New to me JD 2320.

/ New to me JD 2320. #1  

rshrimp

Tractor
JD 2320
Hello and good day to all. I joined because I just purchased a JD 2320 with a 54D deck, 200cx loader and quick hitch on the rear. It only has 117 hours but was kept outdoors. The PO hit something and cut a front tire a couple years ago and just parked it. I was able to get it for 10K.

So far I have drained the fuel tank and changed the fuel filter. (It runs fine now) I washed and waxed it and the paint now shines like new. Everythng was froze up (levers and controls) but I have now gone throgh 2 cans of penitrating oil and broke everthing free. I took a grease gun to it and I think it is the first time it's seen one but all the fitting took grease and everything seems fine. I had to rebuild the anti scalp wheels on the mower deck as they had never been greased. I have a new tire on order (Monday) and spent $130 at the dealer getting filters, oil, and other small parts like a replacment for the broken tail light. I was surprised at how resonable the parts prices were and that Everglades JD had everthing in stock!

So far I am very happy with my purchase. I just need to find a trailer now.

About me: I am a newly retired Electronics Engineer. I was a Professinal Auto Mechanic in a previous life. Nothing that I own is stock as I choose to modify things to make them better. I am a problem solver that has partisipated in many on-line special interest forums. Once I get going I nomally become a question answerer although I will start out out as a question asker.

/ New to me JD 2320. #2  
I believe the 2320 was notorious for the front drive shaft needing greased, I believe it isn't documented in the owners manual but there are several threads about doing it or failure resulting! After the neglect you have described I would get on that. Sounds like you know what you are doing, but from what I have read it is a job and a half to get to.

BTW, congratulations!

/ New to me JD 2320.
THANK YOU! This is exactly why I join these forums! I did a search and read about the driveshaft. I can't take the mower off until tomorrow when I get the new front tire on. I have been looking for grease fittings all weekend. I had not found the ones on the driveshaft.

Now I am going to go in search of a "Grease fitting map" for this tractor.

/ New to me JD 2320. #4  
Congrats on new tractor, seems like it has found a happy home. a few pics would not hurt. Enjoy your new purchase

/ New to me JD 2320. #5  
I believe the 2320 was notorious for the front drive shaft needing greased, I believe it isn't documented in the owners manual but there are several threads about doing it or failure resulting! After the neglect you have described I would get on that. Sounds like you know what you are doing, but from what I have read it is a job and a half to get to.

BTW, congratulations!

Congrats on the tractor. Welcome to TBN, more importantly to the green team!! ;)

The drive shaft grease fitting your searching are the ones between the engine and transmission. PITA to get to way up there for underneath.

Good luck!

/ New to me JD 2320.
Had mower off today. Cant get front fitting from below. I went ahead and cut the lower dash so I can get to the access cover. I did not cut all the way to the bottom which made it a PITA to get the lower bolt off the cover. Once off I can get my hand in there and grease the fitting no problem. I put the cover back on with only the top bolt so next time it is a simple as removing one bolt and waala.

Now I just need 3 new blades and a tach cable. Off to see "Green Santa" tomorrow!