Buying Advice Used 3320 vs. New 3520

/ Used 3320 vs. New 3520 #1  

badels

Tractor
JD 3520 w/Cab
Hey guys, I know this question has been asked before, but I am hoping for some advise. I am currently an open station red tractor owner looking to switch to a Green Cab Model. My main uses for the tractor are snow removal, road maintenance, Brush hog mowing (6 acres a couple times a year) and loader work. My main question is it worth the extra $10,000 for a new 3520 over a very nice used 3320 with 400 hours. I thought the 3320 was new when I first saw it. I don't know how the previous owner put so many hours on it and it still looks as good as it does. Speaking of: is 400 hours alot on one of these tractors? I have test drove the 3320 and it is smooth and operates very nice, but the dealer does not have a 3520 on the lot to try. Power has never been an issue with my current tractor which is very comparable to the 3320. Any advise or suggestions from owners out there would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Brad

/ Used 3320 vs. New 3520 #2  
I would go with the 3320. the 3320 can do everything the 3520 can do. Especially for what you want to do with it. Pocket that 10,000 dollars and put the money to use elsewhere. 400 hours on that machine is nothing at all. 400 hours is still a new machine. You don't need to test drive the 3520 because you wont notice anything during a test drive.

/ Used 3320 vs. New 3520 #3  
Well.. 400 hours is 2 oil changes and still has another 100hrs to go before the 3rd (break-in @ 100hrs and every 200 after that). So, that's not a lot of hours or use on that tractor.

Couple of questions and observations. First observation is that Casper, WY gets hot in the summer, real hot and if you do a search here on TBN you'll find some comments regarding cabbed, 3320's and being short on power when brush hogging, etc. in summer running the air conditioner and the eHydro tranny (that eats ~5hp more than the reverser tranny).

That's not nearly as much of a problem with the turbo'ed 3520! With 6 acres of brush hogging 2-3 times a summer you might just find that extra $10K was a better, long-term investment.

Do you have (or planning to keep) your current attachments? Rear blade, box blade, brush hog mower, etc. The 3520 will be able to power many attachments that are another foot larger than what the 3320 will reliably work. Where you'd be using 5 foot equipment with the 3320; you can gear up to 6 foot attachments with the 3520. That may or may not be an advantage; especially if you're gonna have to go out and buy those implements!

The next question is financing terms. I haven't looked at the "up-to-the-minute" financing deals that Deere offers but, it seems that they might still have 0% for new tractors versus higher rates for used. Over the term of the loan - the initial $10K - is actually less when compared to financing a loan for used equipment.

Final observation is warranty. You'll have 90 days (likely) on the 3320 and a year on the 3520. If you have any kind of a problem in that first year - that $10K difference will shrink even more. So, work the numbers and see how close the 2 tractors really are in price and how one or the other will best fit your needs.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ Used 3320 vs. New 3520 #4  
Well.. 400 hours is 2 oil changes and still has another 100hrs to go before the 3rd (break-in @ 100hrs and every 200 after that). So, that's not a lot of hours or use on that tractor.

Couple of questions and observations. First observation is that Casper, WY gets hot in the summer, real hot and if you do a search here on TBN you'll find some comments regarding cabbed, 3320's and being short on power when brush hogging, etc. in summer running the air conditioner and the eHydro tranny (that eats ~5hp more than the reverser tranny).

That's not nearly as much of a problem with the turbo'ed 3520! With 6 acres of brush hogging 2-3 times a summer you might just find that extra $10K was a better, long-term investment.

Do you have (or planning to keep) your current attachments? Rear blade, box blade, brush hog mower, etc. The 3520 will be able to power many attachments that are another foot larger than what the 3320 will reliably work. Where you'd be using 5 foot equipment with the 3320; you can gear up to 6 foot attachments with the 3520. That may or may not be an advantage; especially if you're gonna have to go out and buy those implements!

The next question is financing terms. I haven't looked at the "up-to-the-minute" financing deals that Deere offers but, it seems that they might still have 0% for new tractors versus higher rates for used. Over the term of the loan - the initial $10K - is actually less when compared to financing a loan for used equipment.

Final observation is warranty. You'll have 90 days (likely) on the 3320 and a year on the 3520. If you have any kind of a problem in that first year - that $10K difference will shrink even more. So, work the numbers and see how close the 2 tractors really are in price and how one or the other will best fit your needs.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ Used 3320 vs. New 3520 #5  
10g's is alot of money...I have a 3320 open station, and like it alot. But if you could get the 3520 down some, that would be tempting...

/ Used 3320 vs. New 3520 #6  

Good luck.

AKfish

Took the words right out of my mouth, or keyboard.

Once you do the math, you will find it is not nearly a 10K difference. One big factor alone is the 0% interest. Whenever I can get 0% interest, I use it to the fullest. Why? Because in that situation, it costs you NOTHING to use someone elses money. At 0%, I have no remorse about borrowing. It costs you nothing in interest, why not get the brand new machine, with full warranty, and a fresh start?

Power wise, there is a very noticeable difference. The 3520 is turbocharged, the 3320 is not. The turbo makes a world of difference, and the 3520 engine is rated at higher HP as well. The 3320 IS under powered when running an implement with A/C on. A/C + eHydro + implement is a ton of power being demanded from a small naturally aspirated engine.

/ Used 3320 vs. New 3520 #7  
What size brush hog? A/C will rob some power so keep that in mind.

/ Used 3320 vs. New 3520 #8  
Took the words right out of my mouth, or keyboard.

Once you do the math, you will find it is not nearly a 10K difference. One big factor alone is the 0% interest. Whenever I can get 0% interest, I use it to the fullest. Why? Because in that situation, it costs you NOTHING to use someone elses money. At 0%, I have no remorse about borrowing. It costs you nothing in interest, why not get the brand new machine, with full warranty, and a fresh start?

Power wise, there is a very noticeable difference. The 3520 is turbocharged, the 3320 is not. The turbo makes a world of difference, and the 3520 engine is rated at higher HP as well. The 3320 IS under powered when running an implement with A/C on. A/C + eHydro + implement is a ton of power being demanded from a small naturally aspirated engine.
I think your gonna upset a few 3320 cab owners. Do you have actual evidence of people of with 3320 being that much underpowered?

/ Used 3320 vs. New 3520 #9  
0% is not free, its prepaid interest.

/ Used 3320 vs. New 3520 #10  
I drive a 3520 with 500 hours and still looking almost new. I have never felt it lacked power (contrary to my previous Massey 35). I would definitely go for the 3320.