Noob getting analysis paralysis

/ Noob getting analysis paralysis
Thanks guys. The point you've been making got driven home today. The brush cutter was fun but again it was running out of steam. I'll adjust the blade belt and sharpen the blade again but the brambles are too thick. It does a good job but I've got to go slow. I can now see it will be the same with the tractor.

Locally there is a 990, 4wd, 100 hours, no implements, asking $12,500. There is a 4400, 4wd, 1400 hours, MX5 brush hog and 5 ft blade, asking $10,500. If I'm willing, there is a Ford 4630, (60 hp) no implements, asking $8,950. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I see the 4400 as comparable to the 970. I may wear it out in 4 or 5 years but I won't have to find a brush hog and blade. The 990 is a step up in power but I'll have to find attachments. The Ford has plenty of power but again no attachments. I'll call and see if I can put hands on them tomorrow. No loader on any of them but mowing is the high priority. I'm guessing a brush hog will do a passable job mowing, the pasture grass is pretty thick.

On a fun note, my wife and youngest boy came down late today. I surprised them by lighting a fire. They stopped in town and surprised me by picking up graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows. Yumm! S'mores.

Thanks again.

/ Noob getting analysis paralysis #12  
Thanks guys. The point you've been making got driven home today. The brush cutter was fun but again it was running out of steam. I'll adjust the blade belt and sharpen the blade again but the brambles are too thick. It does a good job but I've got to go slow. I can now see it will be the same with the tractor.

Locally there is a 990, 4wd, 100 hours, no implements, asking $12,500. There is a 4400, 4wd, 1400 hours, MX5 brush hog and 5 ft blade, asking $10,500. If I'm willing, there is a Ford 4630, (60 hp) no implements, asking $8,950. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I see the 4400 as comparable to the 970. I may wear it out in 4 or 5 years but I won't have to find a brush hog and blade. The 990 is a step up in power but I'll have to find attachments. The Ford has plenty of power but again no attachments. I'll call and see if I can put hands on them tomorrow. No loader on any of them but mowing is the high priority. I'm guessing a brush hog will do a passable job mowing, the pasture grass is pretty thick.

On a fun note, my wife and youngest boy came down late today. I surprised them by lighting a fire. They stopped in town and surprised me by picking up graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows. Yumm! S'mores.

Thanks again.

The 4400 would be a step up from the 970; same playing field as the 1070. That's a good thing - IMO. And, there's a couple of much needed attachments in the deal! :thumbsup:

Hope that it's in good shape.

AKfish

/ Noob getting analysis paralysis #13  
You wife might like you to have a "blue tulip" -what my wife calls our New Holland tractor!

/ Noob getting analysis paralysis #14  
conside the Ford seriously they made some really good utility tractors . It would be along the saem as the poster with 2030. All in all color doesnt make a tractor, its how its mantained and used. From the pieces u have listed i would really only be interested in the Ford. Buy your implements used and one at a time.

/ Noob getting analysis paralysis #15  
conside the Ford seriously they made some really good utility tractors . It would be along the saem as the poster with 2030. All in all color doesnt make a tractor, its how its mantained and used. From the pieces u have listed i would really only be interested in the Ford. Buy your implements used and one at a time.

I agree that the Ford will get alot more done in the long run. Tractors that are too small for the job burn up alot of daylight. I also agree with buying the implements one at a time as you can afford them. Just make sure you get equipment that is the correct size for your needs.

/ Noob getting analysis paralysis
Thanks again for the help. The 4400 sold before I could see it. The 990 is very clean but no implements. I haven't been able to get a hold of the 4630 owner yet. I'll keep my eyes open and find something.

/ Noob getting analysis paralysis #17  
Wow, 50-70 HP. I have 195 acres and there is no way I could ever see myself maintaining my trails and roads with such a large tractor. You would not be able to navigate most of my skiing and hiking trails with a large tractor like that. I think you are looking at the right size tractors for you intended use. To be fair, I am from the side of TBN who looks for any excuse to get on the tractor, so the longer it takes, the more smile lines I get on my face.

/ Noob getting analysis paralysis #18  
Just make sure you get equipment that is the correct size for your needs.

That fairly well sums things up... :thumbsup:

AKfish