John Deere M vs. E series

/ John Deere M vs. E series #1  

Birn

Tractor
John Deere
Am in the process of purchasing a John Deere 100hp 4WD tractor and am torn between the utilitarian 5101E and the 5100M with its bells and whistles and much higher price. Anyone out there have any guidance to offer.

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / John Deere M vs. E series #2  
I think you meant the 5101E. I recently found myself faced with a similar dilemma, and I ended up with the M series. The E series are great machines, I love them, and still recommend them to lots of people. For the me the heavier duty M series was a better fit for several reasons. I found myself essentially chasing the features of the M; many of them can be added to the E. What you cannot add is the heavier weight, the better hydraulics, the better transmission, and the superior cab. It really comes down to your comfort, your pocketbook, and the planned use of the machine. You cannot go wrong with either one, but if you are going to spend a lot of time in the cab you'll never regret the comfort of the cab. To be totally honest the E will do just about everything the M will do for a lot less money. You can't go wrong either way. What are your intended uses? That might help everyone point you in the right direction.

/ John Deere M vs. E series #3  
x2

I have an E and drool over the M's all the time. For my first personally owned tractor, my pocketbook was the limiting factor. I would be most concerned about making sure you get enough horsepower for the tasks you plan on doing. Alot of times a good deal comes up on some implement and your tractor is "almost" big enough. lol ASk me how i know! I stopped at the dealership the other day and Found myself looking at a 6130D and it happened to be sitting next to my 5083E and MAN what a size jump!

/ John Deere M vs. E series #4  
Welcome to TBN:welcome: good luck with the search

/ John Deere M vs. E series
Thanks so much, T Dew and RedNeckRacin. Yes, you're correct T Dew it's E vs. M. I made the mistake of buying a 5085M 2WD a couple of years ago. The tractor is fine, but it's slightly underpowered (and underweight) for the 15-foot HX7 cutter I have and it's often helpless in the gumbo mud I have to navigate much of the year. I'm more of a weekend conservationist, planting trees, clearing out invasive species and converting land used for row cropping into pasture. In other words, not a heavy-duty farmer. I'll probably put 150 hours on it a year. I want this to be my last tractor though. For a $12K difference you wouldn't think a jump seat would be a big thing, but if you have grandkids you know what I mean. I think the 15hp increase in power will be adequate (don't you?). Love the fuel economy of the 5085M. Again, I really appreciate your replies.

/ John Deere M vs. E series #6  
Thanks so much, T Dew and RedNeckRacin. Yes, you're correct T Dew it's E vs. M. I made the mistake of buying a 5085M 2WD a couple of years ago. The tractor is fine, but it's slightly underpowered (and underweight) for the 15-foot HX7 cutter I have and it's often helpless in the gumbo mud I have to navigate much of the year. I'm more of a weekend conservationist, planting trees, clearing out invasive species and converting land used for row cropping into pasture. In other words, not a heavy-duty farmer. I'll probably put 150 hours on it a year. I want this to be my last tractor though. For a $12K difference you wouldn't think a jump seat would be a big thing, but if you have grandkids you know what I mean. I think the 15hp increase in power will be adequate (don't you?). Love the fuel economy of the 5085M. Again, I really appreciate your replies.

FWIW, You can put a buddy seat in the 5083e, refer to the threads by gocards1177.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...cing/278033-new-5083e-553-mx10-delivered.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/275718-m7040-5083e.html

/ John Deere M vs. E series
My son and I were just out at the dealers kicking the tires on a Sunday afternoon when no one was there. It's hard to not notice and appreciate the lower center of gravity of the M, the guard over the exhaust pipe and maybe the more luxurious cab. But I also like the stripped-down simplicity of the E. It seems perfectly adequate. A Toyota vs. a Lexus.

/ John Deere M vs. E series #8  
Welcome to TractorByNet. :tractor:

/ John Deere M vs. E series #9  
I agree with everything you said, and that's why I said you cannot go wrong either way. I know I am going to be spending a fair amount of time in my mine and using it for some fairly hard work over the next several years. That contributed to the desire to go with the M over the E. As someone said earlier you can add the buddy seat to the cab of the E series (and I agree it is a necessity for the kids and grand kids). Some dealers might argue with you, but there are plenty of threads on here that show it is possible and frequently done. You should go to the dealer and drive them both and see what you think. On the other hand, if you never get in the cab of the M series you won't know what you're missing. Depending on what you're coming from the E series cab might seem really luxurious. I know I was sold on the E until I made the mistake of spending little time in the M.

/ John Deere M vs. E series #10  
I just couldn't bring myself to buy an indian made tractor. I have no experience with the E series but I have with the 5003 series. They are stiff in my opinion.