Tractor Sizing When is big too big? Looking to upgrade 2210 to 2032R...

/ When is big too big? Looking to upgrade 2210 to 2032R... #1  

mfrancis2210

Tractor
John Deere 2210
I have a very odd pickle. I'm looking to upgrade my 2210 to a 2032R. My wife is even enthusiastic about it so I figure I better jump while the iron's hot. It's been a great tractor - literally trouble free - and there's no real need to upgrade. But why not...

However, I have a nagging worry that the 2032R is "too big", or rather too heavy, for my property. I worry that the increased weight will cause excessive compaction or even rutting of the "civilized territory" around the house. I'm not worried about the rest of the property so much. My 2210 has turf tires and I plan them for the 2032R as well.

Not being a tire engineer, is this a valid concern or do the larger turf tires of the 2032R spread the heavier load out just fine? I live in Oklahoma and our underlying soil in my area is a black nasty clay; old farm land turned into residential acreages. As expected, when very wet in the spring I do get compaction or evidence of a little rutting in some spots. By the middle of the summer, a fully loaded cement truck won't dent the ground.

I mostly mow with the tractor and do general landscaping tasks. The added oomph of the bigger engine would be appreciated for the occasional loader work. I'm just worried that at some point the tractor's weight will cause more cosmetic problems to the main lawn than it's worth having.

Has anyone upgraded their tractor's weight by such a jump (1400 lb. to 1975 lb.) and had issues or not? I know the alternative is for me to lose weight to offset, but I don't think I can lose that much.

/ When is big too big? Looking to upgrade 2210 to 2032R... #2  
For reference I went from a Kubota BX 1850 that weighed around 1250 lbs to my current Branson 2400H that weighs around 1800 lbs. I have since filled the rear tires which added approx 250 lbs to the 2400H. Both had the FEL frames but don't know how what they add for weight but would suspect 200 - 300 lbs. The BX had what Kubota calls Bar style tires and the 2400H has R1 Ag tires. I do notice more lug marks from the tires when the ground is wet but for normal mowing I have not noticed any significant difference in tracks in my yard. I have frequently ran with full loads of dirt in the bucket across the lawn with no noticeable tracks.

Biggest difference I noticed is maneuverability between these two tractors. The BX being smaller in stature was more maneuverable while mowing.

/ When is big too big? Looking to upgrade 2210 to 2032R... #3  
I don't use my tractor for mowing, but I routinely run my 4000# B26 TLB in and about my yard with no problem with rutting. I wouldn't worry too much about adding 500 extra pounds to a tractor. IF the smaller tractor doesn't do damage the larger one wont either, as you said, it likely has a bit larger tires so the extra weight is distributed and maybe even better than the smaller tractor depending on how much bigger the tires are. My B26 has industrial tires and doesn't rut even in wet yard. I have even run my 8000# 70 HP across a dry yard and only see a bit if lug tire tracks but no ruts. Some folks on TBN are concerned with running a CUT over septic lines but I don't see that as a problem with a properly installed field line. I don't run them over the tank as that would be a bit foolish and perhaps dangerous but the lines are at least 24"deep and no way is that going to damage them.
I think you are way too concerned about the small amount of weight. My ZTR mower weighs 850#. Just stay off the lawn when it is extremely wet, give it a day or so to dry after a flooding rain and it should be ok assuming your yard drains properly.

/ When is big too big? Looking to upgrade 2210 to 2032R... #4  
When you are using a 450 HP tractor to mow the front yard then you have probably crossed the line into "too big". :thumbsup:
Seriously....It depends on your soil type.

/ When is big too big? Looking to upgrade 2210 to 2032R...
Oldnslo - Thanks for the reply. (I love your tagline on AI...)

Your point on maneuverability is well taken. I've thought about that along with the larger mower deck. It's probably going to mean a few more stripes with the push mower in some spots and a little more care around obstacles in the beginning. I use a push mower for outlining and in a few spots where I just can't safely get with the tractor around the house.

...I don't run them over the tank as that would be a bit foolish...

Good point. Hate to sink it right off the bat, although our tanks are buried pretty deep. It's not a traditional septic system.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not overthinking it. Thank you for your thoughts.

When you are using a 450 HP tractor to mow the front yard then you have probably crossed the line into "too big". :thumbsup:
Seriously....It depends on your soil type.

Wow. That must be one big front yard. Don't think the wife would go for an upgrade that big, but a guy can certainly dream....

/ When is big too big? Looking to upgrade 2210 to 2032R... #8  
I mow with my JD2210 w/62" deck. I mow 3 acres. I'd like to step up to a 72" deck on a tractor similar in size to the 2032. I don't know the exact tire size on that model, but I can't think the footprint would be that much heavier. You are basically adding 500lbs of weight spread over 4 tires, 125lb each if evenly distributed. I run 80lbs of fluid in each rear of my 2210 so I'm almost there already!!!

Go for it. You want it. You deserve it. And it's been thru the budget approval process with a "go" vote (wife). :thumbsup:

/ When is big too big? Looking to upgrade 2210 to 2032R... #9  
just curious...with your current tractor...do you ever have traction issues?

If there was one thing I wish my little B-series had it would be more weight...!

/ When is big too big? Looking to upgrade 2210 to 2032R... #10  
Sorry Pine, not sure if you are talking to me?? If not, please ignore my response. :)

I don't use an FEL on my 2210. I push snow with it. But I don't have traction issues.

I added fluid to the rears to gain stability on steep slopes. I mow 1/4 mile of hiway road banks.