I'm new here

/ I'm new here
Re: I\'m new here

Thanks for your comments! Talk about telling your age-I was born in 60 so I think I beat the ban, but I can still be a problem. I went to see my 4300 today ( salesman waxed it) 4x4-R4's- 3rd scv-block heater-roldable rops-66" front blade-model #260 GB loader. I'm hoping it snows a few more times for me so I can upgrade my 1550 landpride tiller for a 2562.
The 855 is 6" narrower and not near as tall, but about the same lenth compared to a 4300. Since I traded up I need a bigger tiller and disc and if it will pull a 2-14 plow I'll sell mt 1-14. And I'll have to make my loader teeth wider.Every thing else I have will work better on my new tractor, It will be nice to pick up my grass seeder with out straining the 3 point.
Does any one have a rear factory light kit for these tractors? I (WOOD) like to know how much lite they put out. If there enough I might put them on instead of 3x5 50 watt holgen.

/ I'm new here #12  

DDT--the JD rear light kit is very adequate for lighting what you are doing behind you and I suspect that if you purchased one from your dealer, he might be willing to go ahead and install it for you as did mine (for no additional charges). Like most things green (actually its black), it is a little pricy at $38. The black wire and purple wire to which it connects can be found in the wiring harness right beneath the bottom of the ROPS. The rear light will then turn on when you turn on the headlights. I added a second rear light on the other side of the ROPS, but didn't really need it--just a right-brain balance thing of having both sides alike. Good luck to you. Mike S.

/ I'm new here #13  

Congratulations DDT on a great new tractor. I half-heartily looked at 4300s when I bought my 790 (similar HP), but couldn't swing the extra $. Maybe someday I'll upgrade, it sure is an impressive looking machine.

Rob
18-25126-790sig.gif

/ I'm new here #14  

Under the Tractor Customization thread there is a couple of discussions on adding tractor lights.

I found at an auto part store two 55 watt lights for $25. I needed the lights but it was still a spur of the moment purchase. I put these facing forward and I still need some facing aft. What I think I should have done was buy the JD lights. Even though they are more money I'm assuming they have all the correct mounting brackets/nuts/bolts. I had to come up with my own system and I spent another 10-20 dollars over the price of the lights. So I really did not save any money and I certainly spent a couple of hours in the hardware store scratching my head trying to figure out how to get things to work...

Having said that I also have my lights mounted on top of my ROPS so I get the light well out in front of the tractor so that the FEL does not get in the way. In the end it was probably the right thing to do.

BUT, for the rear facing lights, I'm going to look at the JD lights I don't think I really need to get the lights up high. I need to be able to see what I'm doing when working with the backhoe and if the JD lights allow that then I'll spend the extra dollars up front to save me time and money.

Food for thought...

Hope this helps....
Dan McCarty

/ I'm new here #15  
JD lights

I put a light on my right fender, connected to the standard light harness under the seat. It works fine, but someone else here (I wish I could remember who so I could give proper credit /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif) suggested actually mounting a light on the snowblower so that the discharge doesn't just make the light glare back at me. I'm going to move my current light back there and probably go for the JD kit for the lights on the fender.

One thing I'll make sure of is an independant switch for the snowblower light. I flip my flashers on when I get near the road... JD made it so that if the flashers are on, the rear plugs are off. I guess they thought if the flashers have to be on, you are driving down the road and therefore there should not be a white light pointing backwards. Makes sense, I guess.

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
18-26750-markcg2000.gif

/ I'm new here

Mike S,
The rear lights that I have on my 855 will shine day light bright along way back (about 20') and side to side about the same. How does a pair of factory light compare to this?

/ I'm new here #17  

DDT--sounds very similar to your description. I am not sure, but it seems that the rear lights mounted on my 4400 are similar to those that were mounted on my 955. The dealer was nice enough to mount one and later I added one to the other side. The JD rear lights are not as bright at 55 watt lights, but do a more than adequate job and their advantage is that they mount to one of the mounting bolts for the rear flashers on the ROPS and they come with a wiring harness that is long enough (and color coded) to pass through the ROPS down to the same color coded wires beneath the ROPS that are controlled by the headlight switch on the dash. Mike S.