Buying Advice '79 JD 2040 w/145 FEL

/ '79 JD 2040 w/145 FEL #1  

3 Sisters Ranch

Tractor
MF1635
Local dealer (Kubota), Wa. State, has a '79 2040 diesel w/145 FEL. Curious beyond oil in coolant/coolant in oil issues, leaks, blow by from the engine and wrong hydro fluid which I understand will tear up wet brakes and pulling tranny fill plug it verify no oil mist are there many other "significant issues a guy can identify on the lot ? My thinking is to start it up let it run for 1/2 hr at various speeds, test drive for 15-20 minutes verify leaks, weeps and seeps. Tractor looks pretty darn straight, obviously shedded as it's original paint and doesn't look bad outside of what I deem normal wear and tear. Loader frame and bucket are straight with no obvious rust stains from weld cracks, bows or bends. So I suspect someone has not tried to turn it into a industrial version with digging, rock pulling or general mayhem. Hours ?? anyones guess, price $ 6700.00, but I'll dicker on that as it's been setting there better part of 4 months and he may have an interest in moving it off the lot.:licking:

/ '79 JD 2040 w/145 FEL #2  
Check for play in the steering, the pivot pin of the bellcrank (above front axle) tends to wear.
What trans? Reverser and HI-LO are expensive to repair.
If they have to jump it to start it plan on buying batteries (my 2030 JD uses two) not sure on this one.
Is the loader hydraulics hooked into the rear SCVs? Or are they free to use? My loader has it's own valve.
Sounds like a real good price.