4310 question

/ 4310 question #11  
It seems to me I have read more posts here and on other boards about cast iron axle assemblies breaking than aluminum ones. Of course there is probably more cast iron than alumininum in the field. I don't think you can conclude that cast aluminum is bad based on one reported problem that may or may not have been caused by the fact it is aluminum. Do some extensive searching and just see how many problems turn up. I'd guess you wouldn't find many, the one RAT mentioned is the only one I recall.

/ 4310 question #12  
I looked at the pic of Iamgott's 4300 (see attachment). This is exactly the image I had in my mind when I noticed they used aluminum for this attachment point. If it was cast iron, I think it would have bent the linkage before breaking the attachment point. With that said, I don't know the complete story behind this and I'm sure this instance is rare at best.

In other words, it would not prevent me from purchasing a JD.

I saw a post about the front wheel snapping off of an axle on a NH TC35D. It's the only instance I ever heard of it on this forum. Like this problem, no one knows the entire situation and the instance was rare at best I'm sure.

Attachments

• 303068-DSC00056[1].jpg
    303068-DSC00056[1].jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 159
   / 4310 question #13  
Thats the only one I have ever heard of as well. It just suprised me that cast aluminum was used, but hey, I don't know enough to make any kind of a judgement call and I think JD's reputation precedes itself.

/ 4310 question #14  
Irrespectiove of any brand or use it has not been my experience that machineing cast Iron Vs any other metal is a similar process. I would prefer a combination of the two , for the houseing and bushings but thats a whole different strand. I personally feel that if we disect any brand we will have some small item to compare or debate. It really seems like a fairly moot point unless there are a significant number of documented failures.

/ 4310 question #15  
"It really seems like a fairly moot point unless there are a significant number of documented failures. "

I think that is what were trying to say. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 4310 question #16  
So it goes with out saying /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif