Pallet Forks vs. Utility Forks

/ Pallet Forks vs. Utility Forks #1  

rmonio

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD B
Does anyone have experience with Pallet Forks or Utillity Forks and what the true differences may be? I ordered my HD bucket with the removable cutting edge today - at the same time I also ordered a set of pallet forks (not JD - these were $595). The dealer mentioned that if I didn't need the full functionality of the pallet forks, I could go with a Utility Fork attachment which has 1 1/2 " replacable tines across the front (up to 72" wide on the bucket attachment).

Anyone have any experiences to share? I guess I could use the utility fork to dig, move some boxes/logs, and still have the ability to spear hay bales with it (round or square) - but I was wondering what the real differences were (other than length of fork). Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

-Bob

/ Pallet Forks vs. Utility Forks #2  
Bob...

These utility forks may be manure tines.....an option that buyers have with the purchase of a JD bucket. If this is the case, then all they are good for is digging into manure piles....not good for digging into dirt piles or moving boxes and logs since the tines are awfully thin. If these tasks are what you want to do, I'd suggest the regular pallet forks might be the better attachment to use or a nice toothbar.

...Bob

/ Pallet Forks vs. Utility Forks #3  
My father in law made me some removable forks that attach to the bucket. He got some used forks from a fork lift company. We use them constantly. Picking up brush, moving implements, round bales, whatever. Next to the loader itself they are some of the handiest things for the tractor we have.

/ Pallet Forks vs. Utility Forks
Bob -

Thanks for the feedback. I posted the catalog snapshot in the attachments forum so you could see what they look like. The farmer next door pointed out the same thing you did - these are for manure and the pallet forks are a better choice. Therefore I'm going to go with them.

Thanks!

-Bob