5m series vs 6m series

/ 5m series vs 6m series #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
So in another thread I original looked for help comparing the 5E to the 5m series and I have pretty much decided the 5E, although a very nice tractor, is not what I want.

Of course I have made the mistake of now looking at the 6m series and now looking for some guidance in comparing the two. When I climbed into the cockpit of the 6m I was very impressed. Seemed to me to be a completely different tractor. There are some differences between the 5E and the 5M, sure, but from what I could tell, a whole different ball game in moving from the 5m to the 6m, agree?

As I understand it, the transmission is all together different, and from what I can tell, much better in the 6m.
Controls, extras, all much better on the 6m?

Assuming most of you agree the 6m is a much, shall I say robust tractor, I must ask the next question: horsepower to weight ratio?

The 5115m is a 115hp engine with 100hp pto. Weight around 9000lbs. Seems to be good engine and pto hp for the weight of the tractor.
The 6105m is a 105hp engine with 87hp pto. weight around 11,000lbs.

In comparison, thats 10 less engine hp, 13 less pto hp, and 2000lbs more weight.

I realize application can make a huge difference in picking the right tractor, but I am just trying to compare the raw data.
If you need the weight, etc., got that. But what am I missing here.
Seems to me the performance in the field will be decrease inherently. From a raw data perspective, you actually are moving down in performance and might as well get a lower hp 5m series tractor and save a bunch of money when comparing hp output. Now, what does that really mean in terms of putting the wheels to the ground?

If any one has experience with the 5m or 6m series, I am excited to learn of your actual experiences. Is one likely to be disappointed in 6m feeling that it is under hp for the weight? In looking at the 6m series line, you have to jump two models to get a similar engine and pto hp rating as the 5115m, and still have the 2000lb weight difference.

I know this will come up, so please know the primary use will be to pull an 8 foot moco, round bailer, and hay trailer with hydraulic arm pick up carrying 10 4x5 round bails, application ground is rolling hills, steep in places.

Thanks!

/ 5m series vs 6m series #2  
You're just moving into a class of tractor's that have more row-crop, ground engaging capabilities. Longer wheelbase, wider track, more weight. For a mid-size operator; they are a very flexible machine.

Run around the hay field and get down in the dirt when needed!

There are farm operations (hay producers) that use the older, 7000 series platforms as "Utility" tractors! Haul 4 round bales at a time.

AKfish

/ 5m series vs 6m series #3  
The 5M will do everything that you are saying that you want to do and will do it for considerably less money. I am very happy with my 5M and can't imagine needing more weight or power at the present time but everybody's situation is different. That's why they make so many different models. If a 6M floats your boat and you have the funds then get what you like.

Deere has a 6R series that really has the bells and whistles, and up to 210 horses!

/ 5m series vs 6m series #4  
As my dealer puts it for the tractor letter meanings:

E = Economy
M = Mercedes
R = Rolls Royce

Lol.

/ 5m series vs 6m series #5  
As my dealer puts it for the tractor letter meanings:

E = Economy
M = Mercedes
R = Rolls Royce

Lol.

Or....

E = Everyman
M = Middleman
R = Richman

;)

AKfish

/ 5m series vs 6m series #7  
Or....

E = Everyman
M = Middleman
R = Richman

;)

AKfish

I got some of each! :D If you count my older 5000 series as a Everyman.

But if I was in your situation I would pick a 6M. With a 6M there's more weight that's pushing down so you get more traction. It will feel more stable too.

/ 5m series vs 6m series #8  
Kind of depends on how much acreage, or how much money you want to spend. My 5085 M doesn't really do the jobs my 6330 does, and not so much about horsepower. If you need to lay down a bunch of hay fast, or do tillage, then a 6 platform will serve you better.

Practically speaking, with an 8 foot mower and no more than 20 or so acres of hay to cut in a day, a 5 will handle it. And it is a little more nimble, uses less fuel and costs less to purchase.

Just set my bale wrapper up on the 5M. Hoping to make baleage this weekend.

When I replace my 6110, I'm not sure the 5115M will do it. Prolly going to have to get another 6 and they are not cheap.

/ 5m series vs 6m series
That is helpful information, thank you. I bale between 250 to 300 acres. I have an International 1086 that I like to mow with. It is 130 pto and handles my 10ft moco just fine. However, if it is down, I would like to be able to use this as a back up. But for the most part, I anticiapte the 5 or 6 series would be used to run the baler (4x5) and collect hay with my hydraulic arm bale trailer that will haul 10 bales. So I certainly appriciate that a bigger heavier tractor would handle the bigger load, but it is the loss of hp in the lower range 6m series that concernes me. With only 87 pto and my mower has a min requirement of 75, and I know from experience that the 130ptohp on my 1086 is the power range I need, I'm just concerned I will not be happy with the 6105m. To get enough hp to equal the 5115m I have to move up two models, and the price is just to high.

/ 5m series vs 6m series #10  
slippy,

I am not ready for a tractor anytime soon But I think I understand your problem pretty well. JD seems to spec out their platforms based on the market price they are trying to get and not for the normal job requirements that farmers have. A discbine takes a decent sized tractor to physically handle it, but the pto requirement usually puts you up to another platform level and bringing with it a drastic price jump with it. I Don't know that I have found a good answer for your particular question yet, but I am not too familiar with the other brands models. Would a 6D series do what you need it to do for a better price albeit without the bells and whistles? I think they go all the way to a 6140D which gets back to 120-125pto hp.