Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Tractor
    about to buy

    Default Re: Noob getting analysis paralysis

    Thanks guys. The point you've been making got driven home today. The brush cutter was fun but again it was running out of steam. I'll adjust the blade belt and sharpen the blade again but the brambles are too thick. It does a good job but I've got to go slow. I can now see it will be the same with the tractor.

    Locally there is a 990, 4wd, 100 hours, no implements, asking $12,500. There is a 4400, 4wd, 1400 hours, MX5 brush hog and 5 ft blade, asking $10,500. If I'm willing, there is a Ford 4630, (60 hp) no implements, asking $8,950. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I see the 4400 as comparable to the 970. I may wear it out in 4 or 5 years but I won't have to find a brush hog and blade. The 990 is a step up in power but I'll have to find attachments. The Ford has plenty of power but again no attachments. I'll call and see if I can put hands on them tomorrow. No loader on any of them but mowing is the high priority. I'm guessing a brush hog will do a passable job mowing, the pasture grass is pretty thick.

    On a fun note, my wife and youngest boy came down late today. I surprised them by lighting a fire. They stopped in town and surprised me by picking up graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows. Yumm! S'mores.

    Thanks again.

  2. #12
    Super Member AKfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,083
    Location
    Kasilof, Alaska
    Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

    Default Re: Noob getting analysis paralysis

    Quote Originally Posted by 95XL883 View Post
    Thanks guys. The point you've been making got driven home today. The brush cutter was fun but again it was running out of steam. I'll adjust the blade belt and sharpen the blade again but the brambles are too thick. It does a good job but I've got to go slow. I can now see it will be the same with the tractor.

    Locally there is a 990, 4wd, 100 hours, no implements, asking $12,500. There is a 4400, 4wd, 1400 hours, MX5 brush hog and 5 ft blade, asking $10,500. If I'm willing, there is a Ford 4630, (60 hp) no implements, asking $8,950. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I see the 4400 as comparable to the 970. I may wear it out in 4 or 5 years but I won't have to find a brush hog and blade. The 990 is a step up in power but I'll have to find attachments. The Ford has plenty of power but again no attachments. I'll call and see if I can put hands on them tomorrow. No loader on any of them but mowing is the high priority. I'm guessing a brush hog will do a passable job mowing, the pasture grass is pretty thick.

    On a fun note, my wife and youngest boy came down late today. I surprised them by lighting a fire. They stopped in town and surprised me by picking up graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows. Yumm! S'mores.

    Thanks again.
    The 4400 would be a step up from the 970; same playing field as the 1070. That's a good thing - IMO. And, there's a couple of much needed attachments in the deal!

    Hope that it's in good shape.

    AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

  3. #13
    Super Member tcreeley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,564
    Location
    New England Yankee living in Central Maine
    Tractor
    NH TC30

    Default Re: Noob getting analysis paralysis

    You wife might like you to have a "blue tulip" -what my wife calls our New Holland tractor!
    2003 NH TC30, 5' International Agritech Bushog, Hiller/Bedder, + miscellaneous and sundry items of use.

  4. #14
    Platinum Member bucktaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    834
    Location
    Sw Ohio
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740

    Default Re: Noob getting analysis paralysis

    conside the Ford seriously they made some really good utility tractors . It would be along the saem as the poster with 2030. All in all color doesnt make a tractor, its how its mantained and used. From the pieces u have listed i would really only be interested in the Ford. Buy your implements used and one at a time.
    Kubota L5740 La854
    MF 35 Deluxe gas wloader...For sale

  5. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,392
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Noob getting analysis paralysis

    Quote Originally Posted by bucktaker View Post
    conside the Ford seriously they made some really good utility tractors . It would be along the saem as the poster with 2030. All in all color doesnt make a tractor, its how its mantained and used. From the pieces u have listed i would really only be interested in the Ford. Buy your implements used and one at a time.

    I agree that the Ford will get alot more done in the long run. Tractors that are too small for the job burn up alot of daylight. I also agree with buying the implements one at a time as you can afford them. Just make sure you get equipment that is the correct size for your needs.

  6. #16
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Tractor
    about to buy

    Default Re: Noob getting analysis paralysis

    Thanks again for the help. The 4400 sold before I could see it. The 990 is very clean but no implements. I haven't been able to get a hold of the 4630 owner yet. I'll keep my eyes open and find something.

  7. #17
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    711
    Location
    Brampton, On\lot Powassan, ON Canada
    Tractor
    Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200

    Default Re: Noob getting analysis paralysis

    Wow, 50-70 HP. I have 195 acres and there is no way I could ever see myself maintaining my trails and roads with such a large tractor. You would not be able to navigate most of my skiing and hiking trails with a large tractor like that. I think you are looking at the right size tractors for you intended use. To be fair, I am from the side of TBN who looks for any excuse to get on the tractor, so the longer it takes, the more smile lines I get on my face.
    Unimogdave

  8. #18
    Super Member AKfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,083
    Location
    Kasilof, Alaska
    Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

    Default Re: Noob getting analysis paralysis

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    Just make sure you get equipment that is the correct size for your needs.
    That fairly well sums things up...

    AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Video Analysis
    By chopped in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 02:55 PM
  2. Oil & Fuel Oil analysis
    By Cat_Driver in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 11:54 PM
  3. Paralysis of analysis
    By danbuf in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 01:40 PM
  4. Oil Analysis
    By wen in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-17-2000, 08:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.