Tractor Sizing JD 5065E, MX8 or MX10, Brillion Till N Seed

/ JD 5065E, MX8 or MX10, Brillion Till N Seed #1  

TTwoods

Tractor
John Deere 750
I need to take care of about 100 acres of hilly CRP. Slopes average about 10%, some significant areas of 20%.

Activities are overseeding clover into grass stands, and reseeding areas with grass/clover where custom no-till didn't work very well.

My plan is to mow close with either an MX8 or MX10 pull type rotary cutter, and seed with the Brillion.

My dealer is concerned that the 5065e (MFWD) may not handle the MX10. Other threads here seem to support his concern.

If the 5065e may not handle the MX10 in this situation, how big of a tractor would be needed?

Also, anyone have experience with the Brillion Till N Seed?

/ JD 5065E, MX8 or MX10, Brillion Till N Seed #2  
I have an mx10 behind my 5083E and its alot of mower. ITs a full mount 3pt hitch so its a heavy bugger. Now I have used it to mow everything from foot tall grass to over the tire height stuff. I just have enough power to run it in the tall stuff though. I would suggest the 8' unless you have thin grass or intend to mow more often. I would love to mow another gear or two faster but its great fun knocking down a 10ft width!

/ JD 5065E, MX8 or MX10, Brillion Till N Seed #3  
I would think a 5085M set all out nice and wide would be about perfect. My neighbor does mow his ditches with a 65 hp tractor and an mx10, but it's pretty ideal conditions. It's an older JD. I can't remember the model, but it's wider and heavier that the 5xxxE's

/ JD 5065E, MX8 or MX10, Brillion Till N Seed #4  
x3 here. You need more tractor for an MX-10. And, on hills and steeper grades the frame size and weight of the e could also make for some "tight moments"! I'd look more seriously at the MX-8 and go with the semi-mount, too.

Don't have an opinion on the Brillion Till N Seed. The Brillion culti-packer is a great implement, though!

AKfish

/ JD 5065E, MX8 or MX10, Brillion Till N Seed #5  
How would that 5083 handle the mx-10 if it were a pull behind instead of 3ph?

/ JD 5065E, MX8 or MX10, Brillion Till N Seed #6  
How would that 5083 handle the mx-10 if it were a pull behind instead of 3ph?

I'd have to believe that the tractor would be a lot more stable and safe when operating on steeper grades and hills.

AKfish

/ JD 5065E, MX8 or MX10, Brillion Till N Seed #7  
i can solve part of your prob.never get an 8 or 10ft 3pt shredder for any size tractor.why because its heck on the 3pt an hydro system.i dont care what hp your pulling it with.get the 10ft pull type an 85 or 95hp tractor from the start an be done with it.

/ JD 5065E, MX8 or MX10, Brillion Till N Seed #8  
i can solve part of your prob.never get an 8 or 10ft 3pt shredder for any size tractor.why because its heck on the 3pt an hydro system.i dont care what hp your pulling it with.get the 10ft pull type an 85 or 95hp tractor from the start an be done with it.

There ya go...! No more indecision -- git 'er done! :thumbsup:

AKfish