newbie tryin to decide (long)

/ newbie tryin to decide (long) #1  

Dirtboy

Silver Member
Tractor
Cant decide
hi folks im new to this great site!!! anyway im tryin to decide which JD to get. heres my situation; I have 6 acres thats mostly weeds. . I live in an old farm house that has several old chicken coup foundations i need to clear so i would use it for this as well as snow removal. i also am thinking about my future after i retire. i am 36 now so i have a ways to go but want to do light construction (water lines, property clearing ect.) for my after retirment fun!!! at this time cost is not an issue. I want a unit that will last. im leanin twards a 4610 e-hydro. any thoughts woul be greatly appreciated. thanks mike

/ newbie tryin to decide (long) #2  
I'm not sure if you meant to rub people the wrong way, but
I can see where two areas would: Cost is not an issue, and talking about retirement at 36 ( or a few years after). Just another rich young dude one might think...Hence the lack of replys? I'm 37 and I would never allow myself to come across that way.
The machine is fantastic and probably overkill for 6 acres, but since cost is not a factor- go for it..

Ducati996 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ newbie tryin to decide (long) #3  
He did not rub me the wrong way he was just stating that he wants the machine to last for a while not just for ten years and he has no problem paying for his new rig. But anyway the 4610s are pretty good machines. Good engines and the build quality appears to be higher than the smaller 10's.

/ newbie tryin to decide (long) #4  
I don't think the problem is rubbing anyone the wrong way. I think the problem is that we don't have enough information. </font><font color="blue" class="small">( old chicken coup foundations i need to clear )</font> What kind and size of foundations? What does "clear" mean? Do you want to move them elsewhere? Bury them? Or what? </font><font color="blue" class="small">( want to do light construction (water lines, property clearing ect.) )</font> How light? There's no doubt the 4610 e-hydro is a nice tractor, but whether it's suited for your purposes . . . well, we just don't know. What part of the country are you in? Are you going to be digging in sand, clay, rock? What implments are you planning to have with the tractor? Front end loader? Snow blower (front or rear)? Blades? Backhoe? Brush hog?

Now, it's just my personal opinion, but I think the only reason you haven't gotten any answers is simply because none of us know how to answer. If you can provide more information, be more specific, etc. this is a friendly bunch and will certainly try to help.

Besides that, most of us like to give our opinions and help someone else spend their money. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ newbie tryin to decide (long)
I first want to say im sorry for coming accross as A rich snob. Im far from it!! my intentions are to buy this machine w/backhoe, loader,6ft cutter and possibly a tiller. im young and workin alot of overtime, now i feel is the time to get it.i will be using for home use as well as possible light construction in the future. i know this tractor is over kill for 6 acres but i only want to make this purchase once,before my wife hits menapause. my ground around here is clay with rock. as far as the foundations, i want to clear them and plant grass. again im sorry for my initial post. thanks mike

/ newbie tryin to decide (long) #6  
fair enough I was wrong in reading it that way, I appologize.
You might want to get a box blade or a rear blade for grading.
And a tooth bar for the loader (small ticket items actually)..
It sounds like you got the rest covered and the model tractor which will handle everything with ease...It's too big I would think for fine mowing, so maybe you have a finish mower?
Sorry again for assuming incorrectly..

Ducati996