looking to buy a 2210

/ looking to buy a 2210 #1  

jdcook00

Tractor
1983 JD 212, JD 2210
I am looking at buying a 2210 and would like to hear opinions on this unit. I'm going to use it for mowing and some small bush hog work. Might use small box blade as well. Are they avail. with r4's? Is the mmm locked up when using rear implements? Would like to here from y'all with good or bad /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ looking to buy a 2210 #2  
I have 50 hours on my 2210. I like it very well. The mmm will lock in the up position when using rear implements. I have found it is better to remove the mmm when working with implements. The ground clearance is not really high enough. It only takes a minute to remove. The time is well worth taking a chance damaging the mmm.

There has been some problems with the mmm adjustment knob. Be sure it works properly when delivered or pick up. The only other problem I have heard about is a leak in the rockshaft area on the earlier models. I have used the 3ph quite a bit with my bb with no problems. There was an update, so it must have been implemented already.

Good luck. Ask any questions you can think of, we don't mind answering.

/ looking to buy a 2210 #3  
Only turfs and ag-type tires are available from Deere. The mmm can be locked in the full-up position.

The 2210 won't disappoint. I use mine to mow a half acre+ (54" mmm), pull a 48" boxblade (which doubles as a loader counter-weight), and lift/move rocks, dirt, gravel, small trees with the 210 loader. The 3-cyl diesel makes good power and sips fuel.

The turf tires give good traction all around and are easy on the grass. The 2210's control placement is good, and all are easy to reach (I'm 6'1") and operate. The loader valve may feel loose, but it is precise in control with good feedback.

A couple transmission leaks occurred at under 10 hours. The first at the rockshaft control valve and the second at the top link of the 3 point. Not cool but the solid dealer service and free pick-up/delivery made-up for the tractor downtime.

Overall the tractor has exceeded my expectations. I'm pleasantly surprised it does the jobs I initially thought only a larger tractor would do.

/ looking to buy a 2210
Thanks hambone and pde for your input. Talked to the dealer today and ironed out some details. They didn't know if the deck would lock up or not without a kit like on the 4110. He also said that it came with turf tires but if I wanted r4's they would put a set on for me at little or no cost. I live between 2 dealers that are approx. 20 miles apart so i'm playing the pricing game. If I get one I'll have to order so I'll get a "fresh" one with any updates they've made if any. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ looking to buy a 2210 #5  
I've had a 2210 for about 6 months now. It's a great step up from a garden tractor. 62MMM cuts great and easy to mount/remove. Engine power, hydraulics and hydro all work well. I did have an oil leak, had to battle with dealer over pickup/delivery charge to fix (others have had this problem).
I also have the 210 loader plus I picked up an older 4FT JD rotary mower and a 5ft backblade.

I have turf tires...wish I had gotten bars. Also if you live in a cold climate have the block heater installed before delivery.

No folding ROPS from JD, but femco is coming out with one.

Yes....I love my 2210.

/ looking to buy a 2210 #6  
I have had a 2210 for several months now. At 10 hours the PTO shat split in two. JD shipped one from Japan Fed Ex so I was back up in three weeks due to customs delays. I do not like the pseudo bar tires that JD is offering on the 2210. There are only two choices, those or the turfs. I have had no traction related problems with the turfs. Normally on a bar tire you would get a tire with more plys. sadly both sets are only 4 ply. My first advice to anyone looking at a 2210 is to consider the 4010 for about $800 more. What you will get is a folding rops, heavier weight, more tire choices and a adjustable rock shaft. It may be of interest to you that both the 2210 and the 4010 are 2 piece garden tractor frames while the 4110 is the smallest 1 piece traditional tractor style frame. The 4000 series also offers improved FEL specs.

/ looking to buy a 2210
What kind of oil leaks are common on the 2210? Also doesn't get to cold in eastern NC, although it did snow once last winter. I'm originally from Buffalo, NY so I am familiar with cold weather, snow and hard starting diesels. Don't think I'll need a block heater. If it gets that cold out I won't want to go out and play. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif By the way, how tall is it to the top of the rops? My barn door is 7' tall. Will it fit?

/ looking to buy a 2210 #8  
Top of the ROPS reaches to about 77" so no problem with clearing under a 7' door frame.

There is a trick to pre-heat the glow plugs for easier cold starts. The glow plugs are on only when the key is in the start position (engine cranking). To pre-heat the plugs: With the key in off position, pull up on the pto switch, turn key to the start position and hold for 10 seconds. Return key to the off position, push pto switch down, then start engine.

The leaks on my 2210 were both on the transmission. The first between the main trans case and the rockshaft control valve. This leaked enough to puddle fluid on the ground. The repair was a re-sealing of the valve to the main case.

The second leak occurred between the main trans case and the top link plate of the 3 point hitch. The plate also acts as a backstop for the 3 point lift cylinder. When the cylinder was in relief at full lift, it flexed the plate enough to break the seal and cause a leak. The newly design plate is reinforced to prevent flexing. The new plate was shipped from Japan unpainted so the dealer painted the plate, installed it with super gorilla snot (what I call sealant) and bingo no leaks.

/ looking to buy a 2210 #9  
My toplink plate also leaked, but my dealer (Nelsons in Greenville) claimed that Deere would only allow them to reseal the cover....they said they could not replace without Deere's approval....maybe they DIDN"T ASK?????

Anyways it's fixed and not leaking. I have seem 3 or 4 other instances of this posted on the web.

/ looking to buy a 2210
Thanks for all the info. Called the dealer today and placed my order. Thought about the 4010, but decided to go with the 2210. Hope to have it by the end of Sept. Since my grass grows year round, should have plenty of time to try it out before colder weather hits. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif