Comparison 1026r vs. 2520

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #1  

T Dew

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing almost the identical thread on here, but I cannot find it now. I also think my situation is slightly different than the original post. I have a 5075m that I use for most of my real work around the farm, but I need something smaller for tasks around the house and in the garden. The garden is about 200 x 80, and that is a bit tight for the big tractor. I also worry about compacting the soil with all that weight, so I am looking for something smaller I know the 1026r is a little small and barely even a tractor in some people's eyes, but I think it might work for me. I'm hoping someone can set straight or back my thinking.

It will be primarily used for the cleaning, mowing, and landscaping work around the house and tilling the garden. I will also do some backhoe work in the garden and around the house (the landscaping work). I would say I have about 2 acres of grass (max) to mow with it, some of that in on a hill or two. The hill or two worry me about the higher center of gravity on the 2520, and I also worry about the bigger tires. Granted the tires are nothing like the tires on my 5075m, but I still have seen the work they can do to my nice lawn. Ironically, the bigger tires on the 2520 bother me as much as the little tires do on the 1026r. I do not want to get into a situation where I get stuck in the garden or have trouble pulling the tiller or rake because of the little, wimpy tires.

They are not that different in price, so that is not really my deciding factor. It is nice to have a smaller tractor when it comes to parking it, but it also looks a little sad next to the 5075m. I will add that I have full use of a 4610 if/when the need for that medium size tractor shows itself.

I look forward to everyone's input, and I really appreciate the help. Over the last year this forum has proven invaluable in my move back to the country after far too long in the dreaded city.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #2  
I would go with the 2520 but I am not the lawn keeping type. I don't water it, that just makes it grow and then it needs to be mowed. HAHA. I think either one would be good. If you plow the garden with a large tractor like I do, going in with the smaller one is a bit of a roller coaster ride until you get the soil worked down. I sometimes hook my small 3 pt rototiller to the large tractor and go over it once, then switch it over to the little guy for the fine work. You will not regret a small garden size tractor for the little tight work.

/ 1026r vs. 2520
I drove the little 1026 around the dealer's lot a few times and decided it would be great to do the work in the tight quarters of the garden and around the house. It is the small tires and low clearance more than anything that makes me second guess the 1026. I worry it will get bogged down and stuck more easily than I would like. Getting stuck in the cute, little tractor would not make me feel too great about the purchase. Other than that, I cannot see a situation in which the 1026 would not do everything I would need. If I need to move more than the 600lbs or so the FEL can handle, I have the 5075m or the neighbor's 4610.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #4  
I think the 1026R will do everything you have described. A 54 or 60 inch deck gives a nice mow. A 48 inch tiller will work in the garden. As to the getting stuck, keep in mind when using, whoa this will not go where I have been taking the 5075m. I have seen people attempting to take a small tractor where I would not take a bull dozer and then complain when they got stuck.

I would also suggest being very careful about PTO lengths when using a PTO driven attachment on the rear. Several have reported damage in this area on the small compacts. Everything attachments has a nice video on how to measure and cut to insure the right length. A PTO shaft to long could cause damage when you drop the implement. I don't know if the three point lift is position control or up-and-down on the 1026r. If the up-and-down version when you go down with a PTO shaft to long something has to give and it usually is the rear of the tractor.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #5  
Backhoe work in the garden?? What, digging taters out?? LOL!!

Since you already have a larger tractor, and your wanting to do lawn mowing, I would stick with the 1026R size machine.. As far as your concern about getting stuck in the garden when tilling, remember your tiller turns forward so it will push you more than need being pulled (unless the tiller is reverse rotation). Also, I would stick with the 60" deck size, make trimming easier around trees and landscaping.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #6  
I had to read your original post a couple times to get an idea of what work you will be doing with the tractor. My take is primarily mowing, then heavier FEL and backhoe work???

If I correctly understand that part,,, then definitely step up to the bigger tractor. There might be a couple instances where the 2520 could scar the lawn a little, but the offset will be when you are doing dirt moving tasks. The 2520 will outwork the 1026 considerably. Lastly, the 2520 will be more comfortable to ride when mowing.

My JD2210 is the same basic tractor as the 1026. It's satisfactory for mowing, handles a 5' box blade and a 3pt tote box for hauling. But it would just aggravate me if I tried to use it with an FEL or backhoe. A little too small for such tasks.

Good luck with your decision!!!

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #7  
I have a Kubota BX and I can go up a extremely steep hill in reverse. I would not be worried about getting stuck with a 1026. Don't under estimate a SCUT.

/ 1026r vs. 2520
You've never harvested potatoes until you've done it with a backhoe. Or maybe VA just grows bigger taters than IL. The backhoe is not really for use in the garden, but I do plan to use it around the house for landscaping work such as removing existing shrubs and plants and digging new planting beds. My days or large digs with the shovel are hopefully behind me.

I'm happy to hear support for the SCUT's and feel a little more confident using it in the garden after reading your comments. The bigger tires for a more comfortable ride would be nice, but it would come at the cost of a higher center of gravity. That increases the pucker factor on a couple hills I do have to mow. As for moving anything more than a few hundred pounds I do have the FEL on the 5075M or the neighbors 4610. Eventually I'm looking to get an older tractor in the 4series size range, but that is down the road a bit. Right now I am searching for something to work the garden and mow mostly. I looked at the BX series a few times, but I've had great luck with my Deere dealer and a good dealer is worth a lot to me.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #9  
Even thought the 2520 is taller it is also wider.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #10  
Even thought the 2520 is taller it is also wider.

I owned and loved my 2210 which is the predecessor to the 1026 and new 1025R tractors. Its low profile was good under the smaller landscape trees and the 62c deck did a better job than neighbors' zero turns. I had no issues using the 210 loader with a ballast box. It was suited to grading my drive with 4 triaxles of processed road mix, but I made sure I took sensible bites at the pile, kept the bucket low and moved at a reasonable pace. The 2210 was very good with mulch as it was with construction debris.
I recently traded it in for a 2520, so I know where you are coming from. I will need to expand edged areas arround some trees as the machine is higher and wider. Also note that with the wider wheel base, the mmm deck will not extend as far beyond the wheels making trimming close to the house or other objects a bit more difficult. I made the switch because I ended up with a good trade in and got a good net price on the new machine. Plus my brother in law was bragging about how his nrw Mahindra 28 would kick my JD's butt--I wasn't going to listen to that too long!

Either choice will be fine.