2008 3720 Cab vs 2011 3320 ???

/ 2008 3720 Cab vs 2011 3320 ??? #1  

errfoil

Tractor
JD 3720
Greetings,

I am new to tractors. We are just finishing up a new house on 18 acres of treed forest in NW Montana. I have been thinking about the need/want for a compact tractor for 6 months or so. I would use the tractor initially for landscaping (FEL, boxblade, maybe even a BH). Long term I would use the tractor for log skidding, chipping & shredding, garden tilling, and snow blowing. After the first couple of years I would probably try to sell the BH, and maybe the boxblade.

I have a John Deere and Kubota dealer locally and they both seem like reputable businesses from what I have heard around town.

The JD dealer recently received a 2008 3720 Cab with 450 hrs on the meter. It was traded in by a municipality that used it exclusively for mowing, mostly a side mower for the edge of roads. It visually looks clean, no unusual wear and tear. It has the air seat and wheel wights. The dealership changed out a leaking front seal and replaced a broken front lower window, otherwise they say it is in good working order. They are asking $29.9k, but offered the tractor for $27.5k. There is no warranty available.

The same dealer is getting a 2011 3320 returned from the local 4H club soon with apx 150 hrs. They would sell that one for $21k. It has apx 1 year of warranty left.

There is, of course, any number of new machines available from the local JD and Kubota dealers (there are currently no deals on used Kubotas in my area)

The big difference here of course is the cab. If it seems like I am a bit confused, or at lease un-focused, then you are right. I didn't start out looking for a cab, but a lot of people seem to think they are must-have items, I have also heard that a cab will be a pain in in the butt when I'm running the BH or jumping in and out of the seat while logging. While I'm not sure if the cab is a good or bad thing in the summers, it would of course be the cats meow while snow blowing in the winter. On the other hand, that cab is pretty expensive. If I go aftermarket cab then I have more used tractors to pick from, but then they are not a whole lot cheaper than the factory cab.

My other big concern is used vs new. I don't have any diesel engine or hydraulics experience, so I would be stuck using the dealer if there are problems.

I would love to hear any opinions or personal experiences from those of you with similar needs.

Thanks,
Brett

/ 2008 3720 Cab vs 2011 3320 ??? #2  
:welcome:

That's a tough call. The 3720 will have more engine power and the cab may have the deluxe cab options but no warranty and 450 hours. The 3320 is the same frame size but with less power and no cab but does have low hours and warranty left. If the cab option and warranty are the decision makers then you might want to consider a new 3320 cab. you can get a new 3320 cab and loader for around $29,000 and Deere is running 0% for 60 months. Either one your looking at will get the job done. Im sure more guys will chime in soon with more advice for you. :thumbsup:

/ 2008 3720 Cab vs 2011 3320 ??? #3  
I wouldn't feel comfortable with a unit used by the municipality and no warranty. Those guys are hard on equipment because they don't pay the bills on it. Why would they trade it in with only 450 hours anyway. That's just my own thinking. I would feel more comfortable with the low hour 3320. unfortunately, that does not have a cab. I was out mowing fields and moving mulch the past 2 days in disgustingly hot and humid weather and I was in a very cold comfortable setting with my cab so I couldn't imagine not having a cab at this point. Although I did do it without a cab for many years. it sucked. Sounds like the cab wasn't that important to you in the first place so I would recommend to you to go with the low hour machine. the 3320 is a stout machine with plenty of power

/ 2008 3720 Cab vs 2011 3320 ??? #4  
When did you buy a FEL

Last edited:
   / 2008 3720 Cab vs 2011 3320 ??? #5  
When did you buy a FEL Short throw?

just got it mounted last week bro haha. started using it Monday.
heres some video from a day ago I took

/ 2008 3720 Cab vs 2011 3320 ??? #6  
and then I took the loader off to mow today. You will get a kick out of this video

/ 2008 3720 Cab vs 2011 3320 ??? #8  
As someone who purchased a new 2008 3320 O/S and 3 years later sold it and bought a used 2007 3320 CAB - I vote for a CAB, whether the one you are looking at or a different one. You maybe want a BH - make sure anything you buy already has Power Beyond installed. You think you might ever want a Mid Mower, front blower or anything that runs off a Mid PTO make sure it is on what you buy or factor it into the price you are prepared to pay. Dealer add-ons are expensive. If you go CAB, check carefully - some of the Deere BH's will not work with factory CAB. I have a Wallenstein BH on mine.

The warranty issue, in my opinion, can get a bit overrated. The O/S tractor had only one item warranty or otherwise - tach needle was sticking on inside of cover and had to be replaced. AFAIK the 2007 CAB had no issues with the previous owner and so far nothing with me. The dealer should be able to share with you the service history on the 3720. 450 hours on a 2008 is nothing - like 120 hours per year average, depending on original in service date.

You mention "skidding logs" The glass / mirrors etc in a CAB may be at greater risk in a forest, but also keep in mind it only takes one limb falling on your head with an O/S to kill or seriously injure. I had one - fortunately, not too large - hit the ROPS before it hit my head, so the thing was more painful than an actual injury - but it could have been much worse.

/ 2008 3720 Cab vs 2011 3320 ??? #9  
Those prices are venturing into "new" territory pretty closely. I'd do a bit more looking around before jumping at either tractor!

However, as CinderSchnauzer mentioned the hours are really a non-issue (450 hrs. = 3-4 oil changes) and while you can have a few "summer-hire" knot heads on a city crew there's not a lot that kids are gonna do while mowing residential or other municipal properties. Nearly all municipalities have service contracts with the dealership's that they purchase or lease their equipment from; so, they're on a maintenance schedule as well.

While 18 acres is enough work (especially with trees) to keep you busy for a few years; you'll be spending as many hours in the tractor seat outside of the woods as in the middle of them. Especially after the first 2-3 years. Get a cab tractor -- you're living in Montana... ;)

If you have time, go look the tractor's over; sit in the seat, work the controls. It can help with the decision-making process! :laughing:

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ 2008 3720 Cab vs 2011 3320 ??? #10  
I would go with the 3720 cab. Take an oil sample and send it to Blackstone labs - this can tell you if there is any wear based on the metals and elements in the oil - I do this on my larger farm equipment and my diesel trucks.