E. Hydro Trans on 5000 and up?

/ E. Hydro Trans on 5000 and up? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
do you think JD will someday use the Hydro transmission on the larger tractors 5000 and up? that trans is used on some 4000 models and smaller and many mowers. to me, the current trans in the larger tractors are a hodgepodge of stuff. seems they keep "adding" various components (for example: why do you need a hand throttle and foot throttle?) to an old design to keep people happy but IMHO it all needs to be trashed and a clean new system used.

/ E. Hydro Trans on 5000 and up? #2  
Well, I was indignant when JD proclaimed tht they started with a clean sheet of paper, when we bought our 6000 series tractor. Means they built a tractor where you couldn't shift gears on the standard version transmission! I thought, how could you people be so stupid to turn your back on all that experience? It was probably put in the hands of a team of young German, earring wearing Engineers at Manheim! Left to those guys, the tractor would probably have a mind controlled throttle! My Electric PTO knob seems to have a mind of its own. Fortunately it has NEVER come on by itself, but sometimes I have to operate it thirty seven times before the PTO starts! GREAT JOB guys, you and your clean sheet of paper! Be carefull what you ask for.

I notice that McCormick apparently has a bunch of larger tractors with hydro, though not sure I would touch them with a ten foot pole either!

Last edited:
   / E. Hydro Trans on 5000 and up? #4  
for example: why do you need a hand throttle and foot throttle?

I use both the hand and foot levers regularly. To keep the engine speed constant @ pto speed, foot throttle would be useless, as would the hand throttle while doing loader work. It's far from a new concept, my 1966 International had both...

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ E. Hydro Trans on 5000 and up? #5  
I couldn't imagine not having both a hand throttle and a foot throttle. A lot of 5 series and up are multi use farm tractors and JD know this. They probably don't want to replace a bunch of hydo trannies under warranty...

/ E. Hydro Trans on 5000 and up? #6  
I think that a hydro could be built to handle everything in the 5 series can dish out. There are some pretty high HP skid loaders, and they hold up fine. Efficiency suffers though. When you start doing ground engaging work, the convienience of a hydro goes away, and you are just using more fuel.
The 6 series on up has some nice tranny options to get the power transfered without much loss and almost the ease of a hydro.
If JD had a 5 series with a hydro, I would own one now instead of my 4720.

/ E. Hydro Trans on 5000 and up? #7  
I use both the hand and foot levers regularly. To keep the engine speed constant @ pto speed, foot throttle would be useless, as would the hand throttle while doing loader work. It's far from a new concept, my 1966 International had both...

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

PLUS ONE!

/ E. Hydro Trans on 5000 and up? #9  
i've been asking for a 5000 series with hydro for 2 years. I currently have 5 4520/4720 machines and would switch to a 5000 hydro instantly if it comes out.

this summer my Deere salesman told me he heard a rumor that one is in the works. I blew it off thinking he's just telling me what I want to hear. Then recently a friend from way over in Vermont told me his dealer told him the same thing. So maybe there is some truth to a hydro 5000 series being in the works.

Has anyone else heard anything on it?

(Deere if you are reading this... I could easily sell 20-30 of these a year for you if you produce it. I know lots of contractors that would jump all over it...)

/ E. Hydro Trans on 5000 and up? #10  
why would you want an hst tranny in 5000 jds.the power reverser works better than the hst would.plus its alot easier to run.