Buying a (hopefully) new 4320

/ Buying a (hopefully) new 4320 #1  

mwoliver

Tractor
John Deere 4320
Hey folks,

I am new here and this is my first thread aside from the introduction. I have searched pretty extensively and haven't really found an answer to my question so perhaps it's not a very bright question, but I'll ask anyway.

This is my first tractor purchase and I'm a little paranoid about the deal. I am often hung up on little details about things and I guess I'm looking for a sanity check as well. The dealer initially told me that he could obtain my tractor via a dealer transfer and I was like "eh, really?" and then later in the conversation he said that he would order it from Augusta, which made me very happy. That was on a Friday and then on Tuesday he replied to an email saying that he had the tractor on site. He's about 3 hours drive from Augusta so I reckon it's possible that he got it from the factory (which is what I wanted), but he also said that he was waiting on the loader, which really set my mind spinning trying to figure out why a new-from-the-factory 4320 wouldn't have come with the loader attached.

So, am I just being overly paranoid about this deal? How many hours would I expect to see on a tractor new from the factory versus one that might have been sitting on another dealer's lot for months with who knows how many test drivers? What if that other dealer had obtained it via dealer transfer themselves? Is it even a big deal to care about dealer transfer tractors versus new from the factory?

Again, I have found after the fact that I sometimes get hung up on mundane details that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things and I guess now I'm just looking for advice from you fine folks. I'm paying brand new price for an expensive (to me) machine and thus my very strong desire to have a truly new machine from the factory rather than a months-old lot demo unit. Would it matter to you? Does it really matter? If so, and I'm not crazy, is there a way for me to verify with the factory?

Thanks folks, I appreciate your time!

/ Buying a (hopefully) new 4320 #2  
All loaders as well as most of the options available are put on at the dealer. Loader is shipped separate from the tractor, that is normal.
Hours, I would expect 10 or less. My new 4120 shipped from the factory had less than 2 on it when it was delivered.
Mine had a tag zip tied to the ROPS, basically the "window sticker" that will say when it was built and where it shipped.
Transfer dealer, really doesn't matter if it sat at a dealership or sat out in the yard in Augusta, GA. Most JD dealerships have multiple locations so I wouldn't sweat it. Besides, it's your dime, ask them where they got it or ask for the shipping papers. As far as fresh from the factory floor that is not likely going to happen, that will just be a luck of the draw timing on your end. It could very likely have sat on ground in Augusta for some time. Just be happy you get one that quick, I had to wait awhile to get one.

Good luck, great tractor. I love mine.

/ Buying a (hopefully) new 4320 #3  
I completely agree with dusty. I wouldn't be concerned at all about a dealer transfer. Heck I have bought 2 expensive diesel trucks on dealer transfers, so same concept, its just the original paperwork shows the original dealer not the selling dealer. When I bought my 3520, it was without a loader as well, as that came separate. I chose to not pick up the tractor until it was installed, so I think it was about a week or so if memory serves. Also, one more point, you can sometimes squeeze a bit more from the deal when the tractor is on the lot, as opposed to ordering one new. I saved almost $3k off my deal because the dealer was at the end of their window from Deere to have the tractor sold (meaning they would have to start paying for it), so they had some incentive to move it. Best of luck!

/ Buying a (hopefully) new 4320 #4  
The best teacher's that I ever had... to a person; believed that no question is ever stupid! Most of us have the same questions... we're just waiting around for somebody else to work up the gumption to ask! :laughing:

That said; you're concerns about "factory fresh" versus on the lot "demo old" are a bit unrealistic.. Tractors are machines, built from parts, assembled in different locations and shipped to assembly plants and finally to dealerships.

Dealers install, configure and calibrate for safe operation many of the attachments and implements that the buyer orders with their tractor. Loaders have to be adjusted, hydraulic cylinders have to be correctly sized to the specific operation, mowers have to be configured to attach properly to the tractor and mow properly.

Of course, even dealerships screw up! Loaders come unhinged and mowers that scalp. But, in the majority of instances - they get it right - so you can use your tractor safely and correctly!

So, a few hours of use at the dealership ensuring that everything is as it should be when you pick it up; is time well spent! :thumbsup:

Just like that fired cartridge in the envelope of a new firearm that lets you know your new gun has been tested... you'll have some confidence that your new tractor will work for you the way you want it to!

AKfish

/ Buying a (hopefully) new 4320
Thanks guys, I'm feeling much more at ease now... except for the growing excitement in anticipation of delivery!

:hyper:

/ Buying a (hopefully) new 4320 #6  
Thanks guys, I'm feeling much more at ease now... except for the growing excitement in anticipation of delivery!

:hyper:

Cool - it is a fine machine. The short wheelbase makes it very nimble. You run out of traction before you run out of power. Loader and 3pt lift are very capable. You can see well from the seat. Ehydro is freaking awesome.
I could go on and on, but long story short I can work all day long on mine and not feel like I've been "wrassling" the tractor if that makes any sense? Very, very comfortable to operate.

/ Buying a (hopefully) new 4320 #7  
So how is your new tractor going to be configured? I have the same opinion as dusty3030. It's a great machine. I have a 4720, but yours is close enough. The eHydro is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've search the net long, hard, far, and wide for problems with the Ehydro. I can count the problems that I turned up on one hand. That's pretty good for 13 years (or so) of production.
And just so you know, so as not to "freak out", most options these days are dealer installed. So if you ordered extra SCV's and things of that nature... the dealer will install them.

/ Buying a (hopefully) new 4320
The full build-out is the 4320 with eHydro, R4 tires, 400CX loader with HD bucket, dual mid and rear SCV, power beyond, air-ride seat with armrests, and canopy. With that, I am also acquiring a MX6 rotary cutter. I've been straddling the fence on a ballast box (to balance the loader) and a iMatch, but haven't decided yet.

/ Buying a (hopefully) new 4320 #9  
The full build-out is the 4320 with eHydro, R4 tires, 400CX loader with HD bucket, dual mid and rear SCV, power beyond, air-ride seat with armrests, and canopy. With that, I am also acquiring a MX6 rotary cutter. I've been straddling the fence on a ballast box (to balance the loader) and a iMatch, but haven't decided yet.

You absolutely need a ballast box. You need about 1000 pounds of rear ballast for maxing out that loader...no question about it. I have 440 pounds of wheel weight, and 1000 pounds of steel in my ballast box. That's what it takes to feel safe lifting round bales and full buckets of dirt. Traction will be better also, and R4's need all the help they can get. If you don't have allot of rear ballast, it puts undue stress on your front axle also. Even if you are doing light loader work, your going to want 5,6, or 7 hundred pounds back there. It would be a real "pooch" with no ballast.
Sounds like you are set up kind of like mine, Open station, air seat, MX-6....
What do you plan on doing with it?
Here's some pictures...I don't want to derail your thread, but just to give you an idea what yours will be like and can do.
Oh, and you would love iMatch. Not fun wrestling with an MX-6 to hook up without iMatch.

Attachments

• 4720_5.JPG
    4720_5.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 201
  • MX6.jpg
    MX6.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 252
  • JD5.jpg
    JD5.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 301
  • JD2.JPG
    JD2.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 304
  • JD1.JPG
    JD1.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 286
  • Grapple2.jpg
    Grapple2.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Grapple3.jpg
    Grapple3.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 236
   / Buying a (hopefully) new 4320 #10  

I would recommend six rear wheel weights and the diverter kit for extra rear hydraulics. Might also wan't to consider a heavy boxblade in lieu of the weight box.