Price Check Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #1  

ducati996

Banned
Tractor
jd4100, Cub Cadet 3204 & Cub 125
I wanted to find out as much as possible regarding a snow thrower option for the front only for a 4100 series (gear).
Currently have the 410 loader w/ a 61 bucket. Using a bucket
seems very tedious and slow ( could be wrong) but I really want a thrower....anybody have a front thower? opinions? prices?
How much of the loader do I need to remove for the thrower, the complete unit of just the bucket?

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #2  
Re: Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & ot

I don't like snow blowers for attachments as they are one role attachments. You can use a loader for many things, but a snow blower
is an expensive weight for more than half the year. I live in New Hampshire and my neighbors and myself own a total of (5) utility
tractors among us and no one uses a snow blower they all use their
FEL(s). My father owns a snowblower for his JD 455 and loves it, but
I think he should have just used his loader and saved some money.

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #3  
Have you given thought to a rear snowblower? They can be purchased for much less $ than front and you maintain the use of the FEL? Lot's of people don't like having to look backwards all the time, but you pay a lot of money for the front snowblower. I can't give you solid numbers, but I remeber pricing both front and rear at the dealer and the difference was substantial.

Bob

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #4  

Id go w/ a rear mount just b/c of cost. First youll have to drop your loader and second front moutned blowers are way expensive. The rear mount (which is what I have) was less than half the cost of a front mount. As for using only the loader: If you only have a small amt to move then the loader would be fine. However, if its anything more than that and you live in an area that gets a large snawfall then a blower is the only way to go. (Then again if you have lots of time on your hands it probably doesnt matter.) Blowing is far more effiecent. Theres no backing up, pushing, laoding, unloading etc....just continusous snow removal. Yes, the blower does sit around for the spring, summer and fall but so do other implements. I wouldnt base the decision solely on multiuse of an implement. jimg

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #5  

Bob,
As for looking backwards Ive found that exc for loader work Im doing that anyway esp when mowing (up hills or backing into areas that cant be mowed straight in). As for blowing snow its a down and back affair and your finished so its cant be too terrible unless you have very long stretches. I agree w/ you on price....front blowers are really expensive and you loose the loader as well. Seems that a rear mount and loader go together. jimg

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others
I thank you guys for the responses....I'm looking specifically at the front blowers...I cant spend time looking over my shoulder !! I have been spoiled I guess the last 30 years because I recently had a Cub 125 with a single stage blower.
The unit was the best, and never let me down. I recently
pick up Cubs newer 3204 series with this task in mind, then stumbled on this never been used 4100 Deere. So its going to be a blower either way because I know what I had. I just dont know which tractor will win on the attachment choice.
I do prefer the 4100 because of size & 4wd capability, and I wont need weights or chains (it now has loaded tires)...
As for the price for any attachment, isnt everything expensive these days? has that stopped any of us ?

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #7  

If you get any ice during the winter you should rethink the chains. Here in NH itll get cold freezing the ground, warm up and rain then turn cold again. The ground never has a chance to thaw so the water just stands around waiting to refreeze....which it does. This puts a layer of ice down which isnt fun even w/ a walk behind blower much less something big and heavy like a tractor.

As for the blower just be prepared for a fairly hefty price. When I priced them earlier this spring a front mount was a bit more than $4k and the rear mount was about $1.5K. In the end they came down to a bit more than 1K for the rear mount. The up side of rear mount is the ability to use the loader for cleanup.

The reason I went w/ a rear mount was due to price. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #8  
I don't know how long your driveway is, but I do mine (200') with a little garden tractor and front blade, no blower at all. I tried it with my JD 4600 w/460 loader and the 48" blade on the garden tractor was a LOT quicker. In Maine we get some pretty good snowfalls and I would think adding a front blade to your tractor would be all you really need if your driveway isn't too long. A 54" front blade for your tractor is about a grand....

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #9  

According to my dealer, a front blower for a 4100 should run about $2500 total including all of the "kits" you need for the front attachments. Front blowers are considerably more on the mid sized (4200 +) tractors. The 4100 series use a 47", whereas the larger size tractors use a 60." Personally I prefer the smaller blower because it can be used on the walks.
I found through my shopping that moving up in tractor size can make a big difference in implement prices.

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #10  

Also, it has hydraulic chute rotation. You can also get a kit for hydraulic angle of the chute, I believe.