Tractor Sizing 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #1  

Thowle

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4066R Cab w/ H180 and 4-in-1 Bucket
Guys,

Thinking of getting a tractor (either 5E, 5M, or 6M) and a CX15 or MX15 mower to start mowing fields here that are in the USDA CRP Conservation program.

Some fields will be flat, others may have quite a bit of uneven terrain.

What do you think would be the best tractor for the job, with enough weight and a wide enough stance to feel secure on the roughest and uneven terrain.

The 5115M seems nice, as does the 6105M.. decisions decisions.

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #2  
The 5115M is a good machine for that. The 6 series is in a whole different price point.

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #3  
If this is the only purpose you have for the tractor I would go with a low profile 6 series and set it as wide as you can so that if you do get into steeper areas you will feel safer and be safer.

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing
What's the big difference in a 6D? Just a watered down tractor? Be better with a 5000 than a 6D?

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #5  
What's the big difference in a 6D? Just a watered down tractor? Be better with a 5000 than a 6D?

A more basic 5M thats built in mexico, comes with bias tires and a slow transmission that wont be a good combo on the road. I would go for a 6M just for the PowrQuad transmission. Its a no brainier to get that than a 5M.

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #6  

The 6D is a no frills tractor. Less electronics and gadgets but still plenty of power. I personally would go with a 6 series for what you want to do. I'm looking at the 6105D and if I decide to buy it one of the first implements I buy for it will be a 15' rotary cutter. I would be buying it to run my big plow and my baler but the larger rotary cutter would just be to speed up farm chores.

Is the power reverser in the 5 series not as good as the power quad you mentioned in 6?

Eh, maybe my naming isn't sticking the same... But I see the 6d on the configuration has a 9/9 power reverse max, and the 5m has a 32/16 power reverser

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #9  
Is the power reverser in the 5 series not as good as the power quad you mentioned in 6?

The PowrQuad is 10 times better. You can press a button and it changes gears, for the cab. For a open station you just push the lever. Basically everything is synchronized.

Didn't see a powerquad option on configuration for the 6...