Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Platinum Member corey9212's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    726
    Location
    Innisfail, AB
    Tractor
    2013 John Deere 6125R

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    That is helpful information, thank you. I bale between 250 to 300 acres. I have an International 1086 that I like to mow with. It is 130 pto and handles my 10ft moco just fine. However, if it is down, I would like to be able to use this as a back up. But for the most part, I anticiapte the 5 or 6 series would be used to run the baler (4x5) and collect hay with my hydraulic arm bale trailer that will haul 10 bales. So I certainly appriciate that a bigger heavier tractor would handle the bigger load, but it is the loss of hp in the lower range 6m series that concernes me. With only 87 pto and my mower has a min requirement of 75, and I know from experience that the 130ptohp on my 1086 is the power range I need, I'm just concerned I will not be happy with the 6105m. To get enough hp to equal the 5115m I have to move up two models, and the price is just to high.
    The 5115M is a good tractor with lots of hp both in engine and in PTO for its size. I plan on using mine for baling (nowhere near that many acres) but I wouldn't hesitate to use it for that many. It's a comfy tractor that I could spend all day in working rough fields and pastures.
    - 2013 John Deere 6125R
    - H340 Front End Loader w/85" bucket and grapple
    - 7' Frontier RC2084 Rotary Cutter, 7' Frontier GM2084R Finishing Mower, 6' KingKutter Land Grader, 8' Frontier FG12G Front blade with hydraulic tilt, 5' Westwood Powered Sweeper, 5' Disk, 5' Drag Harrow, 55 Gallon Spraytech 3PH Sprayer, 90 Gallon Water Carrier, 3 point bale spear, 3 point pallet forks, 7' GM2084R grooming mower, 10' 3-PT harrow, 12' 1470 discbine, RR2109 rotary rake, 568 Megawide plus round baler.

  2. #12
    Elite Member AKfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,993
    Location
    Kasilof, Alaska
    Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

    Default Re: 5m series vs 6m series

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    That is helpful information, thank you. I bale between 250 to 300 acres. I have an International 1086 that I like to mow with. It is 130 pto and handles my 10ft moco just fine. However, if it is down, I would like to be able to use this as a back up. But for the most part, I anticiapte the 5 or 6 series would be used to run the baler (4x5) and collect hay with my hydraulic arm bale trailer that will haul 10 bales. So I certainly appriciate that a bigger heavier tractor would handle the bigger load, but it is the loss of hp in the lower range 6m series that concernes me. With only 87 pto and my mower has a min requirement of 75, and I know from experience that the 130ptohp on my 1086 is the power range I need, I'm just concerned I will not be happy with the 6105m. To get enough hp to equal the 5115m I have to move up two models, and the price is just to high.
    My buddy uses his JD 3010 and JD 2640 with his hi-moisture 4x5 baler. They're both around 70hp @ pto. He puts up around 300 haylage bales (1,500-1,700lbs) and around 100 dry hay rounds (few hundred small squares, too) and those tractors hardly break a sweat! He's got a 10' JD MoCo (disc) that he cuts with too. (Can't remember the model number..) But, those tractor's swing that mower just fine.

    The new, 5M's are heavier and longer - model changes with 2012 tractors.

    If you're planning to use the tractor as a primary "backup" machine for the MoCo and generally run the baler and bale trailer - I think the 5115M would handle that work without a problem. In a pinch, for a season or part of a season - it should swing that MoCo without a problem as well.

    AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

  3. #13
    Platinum Member Edward. S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    822
    Location
    Somewhere
    Tractor
    John Deere

    Default Re: 5m series vs 6m series

    Quote Originally Posted by AKfish View Post
    My buddy uses his JD 3010 and JD 2640 with his hi-moisture 4x5 baler. They're both around 70hp @ pto. He puts up around 300 haylage bales (1,500-1,700lbs) and around 100 dry hay rounds (few hundred small squares, too) and those tractors hardly break a sweat! He's got a 10' JD MoCo (disc) that he cuts with too. (Can't remember the model number..) But, those tractor's swing that mower just fine.

    The new, 5M's are heavier and longer - model changes with 2012 tractors.

    If you're planning to use the tractor as a primary "backup" machine for the MoCo and generally run the baler and bale trailer - I think the 5115M would handle that work without a problem. In a pinch, for a season or part of a season - it should swing that MoCo without a problem as well.

    AKfish
    But the problem is with the 5M's that is with the 18.4R30 standard tires they seem to bottom out and scrape the surface of the soil if its loose. If you need clearance, its better on a 6 series.

  4. #14
    Platinum Member corey9212's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    726
    Location
    Innisfail, AB
    Tractor
    2013 John Deere 6125R

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward. S View Post

    But the problem is with the 5M's that is with the 18.4R30 standard tires they seem to bottom out and scrape the surface of the soil if its loose. If you need clearance, its better on a 6 series.
    That's just the standard tires, you can get some 420/85R34 for them, that will add some height and according to my dealer there is one more size bigger that you can add as well.
    - 2013 John Deere 6125R
    - H340 Front End Loader w/85" bucket and grapple
    - 7' Frontier RC2084 Rotary Cutter, 7' Frontier GM2084R Finishing Mower, 6' KingKutter Land Grader, 8' Frontier FG12G Front blade with hydraulic tilt, 5' Westwood Powered Sweeper, 5' Disk, 5' Drag Harrow, 55 Gallon Spraytech 3PH Sprayer, 90 Gallon Water Carrier, 3 point bale spear, 3 point pallet forks, 7' GM2084R grooming mower, 10' 3-PT harrow, 12' 1470 discbine, RR2109 rotary rake, 568 Megawide plus round baler.

  5. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,392
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: 5m series vs 6m series

    The 5's and 6's are both great tractor platforms, some jobs require a larger platform and some a smaller platform will work. If you need a backup for a 130 hp tractor I would look at the 6 series tractors. I know when I was running 18.4 38 tires there was plenty of ground clearance. While I like the 5115M and know it would be a great addition for my work I think you should be looking for a 6 series with at least 115 pto hp or more. I say this because while tractors are expensive you wouldn't wan't to be in the position of having to buy another large tractor while paying for this one. So I say cover yourself and get another full size tractor.

  6. #16
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    83
    Location
    Western NC
    Tractor
    green

    Default Re: 5m series vs 6m series

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    That is helpful information, thank you. I bale between 250 to 300 acres. I have an International 1086 that I like to mow with. It is 130 pto and handles my 10ft moco just fine. However, if it is down, I would like to be able to use this as a back up. But for the most part, I anticiapte the 5 or 6 series would be used to run the baler (4x5) and collect hay with my hydraulic arm bale trailer that will haul 10 bales. So I certainly appriciate that a bigger heavier tractor would handle the bigger load, but it is the loss of hp in the lower range 6m series that concernes me. With only 87 pto and my mower has a min requirement of 75, and I know from experience that the 130ptohp on my 1086 is the power range I need, I'm just concerned I will not be happy with the 6105m. To get enough hp to equal the 5115m I have to move up two models, and the price is just to high.
    Slippy if it is in your price range I'd really consider the 6, but then your 1086 becomes more of a backup. I cut hay today with my 6330, I run a Kuhn 10' mower conditioner and it handles it perfectly, running 5-7 mph. I think the features of a modern tractor may make it more appealing to run. I've owned several Mannheims and I like them a lot. I also think you'll be happy hauling 10 bales at a time (no brakes?) with either big tractor.

    The 5, like I said before, will make a fine backup tractor, but not sure what condition your International is in, and how much your 5M will be pressed into service. If you cut that much hay, and you can see your current big tractor costing you time and money, then a new 6 could be a good choice. The clearance is a good point. I had the swather choked down today since I'm baling from the swath for baleage tomorrow, and the extra clearance helps. Like you say, you can put bigger tires on your 5 too.

    Any way you can test out a 6 on your mower? My mower calls for 80 hp PTO and the 80 on my 6330 handles it just fine. Runs a 5 x 4 baler just fine. Heres a video from cutting hay today

    *JD 5085M *JD 6110 w 640 loader *JD 6330 *AC F2 Gleaner *Ford 7.3 Powerstroke x 4

  7. #17
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1,027
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5525

    Default Re: 5m series vs 6m series

    Thats a thought. I will take a look. Thanks.
    Slippy

  8. #18
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1,027
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5525

    Default Re: 5m series vs 6m series

    To get 115 pto in the 6 series I would have to jump up two models. Thats a lot of $.
    Slippy

  9. #19
    Member msch2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    43
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Tractor
    JD 5105m

    Default

    My 5105M has treated me fine for haying, grading, loader, and mowing.


    Mike

  10. #20
    Elite Member AKfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,993
    Location
    Kasilof, Alaska
    Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

    Default Re: 5m series vs 6m series

    If your 1086 is gettin' along in hours... maybe the "fill-in" role will really be a "replacement" role for whatever tractor you buy. If that's really the gist of the matter... maybe you should be lookin' at the 6D's.

    I think the 5115M is a real capable platform. But, it might not be a good fit to shoulder the heavy lifting for 300 acres of hay @ 2-3 cutting's a season.

    AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. QA Adapter for 300 series to 500 series
    By justwannafarm in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 02:18 PM
  2. Looking at 3038, 3000 series, or 4000 series - your thoughts?
    By andrewj in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 09:45 AM
  3. Tractor Sizing D series, LA series, x series, or do I move up to a scut or cut?
    By SBorch in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 07:05 PM
  4. Comparison Turning radius: 3000 series vs. 4000 series
    By Honey Dealer in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2012, 06:24 PM
  5. Ford tractor 7710(Series I or Series II)
    By pharmvet in forum New Holland Owning/Operating
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.