New 2014 Deere 3R series

/ New 2014 Deere 3R series #31  
Yes, please let us know which shows up if you get a chance.

Watching the video, does it not look like the undercarriage has gone from black to green? That'd be a big change cosmetically, would look really nice I think.

I don't know what we would gain from an ethrottle... I suppose a more advanced "cruise control" could be used if the throttle could be controlled via computer. Maybe the PTO speed could be "locked" at 540 RPM & the ethrottle would work like a governor to try to maintain a consistent speed.

The eThrottle links the foot pedal to the throttle. It's pretty handy for loader work,in fact it's pretty handy for everything but PTO tasks. You enable/disable it with a rocker switch. Its a good feature, and its nice to see it on something besides the 4520 and 4720.

/ New 2014 Deere 3R series #32  
The eThrottle links the foot pedal to the throttle. It's pretty handy for loader work,in fact it's pretty handy for everything but PTO tasks. You enable/disable it with a rocker switch. Its a good feature, and its nice to see it on something besides the 4520 and 4720.

Wow, sounds very nice, like something that would be well worth waiting a couple months for if included on the 3R's.

I suppose the computer could slow down engine RPM's when neither hydro pedal is being pressed & the tractor is stopped, then increase RPM's strategically as either pedal is pushed? That could save fuel as well I would think.

/ New 2014 Deere 3R series #33  
I would wait for it...if it's coming with the new 3xxx's. I really like it. I usually just leave the hand throttle at idle, then as you press either pedal, the engine speeds up. Works great with LoadMatch.

/ New 2014 Deere 3R series #34  
Arlen, thank you very much for bringing that up, that makes up my mind for me for sure, wait for the 3R's. Thanks again! :drink:

/ New 2014 Deere 3R series #35  
Arlen, thank you very much for bringing that up, that makes up my mind for me for sure, wait for the 3R's. Thanks again! :drink:

Wouldn't wait. First year models are always troublesome. Not to mention the tier4s are a pain. And prepare for a nice price increase.

/ New 2014 Deere 3R series #36  
Wouldn't wait. First year models are always troublesome. Not to mention the tier4s are a pain. And prepare for a nice price increase.

Hmm, maybe you're on to something there. I'd like to just buy the 3720 that I'm demoing right now, the price they gave me was decent I thought. Do they really have a history of having issues with first year models? Is the tier 4 stuff that significant on a tractor of this size? Price increase couldn't be that much, could it?

/ New 2014 Deere 3R series #37  
Dealer told my buddy that the tier 4 hasn't trickled down to the 3000twenty series yet. Not sure if that's true or not.

/ New 2014 Deere 3R series #38  
Tier 4 will jump prices up considerably on all brands. If Deere is changing to #R, modt likely it will have tier 4 becuase they will have to be there sooner than later.
Buy you 3720 now, you'll definitely pay more later, maybe 3-4,000 more.

/ New 2014 Deere 3R series #39  
Hmm, maybe you're on to something there. I'd like to just buy the 3720 that I'm demoing right now, the price they gave me was decent I thought. Do they really have a history of having issues with first year models? Is the tier 4 stuff that significant on a tractor of this size? Price increase couldn't be that much, could it?

Every manufacturer seems to have at least minor problems to fix with first year models. In fact, some new models take a few years to even find the problems. I think it was some of the XX20 series that were having failures of the gasket between the front cover and cylinder head after a couple of years worth of use...it would cause a coolant leak, and was a fairly involved fix. They have it solved now, but that's the kind of thing that you risk with a model that's new. With the 3720, you're less likely to have that sort or problem, it will certainly be cheaper than anything comparable with Tier IV, and it has that many less things to fail in 10 or 20 years, so long-term maintenance should be lower.

Every brand seems to be different, but the most common increase people report their dealer citing is something like 10-15%....so you're talking a couple thousand dollars, at least.

/ New 2014 Deere 3R series #40  
Every manufacturer seems to have at least minor problems to fix with first year models. In fact, some new models take a few years to even find the problems. I think it was some of the XX20 series that were having failures of the gasket between the front cover and cylinder head after a couple of years worth of use...it would cause a coolant leak, and was a fairly involved fix. They have it solved now, but that's the kind of thing that you risk with a model that's new. With the 3720, you're less likely to have that sort or problem, it will certainly be cheaper than anything comparable with Tier IV, and it has that many less things to fail in 10 or 20 years, so long-term maintenance should be lower.

Every brand seems to be different, but the most common increase people report their dealer citing is something like 10-15%....so you're talking a couple thousand dollars, at least.

So not much different than a pickup or a snowmobile, there's risk involved with a first year model (sometimes significant as I've found out over the last few years). It's that way with everything else I guess & these tractors would likely be no different.

I talked with my dealer today, he had spoken with a regional rep from Deere for me today on this. They are not expecting the 3R's to show up until February (assuming everything goes good on the line), with pricing info. likely in November. I'm not sure how big the price jump was on the 2R's when they came out this summer but he's guessing (and he stressed it was only a guess at this point until next month) that I could expect around 4 or 4 1/2 percent on the 2014 3R's. I understand that extra complexity comes with tier 4 compliance, but I wonder if they would not spread these costs to the consumer out over a longer time period than just tacking the whole amount on in one year; the market sure wouldn't like to see huge increases all at one time, could impact sales very significantly if 10 or 15% was all added at once to a specific product!

I'm thinking I should just buy the 3720 that's in my shed right now as a demo instead of waiting & spending more. In 10 years the R series are no doubt going to be worth more than the "ancient" 3X20 series, that's almost always the case (unless the new models are a flop, very doubtful), but the 3720 will have cost less up front as well. If the increase turns out to be 10 or 15%, I'll be really thankful I went ahead when I did!

The reasons I wouldn't just wait until November when new pricing is announced, are that the fiscal year ends Oct. 31 and the dealer is motivated to sell things now before the end of October, and also the fact that they have the right tractor on hand (only one of them, the one I'm demoing) for me right now & might not get any more of these in.