Nice lunch with John Deere reps.

/ Nice lunch with John Deere reps. #1  

cowboydoc

Tractor
JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer
Yesterday morning on my way to work I get a call from the dealer on the cell phone. Two of deere's guys are going to be at his dealership today. They asked if they could meet with me on the problems with the 5420 and make sure that I was happy with how I was treated. I said sure and we made arrangements to meet for lunch.

Two guys from Deere. One from marketing and research and the other guy was from design and dealer relations regarding problems with equpment. We talked about the 5420 first. They wanted to know everything I didn't like about it and exactly why it didn't work for me. They were extremely nice and were sorry it didn't work for me. They explained that they walk a fine line when matching equipment to implements. You don't want to tell a guy that they need too much or too little tractor. They were very honest and said yes the cab does take 5-8 hp to run. This is something they have already sent a memo to dealers to tell customers and that will be in the new brochure. They also said implements are rated to be run on flat ground. If you have hills you have to figure this in and they said typically you need an extra 10 hp if you are going to be working in alot of hills. We talked some more about the features of the tractor and then talked about the 6000 series. I specifically asked why they made them in Germany. Here is where I learned alot.

First of all they said they sell four times as many 6000 series tractors in Europe as they do over here. They said it was simple logistics there. They said regardless of what I've heard or other people have said John Deere designed every component of that tractor. He also said that John Deere's quality is above reproach. He said they have been bitten in the past by poor quality from mfg. He said they take it very seriously and they have represenatives in every mfg. facility for deere and be assured that deere does oversee the quality.

The other thing that he said that I didn't realize is that John Deere also owns many of these companies that make the different parts for tractors. He said they own controlling interests or are invested heavily in just about every mfg. for deere. He said you may not see the John Deere name but they still own the company.

The next thing we talked about was how much stuff was actually made here. He said Deere makes that decsision based on where the market is. Nearly all of the farming equipment, discs, plows, planters, sprayers, etc. are all made and mfg. here in the US. The 7000, 8000, and 9000 series tractors are all made here and like the 6000 series the boat that brings them over takes back a load of 7,8, and 9's. Also all of the combines are made here as well. He said the big farming equipment is where deere makes most of it's money and sells the most equipment.

These guys were extremely honest about things and told me some more stuff that I can't really say about the new gators, tractor research and such. They answered all of my questions very honestly and didn't pull any smokescreens. They were younger guys like myself and were some of the nicest corporate guys I've ever talked to. When we parted they thanked me again for being a deere customer, were apologetic again that the 5420 didn't work, and wanted to make sure I was happy with the process of getting the new tractor. I tryed to buy lunch but they wouldn't have any of it. They gave me two tickets to the Deere Classic PGA tourn. that is coming to Illinois. They also gave me a VIP to tour the facility in Waterloo where the big tractors are made.

To say the least I came away very impressed. Whenever there was a problem it only took deere the same day or by the next morning we had an answer. The whole process from buyback to getting the new tractor has taken a week. That is extremely impressive to me. When Ford bought my truck back last year for 10 times the problems of this tractor I had to get a lawyer, go through a dispute settlement board, denials from Ford, etc. etc. They never did admit anything and only blamed me for the problems with the truck. A long ordeal and never got so much as one kind word from them when the board found in my favor. Deere never one time tryed to not trade or make any excuses. They just did it, made it right with me beyond my expectations, and did it all in a week.

I came away with a new understanding of deere and why things are done the way they are. Some people may not like deere or think they're too expensive. You may think their people are too proud of deere. But after my experience over this tractor deal there is a very good reason they are the best and people are proud of them. They take care of the customer to the nth degree. It's no wonder they've survived as a company for over a 100 years.

/ Nice lunch with John Deere reps. #2  
W/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifW!!

Thanks for the insight, Doc!

/ Nice lunch with John Deere reps. #4  
Tell us the rest of the story, CountryBoy. Did/do you own a tractor?

/ Nice lunch with John Deere reps. #5  
( Tell us the rest of the story, CountryBoy. Did/do you own a tractor? )

And now for the rest of the story........Yep a John Deere 4400. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I use to have a John Deere "GP" wide tread back before the war. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My JD 4400 problems.
2nd day of operation leaking hydraulic oil from under the seat,dealer came down found loose fitting under seat.2 weeks time 513 rotary cutter falling apart.

1st trip to shop for repairs less than a year old.
1.Would not start 1/2 the time.They installed a new solenoid and starter.
2.Differental lock failure.
3.Hydro tranny had to be replaced.
4. Lost nut on steering brake.
Tractor in shop for 3 weeks during spring planting season.
Tractor returned to my home,next day I tried to start it would not start,took about 15 minutes to get started this is a reoccuring problem that they finally got fixed about a year later.Also looking under tractor noticed leaking hydraulic oil where tractor was put back together from repairs.(small leak)
I decide I can live with leak until fall of year because I do not want to give tractor up for another 3 weeks during growing season.
I also decide I need to replace R-4 tires with R-1 tires because R-4 tires failed miserably during my 1st winter of using the tractor. I installed tires and rims myself,so I have a set of R-4 tires and rims in the barn,that I have no need for and John Deere has no need for,you think John Deere would have given me a break on the price since I asked for R-1 tires when I bought the tractor new and my dealer said they had no R-1 tires to put on the tractor and it would be a month before they could have any? No price break....After I bought the R-1 tires and told the salesman about the poor performance of the R-4 tires he said"We are still learning".

The fall of 2001 comes around and I decide I better get the hydraulic leak from the 1st warranty repair imperfection fixed,while the tractor is still under warranty.I take the tractor back to the shop and they repair(I have never had a loose wheel bolt problem yet)and also I want them to address the hard starting issue.
The tractor is brought home...leak repaired,still will not start 1/2 the time.I use the tractor a few months and I start having loose wheel bolt problems,I have to keep a socket in my toolbox to tighten the lug nuts when using the tractor.
Dealer comes to my house to install an inline electrical piece in the fuse box which finally solves the starting problem after a 1 1/2 years.I tell the field technician that I am having trouble keeping the wheel lug nuts tightened,he says we need to get this tractor in the shop.I say fine.While the tractor is in the shop I tell the dealer I would like to have a 4 in 1 loader installed,with all of the SCVs installed, ok...right at $6000.While the tractor is in the shop the dealer calls me and says the wheels centers and axles need replace and John Deere will not cover this because I field installed the wheels myself...Well I get to thinking I never had this problem before the fall of 2001 when the dealer had the tractor in the shop to fix the hydraulic leak,my point being the dealer was the last ones to have taken the wheels off and reinstalled them,I said tell the JD field rep the loose wheel bolts were not a problem until after a John Deere dealer worked on the tractor and I am not going to pay for the wheel centers/axles and labor.So they let me off the hook on this one and I have the old wheel centers and axles in my barn and I will be darned if I can see anything wrong with them compared to the new ones that were installed.Here is the kicker......After my tractor was returned I had another hydraulic leak in the same area of the original one from the hydro repair that the dealer repaired in the fall of 2001 and after about 2 HOURS of operation(day the tractor was returned to me) the freaking wheel bolts start loosening up again,I call the dealer.....they do not know what to do.... I am needing this tractor to use...I stop by the Kubota dealership to see how Kubota puts the wheels on they have a stud installed from the backside and a nut and lockwasher on the outside,I stop at my John Deere dealer and tell them what Kubota has done to there wheels,they say wow that is a good idea,I say do you have any bolts/nuts and washers that are threaded the same as the lug nuts but longer so I can fix it myself? They say no,but they(the dealer) make a few phone calls to the local auto parts stores and they cannot help me... So I drive all over 2 cities trying to find a bolt that will fit..I finally found 2 at an Auto Zone and I purchase a bottle of thread lock(blue color) and go home and make the fix....at least with 2 bolts I know the wheel will not fall of completely,periodically I have to back the bolts out with my craftsmen and put thread lock on (blue color)and re-install them and the last a little longer this way.Well in the mean time my 2 year warranty expires my differental lock fails again and I still have the small hydraulic leak and the wheel bolts stay tighter longer than they use too but still come loose. Early on in the game(1st year) my JD rep called me and told me it was "an embarasment to John Deere"for me to have had all these problems. Later on during the warranty period John Deere assigned a new field rep to my area(Marietta Ohio)and he NEVER has called me and I sent a letter to head office and no reply....So thats the way it goes the working man gets the shaft.......I have always been courteous and polite with my dealer....they give me credit and I am always paid up...Early on John Deere sent me a voucher/coupon to trade my JD 4400 in,a common voucher sent out to JD 4000 series owners when they were getting ready to introduce the new 4010 series...I talked to my dealer about trading and the voucher/coupon would not even come close to the difference they wanted on trade in....the salesman said he did not want anymore of the 4000 series setting around on the lot.....so anyway the JD 4400 still leaks a little hydro oil and I still keep my craftsmen socket in the tool box and I keep a close eye on the wheel bolts....

/ Nice lunch with John Deere reps. #6  
All I can say is 'that sucks'! Do you think if you'd had a better dealer, it would have worked out better for you?

I know they had a lot of trouble with the 4000 series hydros but (as far as I know) they JD stood behind that problem. I even heard of them replacing the hydro after the warranty was up.

I never could understand the wheels coming loose. Looks like that would/should be a simple fix.

All those leaks should have been taken care of by the dealer.

I had a 99 JD 4600 2WD with collar shift. Never had one problem with it. I wanted a 4WD hydro but had heard of the hydro problems. So I waited for the 4610 and bought one. So far so good.

/ Nice lunch with John Deere reps. #7  
I even heard of them replacing the hydro after the warranty was up.

The hydro was replaced under warranty,the reason it was replaced was because of metal shavings in the hydraulic fluid.
The thing still leaks a little hydro oil,but I never had them come and get it again because I did not want the tractor to be taken back to the shop for 2 weeks (again) so now I just keep an eye on the hydro level and the wheel bolts.

If any John Deere reps read this note and want to discuss this further email me.I save my paper work etc.
I would buy another John Deere,I never give my dealers any grief,so I sleep well at night,I know I am easy to deal with maybe I am too easy.

/ Nice lunch with John Deere reps. #8  
<font color="blue"> My JD 4400 problems. </font>
CountryBoy, you need to talk to Hillbilly or Scott_in_WVA. They had very similar problems with their 4400s. Hillbilly's problems are detailed in this thread. The problems Scott_in_WVA had are detailed in this thread.

Hillbilly's profile doesn't indicate where he lives, but Scott_in_WVA must live in West Virginia, based upon his user name. Maybe you two could get together and share some solutions. How unusual that 2 people, 3 if Hillbilly is from WVA, from the same state, each with 4400s, would have very similar problems. I wonder if John Deere had a bad batch of 4400s that were shipped to the same state. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Nice lunch with John Deere reps. #10  
Cowboy Doc : wow it sure is nice to know I bought from a company that will appreciate my buisiness. I think many of us easily over look that big corps are run by regular guys just like us that go to work and punch a clock. I am really glad that went so well. The one question I have is, What kind of truck do you have now ? I had ya pegged for a Ford guy. Dave