3038E, Anyone have one ?

/ 3038E, Anyone have one ? #1  

Agent Blue

Platinum Member
Thirty eight hp sounds like alot of zip for a small frame tractor. Just saw an ad for one. It said prices start at 16k for the E series. They still continue with the two speed hydro. Three speed should be minimum.

/ 3038E, Anyone have one ? #2  
That is engine HP, how much at the business end - PTO HP?

I agree in the HST, should be three speed.

/ 3038E, Anyone have one ? #3  
There's a lot of testimonials in the Review section of the site. I've looked long and hard at the JD E series and the reviews seem to show it's a good economy based tractor. The E stands for economy so it doesn't have all the same luxuries other JD tractors are typical of possessing but is still an all around good tractor.

Displacement of the engine on the 3038e is actually smaller than the 3032e but it has a turbo and will give you about 5 more hp at the pto than the 3032e. As for lift capacity, torque and other specs the tractors are identical.

/ 3038E, Anyone have one ? #4  
I've been using one for about three years now. Low range does fine for most everything I use it for, I would not want to travel any faster while mowing, tilling, etc. . The only real use of hi range for me has been road travel. PTO is rated at 30 HP. I have never felt underpowered while using PTO equipment.

Nick

/ 3038E, Anyone have one ? #5  
Had a 3038e for a year and a half. Great little tractor. Traded an old JD 2030 in on it. I just couldn't hack getting on and off the bigger unit during routine work. The 3038e is much easier, and does about all I could want. The low range is great for mowing, bladework and such. It is strong enough to pull some sizeable logs and the bucket is strong enough for small farm work. I do miss the size of the older JD bucket sometimes with moving dirt.

Biggest negative on a CUT - and it applies to most all makes - is that the narrowness of the unit makes it less stable on a slope. Big old tractors are more stable. Small CUTs just worry me so that I have to work more up and down a mild slope than across. I hope I never roll it, but I wear the seatbelt any time I'm on any kind of slope.

If you get a 3038e, suggest you certainly get the rear tires filled, you need the weight. And the Ratchet Rake is a great addition to the small bucket for all kinds of work. Also you may need some way to carry tools etc., since the tool box is small. But there are all kinds of ideas for such things - cheap - on TBN.