I took the plunge - JD2210 coming my way soon

/ I took the plunge - JD2210 coming my way soon #1  

wickman

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD2210
I surprised myself Friday and actually said "OK, let's do this." I could have second guessed myself forever. Should I go bigger? Another make? This really is alot of money? I put an end to the questions in my mind on Friday... at least I won't second-guess myself for a few weeks.

Well, I ended up with a 2210 with MMM and FEL. I should get it next weekend. I'm excited. This should be fun.

But, I have a question. I have yet to get any ballast for the rear for any FEL work. I'm leaning towards an attachment like a box blade so I can use it as ballast and also as a usable implement. What BB should I be looking at? How big? Price range?

Also, any JD 2210 owners out there - what should I have done now while the dealer still has it so I don't kick myself later?

Thanks for all the great info.... this site ROCKS!

wickman

/ I took the plunge - JD2210 coming my way soon #2  
Cool..

Welcome to the Club!

You can always second guess yourself on your decisions (sometimes I still do, but I'm quite pleased with what I have)

A BB would be a good choice for ballast. I have a 60" BB, but I think a 48" would be better. Sometimes I run out of traction with the 60", but after I pay the 2210 off, I'll get a bigger tractor to fit the BB /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
My BB is a Midwest. It was $350 from my dealer.

/ I took the plunge - JD2210 coming my way soon #3  
Congratulations. I saw these at the dealer and thought they were really slick, and at least compatable to the Orange one, and better in some areas. At least you have a factory tachometer.

What are you going to be using it for primarily? With your checkbook in my hands, I'd consider the following:

1. An engine block heater if your winters are severe and if you intend to use it in the winter
2. Tread design
3. Filled tires, chains and/or wheel weights
4. RX-4 rotary cutter if you're cutting brush
5. Snow blower
6. Front or rear blade

Man, it sure is easy spending your money. Good luck with your new work horse. Keep us posted when you get it.

/ I took the plunge - JD2210 coming my way soon #4  
Congratulations ! I have enjoyed mine. I would not have anything differently done at the dealer. There are only two tire choices on the 2210 as the fronts are a new size for the 2210. The bars are sort of a cross between a ag and a r-4 and turfs. I have the turfs and I am very glad I got them even in the woods. Both tires are only 4 ply. I have a frontier 48' rear blade. I can not imagine a larger blade on this machine due to its light weight it losses traction easily if the blade digs in. This is a real problem if you have any soft spots in the material you are gradeing. The one thing I really dont like is that there is no rockshaft adjustment so the blade will keep droping down and digging in unlike the 4010 series. Based on that I would say your idea for ballast is one I often use but I would recomend a box grader and not a rear blade unless you intend to only use it to push snow on concretete or grade harder road materials like 23a. I am able to use it on some of my woods trails. The key is to go fast so the blade does not pick up too much material. This will cause a loss of traction. I did get the iMatch and love it. The FEL will pick up enough material to put you on three wheels in a hurry. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I took the plunge - JD2210 coming my way soon #5  
Congrats!

As the others have mentioned, a box blade might be the best ballast for you. Stick with the 48".

I have the 49" bucket but some have chosen to step up to the next width. 53", I think. The additional cost should not be significant. I added the bucket level indicator which I personally think is handy.

If you intend to have bucket hooks put on the loader bucket, you might as well have the dealer take care of this right now. There have been several discussion about voiding warranties with modifications. The bucket hooks might void your warranty on the bucket itself, but I think it would be nearly impossible to get a manufacturer to replace a bucket under warranty anyway. Talk to your dealer about this one. See attached picture for location of mine. I will also upload a picture of the reinforcement added by my dealer.

Make absolutely sure your dealer adjusts the mower deck height adjustment mechanism correctly. Mine still needs some adjustment and I have read many posts about dealers not setting this up correctly. It's not a show-stopper, but should be set up correctly before you take delivery.

I added the rear work light kit which was less than $40 if I recall. As someone else mentioned, the block heater is nice depending on your location between the North Pole and the Equator. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck!

Attachments

• 302796-236056-med210loader_frnt02.jpg
    302796-236056-med210loader_frnt02.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 289
   / I took the plunge - JD2210 coming my way soon #6  
Hook reinforcement.

Attachments

• 302797-236058-med210loader_frnt03.jpg
    302797-236058-med210loader_frnt03.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 314
   / I took the plunge - JD2210 coming my way soon #7  
Hook reinforcement close-up

Attachments

• 302798-236061-medhookreinf_01.jpg
    302798-236061-medhookreinf_01.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 283
   / I took the plunge - JD2210 coming my way soon #8  
I do have the 53" bucket and level indicator which I find more usefull on theese smaller machines.

/ I took the plunge - JD2210 coming my way soon #9  
Congratulations! I have had my 2210 since mid-Feb and am very happy with my baby CUT.

If you are in a cold climate, definitely have the dealer install the coolant heater - I am in the process of installing one myself.

I have heard good things about both the turf and bar tires, bars are not real agressive, should not tear up your lawn unless it is really wet - I have turfs, wish I had gotten bars.

For ballast I have 2-50 pound wheel weights on each rear wheel - same size weights used on the 345 garden tractor - the extra 200 pounds makes a big difference in traction.

Instead of a ballast box, yes the 48" boxblade is a smart choice. I have a home-built 2" receiver hitch that mounts to the 3-point hitch that also will hold 6 of the 42lb quik-tach weights - with that 240 lbs and the 200 lbs in wheel weights, the back end is usually pretty secure when using the FEL, although I need about 150 more for max lift specs.

My 62MMM has been trouble free but there has been enough discussion here for me to agree, make sure it works properly, is leveled, etc. before you sign the paperwork at delivery. Many had a poor cut because of poor setup.

Hope it arrives soon, I use mine every chance I get!

/ I took the plunge - JD2210 coming my way soon #10  
Congrats on the new tractor!
I use both mentioned items for rear ballast. I bought the 48 Frontier BB, and the ballast box came with the FEL package. I really like using the ballast box better. It stays closer to the tractor, not as wide. You don't have to be as careful in tight spots. Plus on a hill, sometimes the box blade will dig in when changing elevation. Just some things for you to think about.