2012 vs 2013 X300 issue

/ 2012 vs 2013 X300 issue #1  

eagleguy

Tractor
x300
I'm new to this forum but I recently made a John Deere purchase which causes me some concern. Here's my story

On 02/28/13 I purchased a "new" x300 from my local John Deere dealer on the last day of the $500 off promotion. I thought I was buying a 2013 model but upon checking the serial number I have learned that it is in fact a 2012 model allegedly made in 12/2012. Is this a common selling practice? When I questioned the dealer he said it made no difference and that if I really wanted a 2013 (which are available) I would have to wait for one to come in and it would not have the rebate. My concern is that I believe what I purchased was a leftover and the dealer should have told me it was a 2012 model, should he have told me?
Not that I plan on reselling the unit anytime soon but has it already depreciated like a leftover model year car? When and if I went to sell it although my purchase receipt would say the lawn mower was purchased in 2013 it is actually a 2012 year model. Will this be an issue or am I over reacting? Are there any differences between the two years? All opinions are appreciated.

/ 2012 vs 2013 X300 issue #2  
Welcome to the forum.
I think you are over reacting. Tractors are not like cars in that each model year is greatly different from the previous year.Your tractor is not a leftover just because it sat in the dealer for a few weeks.
I would say congrats on the purchase and enjoy your machine.

/ 2012 vs 2013 X300 issue #3  
The model years of tractors are considered on the year that they are sold and put into service. not the year they are manufactured. And the model year has very little weight anyway in value and trades. The important thing is how many hours, and the general condition of the machine.

James K0UA

/ 2012 vs 2013 X300 issue
I guess my concern is based on the fact that I convinced myself to get the X300 over a D130 even though I hear it has the same tranny. I spent about 1K more on the 300 which I thought was a 2013 model year. I recently killed the tranny on my L111 with 249 hours which led me to shopping for a new riding lawn mower. In today’s economy I’m just trying to get the best deal I can and look at things more as an investment.

/ 2012 vs 2013 X300 issue #5  
I guess my concern is based on the fact that I convinced myself to get the X300 over a D130 even though I hear it has the same tranny. I spent about 1K more on the 300 which I thought was a 2013 model year. I recently killed the tranny on my L111 with 249 hours which led me to shopping for a new riding lawn mower. In today’s economy I’m just trying to get the best deal I can and look at things more as an investment.

You would have been better served to move up one more notch to the 310 with the K58 tranny rather than the k46 all things considered. Since the mower is still new and had you asked before buying I would have recommended you buy the 310 or 320 to get the better transmission. You might want to see what you can work out with your dealer on that.

I have an L130 that started slipping or slowing down by the time it had 200+ hours on it, that is a common failure regardless of how well you take care of it. Solved the problem by buying a new x749, no problems with it so far and already have more hours on it than the older mower.

Thanks jenkinsph and everyone else for the comments and advice.
I haven’t actually taken delivery of the unit yet although it’s paid for and is scheduled to get delivered next week after dealer prep. Unfortunately, I am not in the position at this time to go more than what I paid for the X300 so the higher priced models are not an option at this time. My choices in the end were either the 130 or the 300. I'm hoping if I do have any issues it will be during the 4 year warranty period which is one of the reasons I picked the 300 over the 130.Is there anything else out there I should have considered in the 1000-3000 price range??

Last edited:
   / 2012 vs 2013 X300 issue #7  
In that price range I think the X300 is the best you can do.

/ 2012 vs 2013 X300 issue #8  
Thanks jenkinsph and everyone else for the comments and advice.
I haven’t actually taken delivery of the unit yet although it’s paid for and is scheduled to get delivered next week after dealer prep. Unfortunately, I am not in the position at this time to go more than what I paid for the X300 so the higher priced models are not an option at this time. My choices in the end were either the 130 or the 300. I'm hoping if I do have any issues it will be during the 4 year warranty period which is one of the reasons I picked the 300 over the 130.Is there anything else out there I should have considered in the 1000-3000 price range??

I agree with the comments provided by other's as well. If you're looking at this purchase a an "investment" and something you'd like to maintain for a long duration - negotiate with your dealer on a X310-320. Especially if you're buying the tractor on a 0% finance plan.

Better to work a deal now - you'll take an even bigger kick to the pants in 4 years!

AKfish

/ 2012 vs 2013 X300 issue #9  
Agree w/ everything said. As a current lawn and garden dealer and a former Deere dealer, the model year
is not what resale is determined on. Manufacturers may make the same model for 5-7 yrs. w/ little or no changes through the whole run of that model. They were making X300's when I got out in '09 ( they started in '06?) and I'm not even sure they made a change in that whole time frame.
If you are going to change models, now is the time to do it, especially before it is delivered. You do have 30 days under the JD promise to take it back and get the full price for a trade or return. I assume they are still
doing that.

Thanks for the info engine 29,
I'd inquired about moving up in the X series before settling on the X300. Dealer told me there was basically no wiggle room except for the upfront $500 rebate which put the other prices out of my reach. Best I did was get free delivery, an extra set of mulching blades and the option of having the dealer install the mulching kit and canopy I bought with the mower which were not discounted.