I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy"

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #81  
Update: my dealer finally called me today to tell me my loader was in and they'd be picking up y tractor Monday. Took a little longer then I expected and apparently they had a hard time finding a loader to fit my 5203. Does the 553 not fit it?

Did you work thru the pricing and option build on JD's website via the "Build your own" for the 553 loader? In the past, when I was looking for different attachments, implements; the "Build-Your-Own" process allows you to add mounting hardware, etc. for older model tractors.

That's how I knew the newer, 300CX loader would fit on my old, JD 970 tractor.

AKfish

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy"
Did you work thru the pricing and option build on JD's website via the "Build your own" for the 553 loader? In the past, when I was looking for different attachments, implements; the "Build-Your-Own" process allows you to add mounting hardware, etc. for older model tractors.

That's how I knew the newer, 300CX loader would fit on my old, JD 970 tractor.

AKfish

Yeah I played around with it several times and kept checkin different bucket sizes and differences in universal skid steer and global. He even said the 553 would fit when I asked him. My guess is they're about to replace the 553 and just haven't told anyone about it yet. I knew he wouldn't be able to find a 522. I'd rather have the 553 though.

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #83  
Yeah I played around with it several times and kept checkin different bucket sizes and differences in universal skid steer and global. He even said the 553 would fit when I asked him. My guess is they're about to replace the 553 and just haven't told anyone about it yet. I knew he wouldn't be able to find a 522. I'd rather have the 553 though.

The late serial# 5003 series tractors (green chassis) are almost identical to the 5E series. The 553 loader will bolt up to either with the same mounts so that shouldn't have been an issue.

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #84  
PAPE is the mega dealer I refer to that wouldn't work with me, but that's just one data point.
I must admit, I have never even asked about buying, a new tractor or even used one.. the statement in another post on this thread- about limiting availability, reminded me of the tactic used by a large unnamed oil company, closing their Bakersfield refinery ,which apparently was the most efficient and most profitable of the refineries they owned.
They were then able to short the supply, also limit total production capability and drive up the demand, therefore price...

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy"
The late serial# 5003 series tractors (green chassis) are almost identical to the 5E series. The 553 loader will bolt up to either with the same mounts so that shouldn't have been an issue.

That's what I learned while doing my research, and also confirmed it with my dealer when ordering. I have no idea why they had such a tough time finding a loader but that's what they told me.

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #86  
That's what I learned while doing my research, and also confirmed it with my dealer when ordering. I have no idea why they had such a tough time finding a loader but that's what they told me.

Maybe, they figured if they drug the process out long enough you'd throw up your hands and just buy a new tractor! :laughing:

AKfish

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #87  
When my dealer ordered the 300cx loader for my tractor, it took 3 weeks to get. He told me that not many people add a loader down the road. Most of them get it when they buy tractor.

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #88  
Maybe, they figured if they drug the process out long enough you'd throw up your hands and just buy a new tractor! :laughing:

AKfish

You may be right, AK. A friend who uses his older JD for everything from fence building to brush hogging, etc., needed a new plate to go under his rig, last fall. Called the dealer, in the town he is in, and was quoted $320 for the part, so he ordered it. 2 weeks later, got a call, that the part was in, and when he went to pick it up, was told it was $720! He said he was quoted $320, but was told again that it was $720. He told them to keep it and stuff it. He later called to talk to the manager about this issue. Manager said he remembered quoting the price of $320, so was going to check into the difference.

Manager called the friend back and informed him that, as of June last year, if the tractor is over 10 years old, the price is now doubled.

The friend is another who can build/modify anything, so used a piece of scrap sheet metal and welded on needed pieces, and made the part himself for about $18. Word gets out on this, and they keep this policy and many of us will change brand loyalty.

I think it is just JD's way to try to get folks to buy a new tractor.

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #89  
You may be right, AK. A friend who uses his older JD for everything from fence building to brush hogging, etc., needed a new plate to go under his rig, last fall. Called the dealer, in the town he is in, and was quoted $320 for the part, so he ordered it. 2 weeks later, got a call, that the part was in, and when he went to pick it up, was told it was $720! He said he was quoted $320, but was told again that it was $720. He told them to keep it and stuff it. He later called to talk to the manager about this issue. Manager said he remembered quoting the price of $320, so was going to check into the difference.

Manager called the friend back and informed him that, as of June last year, if the tractor is over 10 years old, the price is now doubled.

The friend is another who can build/modify anything, so used a piece of scrap sheet metal and welded on needed pieces, and made the part himself for about $18. Word gets out on this, and they keep this policy and many of us will change brand loyalty.

I think it is just JD's way to try to get folks to buy a new tractor.
the dealer apparently can't do basic math either because doubling $320 is $640 not $720 , Oh that error go's in the dealers favor to??!!?? I guess (nothin runs like a deere) is going to have to mean it never breaks down, to come out a head after your tractor is over ten years old... Can't believe that this really happened, 10 year old, price doubling +penalty- If true :eek:

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #90  
the dealer apparently can't do basic math either because doubling $320 is $640 not $720 , Oh that error go's in the dealers favor to??!!?? I guess (nothin runs like a deere) is going to have to mean it never breaks down, to come out a head after your tractor is over ten years old... Can't believe that this really happened, 10 year old, price doubling +penalty- If true :eek:

I said the same thing, and the price had increased (from $320-360) during shipment, THEN was doubled. Not good for those of us that like our older stuff, and know it will run a lot longer, with a few parts here and there.