Buying Advice JD 328 Baler Purchase Questions

/ JD 328 Baler Purchase Questions #1  

FTV

Tractor
Jd3205
I have a IH 440 baler which is seriously showing its age blows shear bolts and knots on a regular basis and I don't really want to spend a lot on getting it tuned up this year. Got a shiny flyer from jd with 328 baler on sale. Wondering if the new ones are as good or better than the old ones. Anyone have experience with recent years of these balers? I only bale about 1200 bales per year. Any advice on new jd 328's appreciated. By the way where I live are virtually no used balers nearby maybe 1-2 per year come up for sale that are less than 40 years old and they seem to want near new price for them.

/ JD 328 Baler Purchase Questions #2  
JD balers are very good machines - IMO. Top ranking between NH and JD or other makes. I've not heard any real problems with the 328 except the initial purchase cost.... :eek: With only 1,200 bales a year - you should be able to work that baler for the next 10 years with little more than grease and twine!

AKfish

/ JD 328 Baler Purchase Questions #3  
JD balers are very good machines - IMO. Top ranking between NH and JD or other makes. I've not heard any real problems with the 328 except the initial purchase cost.... :eek: With only 1,200 bales a year - you should be able to work that baler for the next 10 years with little more than grease and twine!

AKfish

I agree.

We have a 337 Deere baler, about 1987 vintage. It's one size larger than the 328, but very similarly mechanical. It's made close to 100,000 bales now and just this past year we had to do the first repair on it, a new pulley on the end of the feed auger. Never touched the knotters or anything, just an amazingly reliably and well built baler. Keep it greased and properly adjusted and it should last the rest of your life making 1200 bales/yr.

/ JD 328 Baler Purchase Questions #4  
I bought a new 328 in 2011. We bale around 10000 a year. So far it has worked flawlessly. Its amazing how large of a windrow you can run through it. Paid about $16000 for mine. It came with the hydraulic tongue bracket, and put the cylinder and hoses on. Also came with extended bale chute and rear hitch.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TractorByNet

/ JD 328 Baler Purchase Questions #5  
ForumRunner_20130303_182623.png

ForumRunner_20130303_182711.png

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TractorByNet

/ JD 328 Baler Purchase Questions #6  
I will chime in, a little late... we love our JD 328. Bought it late last season from Shoppa's. Been a great machine so far. I was using it behind my 5045D but we upgraded this year to a 5083e. I put my first bales on the ground yesterday...man I love a/c!!