Buying parts online @ JDParts - anyone?

/ Buying parts online @ JDParts - anyone?
I use it quite a bit. I think it saves me time, and is easier for the dealer parts guy also. I'm I understanding you correctly that your dealer has a 22 year old kid that knows nothing about tractors for a parts guy? I guess I've never seen anything like that at a JD dealer.

A little tongue in cheek... he's a pretty young guy but he's working hard and shows promise. :) I posed this question - not as a "trick question" - wherein there's a right answer or a wrong answer but to understand...

Why would a dealer want to participate in the arrangement - transaction? What's in it for them?

While I have never purchased parts online - I have used the Internet prices to double check the dealer's prices. Of course... they're always higher and more often than not - they charge a shipping/stocking fee on top of that.

So, I'm considering using JDPart's and basically cutting out the dealer. They don't know that yet...

AKfish

/ Buying parts online @ JDParts - anyone? #12  
A little tongue in cheek... he's a pretty young guy but he's working hard and shows promise. :) I posed this question - not as a "trick question" - wherein there's a right answer or a wrong answer but to understand...

Why would a dealer want to participate in the arrangement - transaction? What's in it for them?

While I have never purchased parts online - I have used the Internet prices to double check the dealer's prices. Of course... they're always higher and more often than not - they charge a shipping/stocking fee on top of that.

So, I'm considering using JDPart's and basically cutting out the dealer. They don't know that yet...

AKfish

The way it looks to me, is that the dealer is getting full credit and commission for the sale. I'll ask them next time I go in there.
There was a few "kinks" to work out at first. The parts were showing up in the system as "ordered" , but they weren't...they just sort of hung there in limbo.
The dealer did get it worked out after it happened a couple of times.
I find it convienient because I don't have to wait at the dealership to go through the diagrams with the parts guy at the counter. It seems like when I stop in there first thing in the morning, or late afternoon, the place is a "zoo". Also, it's easier than looking up the numbers, then emailing the dealer.

AKfish, what's the general quality of the dealers up there? I remember you were shopping around in the lower 48 for your tractor, and if you want to cut them out of the parts thing, they must be terrible. I guess we are lucky in the midwest farm belt. At least you have better hunting and fishing.

/ Buying parts online @ JDParts - anyone? #13  
I ordered a bunch of bearings for my mower deck through JDParts. My local dealer is a bunch of disorganized pig pens, so picking up the parts turned into a 45 minute test of patience! Now, I use JDParts to get the part number for what I'm looking for, then do a google search for the number. Most of the time I find a much better price online. Like half price!

Jim

/ Buying parts online @ JDParts - anyone? #14  

AKfish

Make sure you report back on how you do that, I always like cutting out the middle-man.

/ Buying parts online @ JDParts - anyone? #15  
Thanks. Do you think that it saves you money, time; aggravation with a 22yr old kid that don't know tractor from tennis shoes... ;)

AKfish

As far as I'm concerned it saves me time and aggravation as I can shop for what I need at my convenience, and place the order. I don't have to try and describe the hooseywhatsit that I need to the parts guy/gal on the phone, and hope he/she interpreted my description correctly. The dealer calls when the parts are in, and I go get them and pay for it, and that's it. I love email; but I find most dealers here rarely use it, so shopping on JD Parts and then emailing the dealer directly with my order is futile. As for saving money on the parts themselves, it's doubtful.

I use it as well. You don't really "buy parts online" from JDP, but rather order it into the dealer you have registered. I always take a copy of the prices with me when I pickup because sometimes they try to charge me more than the online price shows.

I do the same thing.

AKfish

I doubt you'll be able to cut out the dealer by using JD Parts; but maybe they have an exception for Alaskans due to your remoteness, though I doubt it. Unfortunately Alaskans and Canadians have another thing in common besides long winters; they get screwed price wise on a lot of things because of their location.

AKfish, what's the general quality of the dealers up there? I remember you were shopping around in the lower 48 for your tractor, and if you want to cut them out of the parts thing, they must be terrible. I guess we are lucky in the midwest farm belt. At least you have better hunting and fishing.

There's only one dealer up here. It's a family owned business with 4 stores around the state. So, they've got the "corner" on the market. In all honesty, the local dealer has got a very good staff. Very professional and capable, experienced shop crew; senior part's guy is on top of his game (junior is working on his...) and the sales guy and manager are knowledgeable --- about heavy equipment --- not so much with farm equipment or lawn equipment.

The biggest complaint that I've had with them is they're not competitive and could care less if you buy from them or not. And of course, you have to always watch your backside with any manner of transactions; be it warranty repairs or even parts.

They'll hook you if your not watching!

The end result is that you don't even have a small amount of "trust"... and, that's not a real pleasant situation a lot of the time.

AKfish

I doubt you'll be able to cut out the dealer by using JD Parts; but maybe they have an exception for Alaskans due to your remoteness, though I doubt it. Unfortunately Alaskans and Canadians have another thing in common besides long winters; they get screwed price wise on a lot of things because of their location.

Well, it looks like I won't "cut" the dealer out of the sales transaction... but, I can side step 'em a bit and keep them from adding on their 10-15% on everything I order. What got me goin' on this track was I'm considering a pretty major workover on my 110TLB.

The tractor's not down but I've got a small hyd leak from the eHydro pump. Maybe a cup (8oz.) over a 3 month period. Certainly not serious - but, it's annoying and I never like to wait until a piece of equipment has a catastrophic failure before I take care of the problem. So, I'm thinking of replacing a $58 dollar seal kit in the transmission that requires the tractor to be split. If I'm gonna go through all the trouble of splitting the tractor I'm gonna replace the steering pump and the steering motor at the same time. The steering motor has made a chirping noise since the tractor was brand new and it still works just fine - but it sounds like it could crap out any day!

Long story - short; all the parts, gaskets, gasket sealer, pumps, etc comes to just over $2,600 - dealer cost. My cost if I order thru JDParts is somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,300. Shipping will add to the total if I order online and will likely be higher thru the dealer. So, I could save over $300 going online.

I just wanted to hear from other's about the pros and cons before I take one more step that will create another "wrinkle" in my already tenuous relationship with the local JD dealer.

AKfish

/ Buying parts online @ JDParts - anyone? #18  

AKfish

Using JDparts does NOT cut out the dealer. When you sign up you have to specify a dealer. This (signing up for a dealer) then gives his prices and shows if he has the part in stock. What you are doing is so of the "leg work" the part guy normally does. This could save errors, but if there are any errors (as in wrong part number ordered) they are yours.

/ Buying parts online @ JDParts - anyone? #19  
PM sent

/ Buying parts online @ JDParts - anyone? #20  
I've had a bit different experience. The price for a new seat through JD online was actually more than what the dealer charged me for the one he had in stock last year. And yes, I was registered for the same dealer.