own 5e and 5003 tractors. Most use them for hay or general stuff like mowing or pulling peanut carts, etc. you don't see many M's around here. Either you have something like a 5e and then your next smallest tractor is 120hp or the 5e is your main tractor. A friend of mine does cows and hay and his three tractors are a 6410, 4650, and a 5603. I think you'll find the 5e series can handle the high number of hours it's just do you want those extra features the M gives you. Farmers around here don't seem to want them and the 5e has the features they're looking for.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #22  
Same here, most farmers are running E's over M's, but most farmers here don't have huge equipment budgets.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #23  
. . . the M's are the Cadillac to the E's Chevy. They also come with a price difference. . .
But, it's not all "chrome and leather." ;)

The "M" has a frame where the "E Limited" doesn't. The controls are better placed on the "M", the three point on the "E" is the old rock shaft style while the "M" is operated by two external hydraulic cylinders and has more lift capacity, the "M" has an optional remote fender switch which I find myself using ALL the time when hooking 3pt implements (not available on the "E"), I think there is almost 800lbs difference in the "E" and "M", The components of the interior of the cab of the "M" are much nicer than the "E".
That's a short list. I didn't notice all the differences until I had both tractors side by side. There are more differences than most think.

One other option the "M" has that the "E" doesn't is the "PowerReverser Plus" 32/16 transmission. Great for mowing and baling hay.
If you've never had the features of the M, you might not miss them. As they say, "Ignorance is bliss." :D
But, for example, if you have the experience of hooking up to a 3 pt hitch hay mower with the M's electro-hydraulic hitch and the fender control button just once, you'll swear that you don't know how you lived without it.

One thing that I've not seen mentioned, PLEASE take my advice and get the radial tires. They make a huge difference in the ride as well as improve the traction.

BTW: 160 hours per year is nothing to sneeze at. It would take some people years to get that many hours on a tractor.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #24  
I just bought a 5083E. Very pleased with it. I wouldn't even let myself sit in an M, LOL! The E is a lot of tractor, way more than I have ever owned, so it fits me perfect...

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #25  
I think that something someone else said earlier is worth repeating. You really need to go somewhere where you can compare the e's and the M's side by side. No matter what you decide to go with it is a major purchase. You do not want to make that purchase and then end up with regrets later. Get what you will be fully satisfied with now because it is a decision that you will have to live with for a long time. Changing your mind later could cost a lot of money.

Just a thought. Enjoy the shopping experience. Buying a tractor should be fun.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #26  
Yeah exactly, you understand. I won't be making a living, or doing serious work every day, with my new machine. You guys that are seriously using your machines are in a different league than I am. Now of course having said that I still want to get the right machine for my needs.

JD is currently offering 0% on 48 months. I'd be a fool to write a check for my new tractor. I'll be happy to use JD's money for the next 4 years at no charge.

I'm sure that series will do everything you want. Like the other poster said, they're all over farms, and we've had them for years too. If it is a huge difference, spend it on some implements that will enhance your use of the machine.

No doubt on the 0% finance. That's how we're getting into a new one, besides trading two tractors in as well. I am looking forward to the power reverser transmission. We'll hook on to the box scrape and start into roads after we get it in a couple of weeks. No doubt I won't miss grinding that collar shift transmission changing directions so much, or the hard-to-feather 3-pt lever. We'll see, I'll post my experiences here.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #27  
I think that something someone else said earlier is worth repeating. You really need to go somewhere where you can compare the e's and the M's side by side. No matter what you decide to go with it is a major purchase. You do not want to make that purchase and then end up with regrets later. Get what you will be fully satisfied with now because it is a decision that you will have to live with for a long time. Changing your mind later could cost a lot of money.

Just a thought. Enjoy the shopping experience. Buying a tractor should be fun.

I agree with this^^^^^
Make a side by side comparision before you spend the money on either.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #29  
Well I've been looking around and researching for a while now and after comparing models and features I've come to the decision that I just can't buy a Japanese tractor (Kubota). I just can't do it.

Dave

You may not be buying a Japanese tractor but if you buy a 5000M series you'll be buying a Mexican made engine, I think Brazilian Hydraulics, a Chinese Transmission and a US made cab, only assembled in GA, not made in GA. If you buy a 2WD the front axle will be from India, someone needs to go over there and teach them how to weld. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the M series but just so you'll know that's basically what you're getting. Nearly all cast iron parts are being casted in India and China these days.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #30  
You may not be buying a Japanese tractor but if you buy a 5000M series you'll be buying a Mexican made engine, I think Brazilian Hydraulics, a Chinese Transmission and a US made cab, only assembled in GA, not made in GA. If you buy a 2WD the front axle will be from India, someone needs to go over there and teach them how to weld. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the M series but just so you'll know that's basically what you're getting. Nearly all cast iron parts are being casted in India and China these days.

It's been awhile since I crawled around and under my M.. but, I do remember that the hydraulics are made in Brazil (at least the rear SCV's and mid mount SCV's), the front and rear transaxle cast iron housing's are made in India and/or China. Don't recall where the engine is built or the transmission. The front differential is US - Spicer - I believe. Can't tell directly where the rear differential is manufactured... or really the transmission. You'd need 2nd or 3rd hand information to determine that.

That said, I believe you'll find that the E Limited is built from components from the same locations. Very likely, the D's and E's as well.

The front differential housing on the E Limited looks suspiciously identical to the M front differential. Of course, the rear transaxle and transmission housing are quite different.

Nonetheless, it only makes good business sense to minimize the number of different components in both the manufacturing process and the spare parts/repair inventory. Lowers the total cost of production as well as lowered repair and warranty expenses. (The company has to ship, monitor, record, track and maintain all those pieces-parts. The fewer different components - the less complex and complicated that process is.)

AKfish