Buying Advice New JD Tractor

/ New JD Tractor #1  

pdpd1

Tractor
John Deere
Hi to all,

I'm looking to buy my first tractor. I have about 5 acres of pasture to mow here in California (flat terrain with slight roll in some areas), as well as other maintenance projects to accomplish in the near future, such as leveling some potholes, laying down some gravel on a small road, transporting gravel, rock, etc. Mostly light duty stuff. I was thinking of purchasing the x500 series lawn mower with some attachments, but decided to go a bit larger. I've ironed it down to a 1025R, with a D120 Loader, BB2048L Box Blade and RC2048 Mower, with a i-Match Quick Hitch. List is $18,422.00 according to JD's build your own pricing. Two questions for you experienced owners: 1) Is my choice of tractor and attachments okay? (I would like a backhoe, but would rather pay a friend for the use of his much large backhoe than spend $6,000 for a smaller one for this tractor). 2) What type of price would be reasonable to look for?

As I want to do this right the first time, I'm open to any and all suggestions and comments.

Thank you very much!

/ New JD Tractor #2  
I think I would check on a 3032E if you want to do any ground engaging work or to be more economical have your friend do these projects with the larger backhoe and get a good mower to make quick work of the 5 acres. In most cases fixing some depressions and repairing a driveway is a quick job that doesn't need much future maintenance but mowing would be constant, make sure you have the mowing well covered. A 72-84" rear finish mower would save you some time.

/ New JD Tractor #3  
I have a 3032E and use it to tend to the chores on 10 acres of ground. Has kept me smiling the whole time I have used it. I have roughly 700' of driveway I take care of and dress with a 60" box blade. I currently use a 48" bush hog to keep the fields mowed down, but the tractor could easily handle a 60", which I am thinking of getting before summer sets in. I completely graveled the driveway last summer with the FEL and box blade. Its a handy little tractor to have and easy to maneuver. Even the wife and son can operate it. Would recommend it for light to medium use on the amount of acres you said you have.

/ New JD Tractor #4  
You need something bigger than a garden tractor, which is what the "X" series are and I'd go bigger than the 1000 series that you've upgraded yourself too. I'd look at a 2000 series as a minimum, with a 3000 series being a better bet. Unfortunately this adds up to more money.

You could check for used tractors; but since you're in California, you'll quickly learn that decent used equipment west of Kansas is rare.

/ New JD Tractor #5  
you've got lots of good options, some times I bet it seems too many...
Depending upon how much lawn you have and how nice it is, and gardens, obstructions, etc,
you will likely get a nicer looking lawn with the smaller X series garden tractor. But to do much else,
you will want something with some weight, and weight is often not what you want when tiptoeing around your wife's tulips.

Jenkinsph advice is right where I'm at, you might need two different machines or wind up with one that doesn't satisfy you
doing much of anything. Field mowing works fine for a smaller diesel tractor, just be careful of where you set your priorities.
If you are handy, go online and at least see what the used market looks like. You might pick up a low hour SCUT and zero turn mower for
well within your budget. New is nice though. I've had used and new and they both are satisfying in their own way.

Good luck and let us know please what you decided on, and your first driving impressions.

/ New JD Tractor #6  
I'll second the opinions on the 1000 series- too small for what you want to do. If the pricing on a new 2000/3000 series is an issue, look for a clean used one. don't know about the California market but I'm sure its no different than any part of the country-people bought new with "easy financing" and now can't make the payments. Be patient and you will find clean used one with under 1000 hours. the 1000's IMO are overgrown garden tractors.

Actually used ones are a good deal as many people can't come up with cash for a used one but if their temp is 98.6 Deere will finance a new one.

/ New JD Tractor #7  
The 3032E with fel is about $20,000 msrp, probably buy it for $17,000 + tax. That is alot more tractor than the 1025R, still need to add for the other attachments but I can tell you from experience that the 3032E or any similar sized tractor will handle the boxblade alot better than the 1025R will.

/ New JD Tractor #8  
Have a year old 3038e with a 60" cutter and it works well. Also use a box blade on the driveway. If the drive has any hills at all you will find a larger unit like a 3032 or 3038 will do it in one pull where a smaller tractor will make many pulls. I paid under $18K for my CUT with FEL plus 0% financing. I get my attachments used because you can see the condition/quality of such easily and it's hard to get ripped off. I paid a total of less than $1K for BB, rotary cutter, rear blade, trailer, landscape rake and hauler altogether. They're a bit rusty & dented but work well.