Bought a new JD 1026R TLB!!!

/ Bought a new JD 1026R TLB!!! #1  

Green Guy

Bronze Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 1026R TLB
Sooo... I pulled the trigger on a 1026R TLB... It's one of the last ones available in New England. I'm super pumped and can't wait to get it home!

I know there is an owners manual and a service manual, but have some basic maintenance questions and I'm sure I'll get different answers, but welcome the guidance.

- When should I do the first oil change? 25 hours?
- Should I run JD break-in oil until about 100 hours?
- When can I switch to JD synthetic oil and should it be 15W-40 as well?
- When should the tranny/hydro/axle fluid be changed?
- What should I be running for a diesel fuel additive. The tractor will be stored in my garage and/or shed and may sit for extender periods of time between projects. I know JD makes an additive... Thinking that is the best one to run? Is it also a stabilizer as well?

Is there a recommended online seller of parts such as oil, filters, repair parts, etc., or is the dealer the best or only source of obtaining parts? I'm a car guy and I'm used to ordering any part I need online from various establishments and having the ability to shop pricing.

Is there anything else the I should be cognizant of as far as maintenance, etc., with the 1026?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, looks like I need to get my screen name changed?! Can that be done? Hahahaha

Last edited:
   / Bought a new JD 1026R TLB!!! #2  
I won't chime in on most, but am eagerly looking forward to reading the answers you get. The only thing I asked about at the dealership is the break-in oil. The mechanics told me it was just regular old oil. It calls for changing it at X amount of hours or yearly. If you don't make X by end of year change it. I then asked about break-in oil and they said "no," use what book calls for, there is no break in oil.

If that is wrong chime in.

/ Bought a new JD 1026R TLB!!! #3  
These are questions you need to ask the dealer as he has to warranty it, Congrats.

/ Bought a new JD 1026R TLB!!!
Yes, I'm especially interested to hear what others have been told / are doing in regards to oil/break-in oil/and moving or not moving to a synthetic.

/ Bought a new JD 1026R TLB!!!
These are questions you need to ask the dealer as he has to warranty it, Congrats.

Thank you.

The dealer basically said follow the maintenance schedule which I'm not going to do since it says 100 hours for an oil change for example... My belief is that maintenance schedules allow for long hours between fluid changes and aren't designed to optimize longevity of the components because they don't want your machine lasting 25 years... they want you buying something new as soon as possible. I know others are much more aggressive than the maintenance schedule, but would like to hear comments on what others are doing, etc.

/ Bought a new JD 1026R TLB!!! #6  
Is the 100 hours for the first oil change or the regular changes? My 2010 2320 manual said 50 hours for the first change and 200 hours or 1 year after that. 200 hours might seem like an upper limit, but 100 hours isn't all that much for a diesel. Like a lot of us, I only put 50 to 75 hours a year on the tractor, so I change it annually and it doesn't seem very used when I drain it.

/ Bought a new JD 1026R TLB!!! #7  
Doesn't anyone read or use the owners manual anymore

/ Bought a new JD 1026R TLB!!! #9  
Thank you.

The dealer basically said follow the maintenance schedule which I'm not going to do since it says 100 hours for an oil change for example... My belief is that maintenance schedules allow for long hours between fluid changes and aren't designed to optimize longevity of the components because they don't want your machine lasting 25 years... they want you buying something new as soon as possible. I know others are much more aggressive than the maintenance schedule, but would like to hear comments on what others are doing, etc.

I don't believe that for a minute. There is lots of old machinery out there, I have a 1967 MF 135 with over 5100 hours runs like a sewing machine. You follow that manual and only good things happen.

/ Bought a new JD 1026R TLB!!! #10  
Orange Man,
Recognize that tractor engines have larger oil pans and hold more oil to start with. I think what makes more sense is to change the oil at the prescribed intervals for the entire life of the tractor. Some people get lazy and when their tractor is older don't seem to takes as good a care as when it was new. Be consistent for the life of the tractor.