Plastic hoods and fenders instead of steel ones

/ Plastic hoods and fenders instead of steel ones #1  

EuroYanmar

Gold Member
Tractor
Tractormatic
I am very perplex about the advantages or drawbaks of plastic instead of steel in hoods and fenders manufacturing.
Deere plastic is very thick and seem of good quality.
For us here corosion is a big concern.
I was thinking that plastic parts would keep my tractor tidier as they will never rust.
For example I own an 250 hours US made road legal Kubota RTV900 and the rust is everywhere.

What is your opinion about plastic hoods and fenders ?

Phil

/ Plastic hoods and fenders instead of steel ones #2  
JD has been using it for many many years, and in my opinion it holds up very well.

/ Plastic hoods and fenders instead of steel ones #3  
It seems to fade more quickly than paint on metal, if left in direct sun light, and is prone to warp (perhaps too harsh a term) deform as well

/ Plastic hoods and fenders instead of steel ones #4  
The more I deal with fixing rust on my other steel equipment, the more I like my Yanmar's plastic hood and fenders.

/ Plastic hoods and fenders instead of steel ones #5  
My 13 year old JD4700 has most of the plastic cracking. It gets brittle with age. Not the rear fender plastic but the hood, side panels, cowl, & grill.

/ Plastic hoods and fenders instead of steel ones #6  
It seems to fade more quickly than paint on metal, if left in direct sun light, and is prone to warp (perhaps too harsh a term) deform as well

You know,,, I have often wondered about that. I am partially color blind so sometimes a gator that has been setting around for a while at the dealers lot looks pink to me. I've learned not to say anything because the guy will just look at me like maybe I am pink.

/ Plastic hoods and fenders instead of steel ones #7  
For example I own an 250 hours US made road legal Kubota RTV900 and the rust is everywhere.

What is your opinion about plastic hoods and fenders ?

Phil

Well Phil,

I find it interesting that while discussing plastic hoods and fenders that you bring up the RTV being rusty. I find this interesting because the RTV also has plastic fenders and hood, no rust there.

/ Plastic hoods and fenders instead of steel ones
Well Phil,

I find it interesting that while discussing plastic hoods and fenders that you bring up the RTV being rusty. I find this interesting because the RTV also has plastic fenders and hood, no rust there.

Yes DT36, I maintain that Kubota paint job is of very bad quality !
Of course I am not speaking about RTV hoods and fenders.
I am speaking about its ROPS, its metal roof, its winshield frame, its front guard, bed frame, everypart of the vehicle which is steel with paint coating rust very fast.
For me its a question of preparation of the steel before painting.
What is sure is that there no comparison possible between a regular car paint and a RTV900 paint.
But.......I like my RTV 900 and it is of huge help for me. Everything is perfect on this vehicle except paint and changing gear under load (for example on a steep slope).
Phil

Last edited:
I see some of us like very much the plastic and some no.
From a purely mechanical point of view it looks very thick and strong.
I have noticed too that it is coloured in its thickness not only on surface.
But only guys who own a tractor for a long time can describe the fading of the colour.

Rust or brightness of colour...we must choose.

Phil

The more I deal with fixing rust on my other steel equipment, the more I like my Yanmar's plastic hood and fenders.

Katahdin,

How is the plastic on the US Yanmar ? Thick ? I am asking this because at the begining of 2014 a new 40 HP Yanmar will be imported in EC.
I don't know which one (US model, Japan model, global model...). I think it could be one of the US models.
Since Cub Cadet and Yanmar are separated have'nt US Yanmar been discontinued ?

Phil