4720 Top and Tilt....OUCH!

/ 4720 Top and Tilt....OUCH! #1  

Dano33

Tractor
4720 (2013) / 4310 (2002)
Hello All-

After owning my 4310 since 2002, I figured it was time to upgrade so this past Friday, I went to my local dealer and put in a purchase order for a cabbed 4720. While going through the "necessary" options, I asked about adding the top and tilt option. My 4310 did not have this option, however there were times when I wish it did have it, so i figured I would add it to the 4720. Well, my jaw about hit the dealers desk when he quoted me a price of about $3000 for the top and tilt kit and the diverter kit. Needless to say, I passed on this option for now.

What I am wondering is, does the top and tilt option really cost $3000? I plan to use this option occasionally with non powered blades, however for $3000, it looks like I will be making manual adjustments.

For those of you familiar with top and tilt, is their is another way to make this work?

One benefit I do have is that right down the road from me lives a Deere mechanic who works at my local dealership and works on tractors at his place on the side, so I was thinking about heading on over to his place and asking him about options as well. If anything, he should be able to do the work, so at least I have that working for me.

So, any suggestions on the best way to go about this?

Dan-

/ 4720 Top and Tilt....OUCH! #2  
No suggestions on a cheaper route but yup, top and tilt does cost a bunch. I would have installed it years ago but I can't justify spending $3k to avoid getting on and off the tractor as much. My neighbor has it on his old old old Kubota and I'm considering buying the tractor just to cannibalize the top and tilt.

/ 4720 Top and Tilt....OUCH! #3  
How much are just the remotes?

/ 4720 Top and Tilt....OUCH! #4  
Talk to you friend and see what he says for the rear remotes. I will sell you a complete top & tilt set, cylinders, hoses, flow restrictors for $635 + shipping costs. I can supply after market valves if you want to go that way. It's common to go with a 3 spool valve set up, 2 with the float function. this runs $890 + shipping costs, but you should ask your friend first. Email me at my web site, Fit Rite Hydraulics and I will get you a detailed quote. ;)

/ 4720 Top and Tilt....OUCH! #5  
I have no idea how it could cost $3000.
10 years ago it cost me around $750 to add top and tilt.
Tractor came standard with 1 rear remote.
I added a second remote for $200.
Top and tilt cylinders and hoses were around $550.
Total $750

/ 4720 Top and Tilt....OUCH! #6  
Did the dealer give you prices on the rear SCVs? I think on the 4720 the mid are counted as 1 & 2. A single rear for 3. Then a pair of rears 4 &5.
Also Power Beyond. You do not have to buy valve 3 in order to be able to buy valves 4 & 5. You can buy as few or many of these in any combination as you want.

Just 4 & 5 would give you the valves for Top and Tilt.
Or Power Beyond would allow you to mount an aftermarket valve set.

I would suggest getting everything you want at one time.

/ 4720 Top and Tilt....OUCH! #7  
In addition to everything Zebra said, there is also a factory diverter option that, with a touch of a button, diverts the mid mount SCV's to the rear. Those would give you true proportional action. I do think you would want to go factory with the remotes because things Are very tight on the cabbed 4720's. I've seen quite a few posts with people adding custom SCV's to open station units, but have never seen one for a cabbed unit.
For the rest of it, I think fit-rite would save you some dollars.

/ 4720 Top and Tilt....OUCH! #8  
I agree, very difficult to do a good aftermarket SCV install on a cab tractor. :eek:

/ 4720 Top and Tilt....OUCH! #9  
I have top and tilt from fit rite. It is a great set!

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ 4720 Top and Tilt....OUCH!
The dealer I am working with admitted that he has not sold a lot of top and tilt kits, so he basically went with what was on the "build your own" site which calls for the top and tilt kit and the diverter. Both kits installed were quoted at around $3000.

To be honest, he did mention that there may be another way to get the top and tilt function without going with what was recommended, however he was not sure how to do it. From what I am reading, can I get away with this just by adding the 4th and 5th SCV's? If so, this may be a less costly proposition.

Dan-