Buying Advice John Deere model 770

/ John Deere model 770 #1  

Blacklion

Tractor
Model 770
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1998 Model 770 John Deere 2wd diesel with turf tires. It has 330 original hours with a front end loader and a 3pt hitch (not sure if hitch works, goes up but can't lower it). Tractor was stored outdoors and has various rust spots and total seat deteoration. The seller wants $4,000.00. Is this a wise purchase?? Thanks for your input.

/ John Deere model 770 #2  
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1998 Model 770 John Deere 2wd diesel with turf tires. It has 330 original hours with a front end loader and a 3pt hitch (not sure if hitch works, goes up but can't lower it). Tractor was stored outdoors and has various rust spots and total seat deteoration. The seller wants $4,000.00. Is this a wise purchase?? Thanks for your input.

Depending on your intended use, I think you would do just fine. Unless it was abused, it's barely broken in. Attaching an implement will lower the three point. Gravity does the lowering.

/ John Deere model 770 #3  
Depending on your intended use, I think you would do just fine. Unless it was abused, it's barely broken in. Attaching an implement will lower the three point. Gravity does the lowering.

The links should lower though...even with no implement attached. I suspect the rate of drop knob (on the panel directly below the seat) may be closed.

Anyway, to the OP...the 770 is a very basic and very nice little tractor. It shares many components with the current 3005 Deere.
2WD will be a bit of a sticking point for two reasons:
the 770 is a lightweight and you will run out of traction. You will want rear ballast on the 3PH.
Steering with 2WD and a full load in the bucket will become tiring. Do ensure the tractor has hydro-assist (power) steering. This was an optioon on the 2WD machines.

Since you're from Florida, snow removal isn't in your future. I suspect mowing and (maybe) some field mowing (brush cutting) is...the 770 can easily handle a 5' or even a 6' finishing mower. It can handle a 5' rotary cutter, but thick brush will really require slowing down.

$4K is a pretty good price...good luck and don't wait too long.