5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M"

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #1  

dstacy

Silver Member
Tractor
a few green & yellow ones
Well I've been looking around and researching for a while now and after comparing models and features I've come to the decision that I just can't buy a Japanese tractor (Kubota). I just can't do it.

I have a 3032 now and am not going to bake in the Texas sun, or breathe the dust and pollen, any longer so a new cab tractor is heading my way.

In addition to our home in Houston we have a nice place in the country where we live about 50% of the time. We have horses there so we're moving round bales around. We mow and clear brush all the time. We might look into baling some hay in the future. I'm not going to earn a living with this tractor. While I'm not rich, considering this will likely be the last tractor I buy, I have the ability to pretty much buy what I want, within reason, from a financial standpoint.

I have a quote in hand for a 5083E with an H260 loader. Options include a right hand door kit, air seat, and a radio. That quote is $47,500. I'll have them get me a grapple and a third valve/joystick on a cash ticket.

3 dealers have told me that with the new cabs the E series is so close to the M that they aren't even stocking M's any longer. So here is my question. Knowing what I'll be using it for do you think I'll wish I'd spent the extra $5,000 for the 5093 or the extra (who knows how much) for the 5101? The dealers tell me that since it really is a "toy" and I'm not trying to make a living with it I might find myself needing a bit more horsepower every once in a while but if I do I can just slow down, take it a little easier, and just enjoy the fact that I get to hang out on my ranch at all.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Dave

Last edited:
   / 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #2  
Go crawl around on 'em. Look 'em over and see how they look and feel - fit, finish, materials. Fire 'em up and use the loader, 3pt and transmission, steering. Figure out what you'll be doing with the tractor while you own it and work it (more or less).

Then buy it...

AKfish

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #3  
Well I've been looking around and researching for a while now and after comparing models and features I've come to the decision that I just can't buy a Japanese tractor (Kubota). I just can't do it.

I have a 3032 now and am not going to bake in the Texas sun, or breathe the dust and pollen, any longer so a new cab tractor is heading my way.

In addition to our home in Houston we have a nice place in the country where we live about 50% of the time. We have horses there so we're moving round bales around. We mow and clear brush all the time. We might look into baling some hay in the future. I'm not going to earn a living with this tractor. While I'm not rich, considering this will likely be the last tractor I buy, I have the ability to pretty much buy what I want, within reason, from a financial standpoint.

I have a quote in hand for a 5083E with an H260 loader. Options include a right hand door kit, air seat, and a radio. That quote is $47,500. I'll have them get me a grapple and a third valve/joystick on a cash ticket.

3 dealers have told me that with the new cabs the E series is so close to the M that they aren't even stocking M's any longer. So here is my question. Knowing what I'll be using it for do you think I'll wish I'd spent the extra $5,000 for the 5093 or the extra (who knows how much) for the 5101? The dealers tell me that since it really is a "toy" and I'm not trying to make a living with it I might find myself needing a bit more horsepower every once in a while but if I do I can just slow down, take it a little easier, and just enjoy the fact that I get to hang out on my ranch at all.

Dave

Dave,

I have a 5083E and I don稚 make my living with it per say, but Make sure you size your tractor for the work you will be doing. If you already have implements it痴 much easier to fit the tractor to them. I handle A LOT of round bales and square bales with my E and it痴 no sweat. I do have the 563NSL though and it will easily pick the rear end of the tractor off the ground with loaded tires if I don稚 put my counterweight on(and sometimes that doesn't completely stop it). I can do everything that needs done with it, but a few extra ponies would sure be handy brush hogging on my mountainside pasture. I def. recommend the air ride seat though! The third function for the laoder is one of the things I would def have gotten the first time around If I would have known.

I have also heard that the 55 series was split into the M and the E series. The M is supposedly built a lil heavier and is speced out a little nicer than the E.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #4  

Dave

I just went through your exact dilema. I opted to bump up 3k and get the 5093e. I wanted to make sure I had enough PTO power for a 5x6 baler, and most call for 80 hp. The 5093e has 79 pto HP. The cab is very close to the M series, but make mo mistake as AKfish will tell you the M's are the Cadillac to the E's Chevy. They also come with a price difference. I opted for a Chevy with extra HP! It should arrive in about 2 weeks, and I am salivating.

BTW, my deal was just short of 20% off configurator list price (both tractor and FEL) so something to keep in mind if buying new.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #5  
I was in your shoes almost two years ago. I was having trouble shelling out the extra money for the "M". It wasn't until I found both "M' and the "E Limited" sitting side by side that I was able to "SEE" the difference in the two tractors. There is quite a bit of difference!!
In my case, I figured that this would probably be the only "new" tractor that I woud ever own so I spoiled myself and went with the 5105 M with all the bells and whistles. When you price it out over the life of the tractor and figure the resale value it makes it affordable.
My advice woud be to get both tractors side by side and take both for a test drive. Then you can make an informed decision.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #6  
We just ordered a 5085 M, but not a cab tractor. I opted for the M series because of certain features that matter to me as a full time operator - and after 14 years of running very basic JD 5000 series tractors. The E will likely do everything you want, it is a very practical line. From someone who just forked out the extra bucks for an M, I still think the E will have solid resale value.

The other posters are right, you should try them both out. It is a big purchase and you want to dial it in just right if you're going to spend some time in it and enjoy it.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #7  
The 5083e will do everything you have outlined just fine. The cab is really nice and you will be very happy with it.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #8  
I was in your shoes almost two years ago. I was having trouble shelling out the extra money for the "M". It wasn't until I found both "M' and the "E Limited" sitting side by side that I was able to "SEE" the difference in the two tractors. There is quite a bit of difference!!
In my case, I figured that this would probably be the only "new" tractor that I woud ever own so I spoiled myself and went with the 5105 M with all the bells and whistles. When you price it out over the life of the tractor and figure the resale value it makes it affordable.
My advice woud be to get both tractors side by side and take both for a test drive. Then you can make an informed decision.

I have a cabbed 5105M that I bought used. I never did any comparison with other JD's and only compared it with other makes before making a decision so I would be curious to know what it has that the E doesn't?

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #9  
I have a cabbed 5105M that I bought used. I never did any comparison with other JD's and only compared it with other makes before making a decision so I would be curious to know what it has that the E doesn't?

Well.. just to get the ball rolling - the engines are different. The available transmissions are different. The tractor's frame assembly is different. The hydraulic systems are different. The 3-point system is different. The available attachments (loader's, etc.) are different. Optional tire/rim configurations are different.

There are some fairly significant differences...

AKfish

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #10  
I would recommend the E for you. I would recommend the M to people who would put 500+ hours on their tractor per year and want a slightly more productive tractor in that size. I think the main difference between the m and the e is productivity. The E will do everything that the M can, but the M will do it a little bit faster.