Thinking about a 790

/ Thinking about a 790 #11  
My 2000 790 which I had stopped better with the dry brakes than with my old 4300 with wet disk. About the planetary drives is that they are supposed to last longer because the load is spread over 3 gears than one which most smaller framed tractors have. To get the planetary drive you need a 4500 or 4510 or higher or a 990. I had no probelms with the spur gears I have owned nor any problems with the planetary drive. If you can afford it or can use the larger frame of the 990 I would get it but both the 790 and 990 are real workhorses.

/ Thinking about a 790 #12  
I've got a 1998 770 with 260 hours on it which I bought used in May of this year. I bush hog about 6 acres and have put about 32 hours on it. The 770 preceeded the 790 (which came out in 1999) and has 20 PTO HP.

The previous owner regularly ran a 5' bush hog with no problems. I'm using an LX-4, and it rarely even slows down. I've cut weeds, thissel, and other stuff that was over the top of the 7' tall stack. It is a great basic tractor that will do whatever the more expensive ones do for a lot less money. A contractor friend has a 1994 770 with a loader and a backhoe with 800 + hours that they work the devil out of with not problems. They leave it outside, and one of the brakes froze up without them knowing it. They drove off that way, and that brake does not work now. They stop it fine with just one brake.

They had to rebuild the backhoe from hard usage, but have had little if any trouble with the tractor.

The 790 or 990 would be an excellent tractor and an excellent buy.

Good luck

Joe

/ Thinking about a 790 #13  
"Funny. I'm originally from Southern California. Born in Riverside County, raised in Orange County."

I was born up here in Northern California. I have been to Southern California twice. Once of course to go to Disneyland and the other to a wedding in Laguna. It's a whole different place. And of course home of the stinkin Lakers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

The 790 is decent tractor. The loader they make for the 790 seems to be rather lightweight and undersized for the HP on the tractor. The brakes on his work very well and the HP to run a 5 foot brush mower, no problem cutting the drier grasses we have out here in Kallifornia. Have you test drove one yet?

/ Thinking about a 790 #14  
I owned a twenty year old JD 650 with dry brake shoes. Never had to replace them (in 3 yrs) or service them in any way.

/ Thinking about a 790
Have you test drove one yet?

I drove one yesterday. The dealer only has one, and it is (was) in the showroom, he was reluctant to let me drive it. He was pushing me (ever so gently) toward a 4310 with PowerReverser sitting outside. I stuck to my guns and they ended up moving a Gator and a few other things out of the way to let me drive it. They didn't seem too happy about it since it took everyone of the salesman and a few others to get it done. Then when they fired up the 790 it smoked up the showroom. It seemed to me that it had been sitting there a while. Maybe if I'm lucky it will be one of the older 30HP units., but I don't know if I'm welcome there anymore. I know I certainly won't be if I don't buy it. LOL! Just for fun I drove the 4310 too.

Kevin

/ Thinking about a 790
Jerry,

AndyM from over in the NH forum suggest I talk to you about the TC-30. If you don't want to do it here. Here is the link to the thread.

/ Thinking about a 790 #17  
Kevin,
In my recent pass I was throught your neck of the woods at least oncwe a week. Lived in Herndon and had business with folks in your area. I have a 790 and it works great for me. I wanted a basic work everyday dependable tractor and with the 790 I have not been disapointed. Don't worry about the spur gears as they are very strong and long lasting. The only concern that I have ever had with the 790 is side hill cutting, so watch this, but, I would have that concern with all small narrow tractors. This is a basic tractor that in my opinion works well and hard. I use mine for bush hogging (2" minus), skiding logs, landscaping, box blading etc. Some folks are concerned about the lifting ability of the FEL but I have accidently lifted the rear end with rotary cutter ((516)attached. It is simple and you can do your own maintenance ... enjoy your 790!
Leo

/ Thinking about a 790 #18  
Kevin, not to interject Blue into a Green discussion, but you asked for it. I choose my tractor from among the big three 30hp economy selections:

NH TC30
Kubota L3000DT
John Deere 790

I found the prices on all three to be the same in my area for gear drive models. The NH is the only one with Hydro for $1,000 more.

I found the Kubota to be too cramped for me. Too many things to trip over while climbing on or off. Same problem with the 790.

I was very concerned that the 790 only had a 900 lbs rated 3pt hitch.

The best thing about the 790 was the easy-on easy-off loader. You really can't beat the Deere in this area.

I bought the TC30 because it had an open operator platform, Hydro availability, and 1,600 lb rated 3pt.

It's a great machine, but I may trade it for a bigger one next year. I tend to do a lot of heavy work with mine like moving rocks and planting 'balled' trees. I routinely run out of hydraulic power for moving trees and rocks in the 1,000 to 2,000 lbs range.

Note: Kevin asked for these comments, so don't roast me over the coals /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 329405-TC_operator.jpg
    329405-TC_operator.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 136
   / Thinking about a 790 #19  
Another picture /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

(photo borrowed from another TBN'r)

Attachments

• 329406-tc30.pedal.jpg
    329406-tc30.pedal.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 175
   / Thinking about a 790 #20  
Last one

(Borrowed this one as well. Can't remember from whom)

Attachments

• 329408-tc30.jpg
    329408-tc30.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 139