jd 4600

/ jd 4600 #1  

john4nh

Silver Member
Tractor
CASE 580 BACHOE JOHN DEERE 920 AND 820 FARM-ALL CUB
Ok fellas heres a nother one, jd4600 4wd w/ 460 loader hydro transmission and cruise control.. 18995.. I copied the ad, called the dealer he said less then 100 hours and its a 99 model.. What do yall think? He said like new, which I believe that.. Any way going to see in the morning.. Iam at work pretty busy so havent researched it.. Thanks oh yah r-4's

/ jd 4600 #2  
John4nh,

One thing you may want to check is whether or not it has the "new" style front axle. This has a hydraulic cylinder connected to ONLY the right wheel, which is connected to the left with a simple rod-link. The "old" style has hydraulic piston-rod connection to BOTH wheels.

I know that there were some "scuffing" problems associated with the old style, resulting in dealer-replacement and a change of design.

I am sorry that I am not knowledgeable enough to explain this better ....maybe some other list members can do that for you.

I don't know whether this should influence your decision to purchase ( or whether it may have influenced the previous-owner's decision to sell /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif ), but you might want to check into it.

Most of what I read on the internet about the problem seemed to center on the 4300/4400 sizes ( I could be remembering this wrong), but I have seen at least one 4700 with the "old" style axle, so would expect that there are some 4600s that have it as well.

I'd mention this to the dealer at least, and ideally, talk to the previous owner to find out why he is letting it go!

Just some thoughts /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Larry

/ jd 4600
Larry thanks thats pretty much the questions I had in mind.. The scuffing please correct me if iam wrong, but the issue was for tearing up the grass (scuffing) not a mechanical defect. Or was this a mechanical defect that would do damage to the tractor componets? If just the grass I would not worry, but if to the tractor that would have to be fixed.. Ive checked prices on the net the price seems good so far, like getting a free loader instead of buying brand new tractor then loader for 3 to 4 grand more..
Of course I already want the 4 in 1 bucket and t&t which probally put the price back to going all new..Oh well Ill see how it goes tommorow..

/ jd 4600 #4  
John,

If I tried to comment further on the "scuffing", I'd be talking when I should keep my mouth shut... all I know is that it was enough of a concern to many owners that they went through considerable inconvenience to have it corrected, so wanted to be sure you knew about it.

It seems that you do, so you'll have to decide whether or not it's a concern to you personally.

Best of luck with your deal /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Larry

/ jd 4600 #5  
IF that tractor is what they say it is that is a heck of a buy! I talked to four different dealers and the best I could do on a new 4600 with loader and the power reverser, not HYDRO, was $22,500. Hydro is $1500 or so more. I'd have jumped on that buy in a heartbeat. Besides even if the front end is the wrong one you've still got a year left on the factory warranty to get it fixed. I'd buy it.
Richard

/ jd 4600 #6  
The older front end caused scuffying on grass. If I remember right, the scuffying was with the tractor in MFWD and making tight turns. It seems like the converstations were from April/May of 2000. I think I saw them here on TBN as well as on www.jplan.com. Hopefully that info will help you find the discussions.

I may have minimized the problem in my own mind, but it was not something I was concerned about when I was buying my tractor since I was not planning on finish mowing with the tractor. Now, I'm thinking about it getting a finish mower when I get the house built. :cool: I'm pretty sure I have the new front end on my 4700 and I sure don't see scuffying when running in MFWD and doing tight turns.

Hope this helps...
Dan McCarty

/ jd 4600
just an update went to look at 4600 but it was all locked up..I live about 40 miles away. Anyway call dealer today and supposed to try again, will meet me at anytime day or nite ( thought that was good) Any way got price (rough) on a 5105 4wd with loder for 21291 and also a 4700 4wd power reverser or shuttle shift whatever you call it, and loader for 22935 thats without rebates and this 4700 is on the lot..Well just thought id post the prices to help anyone and remind me where Iam at on them.. That old 920 kinda looks good now though..HA!HA!!

Hey Dan if I remember from one of your earlier post you didnt go with the 5000 series because the price of the hoe? was that your only reason? I really like the 5105 vs the 4700 but just because the power, I like everything else on the 4700.. I will still consider the 4600 but if I can stay within 2 or so grand I would rather not have the hydro..I know they are nice but I like to shift.

/ jd 4600 #8  
John,

Your prices look pretty good. Less than mine but my cost included the Power Beyond Valve for the backhoe, the Third SCV, and a 4n1 bucket. Its real hard/frustrating trying to compare prices on this stuff.....

I really wanted the 5n05s BUT the numbers I had on the FELs showed that the 4700 had more lift capacity by a 200-300 pounds. It looks like JD "dumbed down" the the FEL on the 5n05s to move people up to the 5n10s or down to the 4000s. Check the numbers in the FEL brochures to make sure I'm right. The other reason for my move to the 4700 was the cost of the back hoe. The back hoe for the 5000s listed for over 11,000 dollars! OUCH! The 4700 backhoe was about $7,000. My origional plan was to hold off buying the backhoe but I decided the weekend before signing to get the JD48. I'm VERY glad I did. I wish it was physically a bit larger and a little more powerful, ala a JD49, which does not exist. :cool: But most people are not digging up 36 inch stumps. Its doing the job but a slightly bigger unit would do the work faster.

The 5n05 have good HP vs the 4700 but they also have more capacity on the 3PH and they weigh a good bit more which should help with traction. I certainly have enough HP but I don't have enough traction.

I stayed away from HST for four reasons, added complextiy, more money, HP robber, and I'm used to driving a manual tranny vehicle already. The later was the most important reason for safety sake. My left leg is already "trained" to use a clutch. There is to much muscle memory in that leg to change things! :cool: I know I would have a problem driving my truck and the tractor if they operated differently.

With the PowerReverser tranny to go forward you throw the lever on the left side of the tractor up/forward. The lever is place where a turn signal indicator would be in an auto. The PowerReverser lever in the middle position is neutral and back to the operator is reverse. If moving forward and wanted to go in reverse you can to one of two things. Put the lever in neutral or clutch the tractor. Once it stops, put the lever in reverse and off you go. Very simple. But see my early comments about muscle memory. With the PowerReverser you don't need to clutch. I clutch all the time when I want to stop/slow down. Just to many years of habit. And in an emergency situation you are going to go with the training/muscle memory. Been There Done That on the tractor. I hit the cluch and not the PowerReverser lever.

Now, the problem I have with the PowerReverser is that dang lever. Since it is like the turn signal lever I find myself getting ready to back up the truck and reaching PowerReverse and turning on a lane change light! :cool:

Hope this helps....
Dan McCarty

/ jd 4600
THANKS DAN GOING TO LOOK NOW

/ jd 4600
Well made it back finally, the weather is not cooperating much..

Well the hydro is pretty smooth but hard (muscle memory as Dan says) The price and the 80hrs is a big pusher to go that way..Its cleaner then the dealer said, looks absoultely new.. It has the third scv and canopy of course r-4's and hydro. Iam not to sure about the front axle but it has a year left on warranty so I could get fixed/replaced if old style. Ran the 4700 w/12x12 rev. was great really liked it and the compact feel vs the 5105. Although the 5105 was great but not sure I like the trans for loader work.. Got alot to chew on, and to top it off going new would allow for 6.9% on the 4xxseries..