looking at a used 2007 x300

/ looking at a used 2007 x300 #1  

andyt11

There is a used x300 for sale locally with 213 hours on it. It's a 2007 model. Seems tidy and it hasn't gone very far judging by the hour meter. But, I read a lot of scarey stuff about the k46 tranny. Time is a premium these days and I want to sell my aging Kubota essentially because I don't have time to repair it any more. I really don't have spare time for much other than routine maintenance. The last thing I want to do is buy a machine where I'll be dealing with a transmission replacement or rebuild in another couple of seasons. That said, there is good info out there on how to do it and where to get the parts, and I'm plently capable of doing it if only I made time, so it's perhaps not the end of the world. I'd just prefer not to.

I only have half an acre of sloped lawn to cut. Occasional pulling of a kart with planters and such in it. Nothing remotely hard work and only for an hour a week.

I'm looking for pointers on what to check when I go to check this machine over. Specifically regarding the transmission.

/ looking at a used 2007 x300 #2  
I don't think the 2007 models have the infamous K46, I think John Deere began using them in 2008 on the x series. You might want to verify that if it doesn't have the K46. I would be a great tractor for what you are going to use it for

/ looking at a used 2007 x300
Actually, I was too slow and it sold. There is another one for sale, a 2006 but its got an unknown number of hours on it. 200 was a nice number. Thanks though.

Andy

/ looking at a used 2007 x300 #5  
There is a used x300 for sale locally with 213 hours on it. It's a 2007 model. Seems tidy and it hasn't gone very far judging by the hour meter. But, I read a lot of scarey stuff about the k46 tranny. Time is a premium these days and I want to sell my aging Kubota essentially because I don't have time to repair it any more. I really don't have spare time for much other than routine maintenance. The last thing I want to do is buy a machine where I'll be dealing with a transmission replacement or rebuild in another couple of seasons. That said, there is good info out there on how to do it and where to get the parts, and I'm plently capable of doing it if only I made time, so it's perhaps not the end of the world. I'd just prefer not to.

I only have half an acre of sloped lawn to cut. Occasional pulling of a kart with planters and such in it. Nothing remotely hard work and only for an hour a week.

I'm looking for pointers on what to check when I go to check this machine over. Specifically regarding the transmission.

If the K46 dies, you can rebuild it for about $350 or buy a K58, $750 including front mount, new rims bolts and nuts, fan and pulley, and you do the labor.

The K46 rebuild should have the new drain plugs drilled, tapped and installed and 5W50 synthetic used for either.

/ looking at a used 2007 x300 #6  
Sorry to hear that you missed it. Might want to consider a 2006 or 2007 X304 (with K58 transmission) or any X320 on up that may be in your price range.

There are used mower sites out there beyond CL. However, these are usually dealer trade ins and they generally want a higher price.

A month ago, I found a 2008 X304 with 1600 hours and K46 ransmission on one of these used mower sites and just finished rebuilding the tractor with a K58. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a new K46CC from Tuff Torq and had them upgrade it to K57 specs. It would have been cheaper. However, I did get to put in drain plugs and 5W50 synthetic oil and rare earth magnets, to ensure it lasts.