Front Blade for 4010, 4110, 4115 Watch Out !

/ Front Blade for 4010, 4110, 4115 Watch Out ! #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
I purchased a front blade for my 4115. I want to let everyone know what to expect because I am very disapointed with what I recieved. I recieved the same blade that goes on John Deere garden tractors. Back in the 70's my father bought a John Deere 140 with a front blade, one bottom plow, and a spring tooth cultivator. The plow and cultivator were made by Brinley, but the front blade was a John Deere. All these implements I still have, and use on my 316. When I compared the two blades, I was amazed to find them exectly the same. The blade is good quality, but not made for or big enough for a compact tractor. When you angle it, it will not cover the width of the tractor. WAKE UP JOHN DEERE ! Someone is sleeping... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Front Blade for 4010, 4110, 4115 Watch Out ! #2  
Does anyone know if a front blade for a 300 or 400 series lawn tractor would work on my 4115 without any modifications?

/ Front Blade for 4010, 4110, 4115 Watch Out ! #3  
It covers every width up to the 4115, but your tractor should be offered with a 60" blade, at least.

There's nothing wrong with the moldboard. It is for light grading and snow--nothing else. if someone told you you were getting a dozer blade, they misled you. I think the moldboard is 11 guage steel and weighs around 50 pounds. The moldboard is one of the few parts that graduates from one model to the next, but the quick-tatch bracket and hydraulic angling are unique to each model beginning with the garden tractors. I brought my moldboard up from my 400 series JD and use it on my 2210. I would highly recommend it for any JD smaller than the 4115. It is a speed-demon plow. I believe when it is angled, it cuts a swath around 50" at 15 degree angle and 48" at the full 27 degree angle. I think that covers the track width on everyhting except the 4115 which is about 53" wide, I think. FWIW, the hydraulics are commensurate with each tractor so you are not operating a garden tractor system here.

Here's a PDF that might be useful to people considering a snow blade. Snow removal Implements for 4010/4110 and (not really) 4115

/ Front Blade for 4010, 4110, 4115 Watch Out ! #4  
They use different frames coming to the front. Many of the attachments they are using for smaller compacts come from their heavy duty lawn mower line up.

/ Front Blade for 4010, 4110, 4115 Watch Out ! #5  
There is attachment compatability between the 400/X series GTs and the 2210/4010/4110/4115(kinda'), but all the frames and hydraulics are different as you have said. When you move up to the 4200 and above, I think your only choice for a front blade is a true dozer blade with a subframe mount. Hardly cost-efficient for for light snow removal as I think they are several $grand.

You know, when I think about it, this may be the only area in which the 4115 gets the short end of the stick. The front snow blower doesn't even cover its tracks.

I just can't believe the dealer didn't mention the blade would not cover the tracks of the 4115 before installing or delivering it. I think I would get my money back and look for an after-market plow or blower if I had a 4115. I'm sure it was around $1,000 for the whole set-up.

/ Front Blade for 4010, 4110, 4115 Watch Out ! #6  
I think with the R4's the rear footprint of my 4115 is 50 inches.I have a 3 pt blade that is 5ft and cuts out the prints when angled.I've noticed around here snow blades for 3-400 series lawn tractors are plentiful and I thought if they would work on my tractor I could either stretch the 54" to 60" or replace it with a 60".Thanks for all the help,this is a great forum! P.S I love my 4115!

/ Front Blade for 4010, 4110, 4115 Watch Out ! #7  
Just a quick thought....

If you could get the front quick-tatch and hydraulics and a 54" blade, I see no reason why you could not remove the moldboard from its mounting frame (with the trip release springs) that fits the quick-tatch hitch. you could then replace it with an old, salty 6-foot moldboard from a tractor bone yard.

/ Front Blade for 4010, 4110, 4115 Watch Out ! #8  
Exactly what I had in mind.I'm just not sure what the interchange would be on the quick tach and the hydraulics between the 4115 and the lawn tractors.

/ Front Blade for 4010, 4110, 4115 Watch Out ! #9  
I went through that with my graduation from a 445 to a 2210. you would certainly need to buy a front qucik-tatch hitch and hydraulic angling kit for your 4115. The pins and latches from the blade would then fit to the 4115's front hitch.

I considered modifying my Qucik-tatch hitch to work with my 2210. I gave up and negotiated one from my dealer.

Not only would it require the fabrication of an adapter bracket for the fit of the hitch to the 4115's frame, you would need to refit the rig with new hoses and quick-connect couplers becasue the garden tractor hoses and fittings are shorter, smaller diameter, and rated for lower pressure than they need to be for the 4115. The dealer's cost on the qucik-tatch with separate hydraulic angling part will be between $500 and $600, retail of $680 for the whole thing. Then you have to get your hands on the moldboard. It might be worth it to price out one of the bigger snow blades designed to work on the ends of you loader arms.

/ Front Blade for 4010, 4110, 4115 Watch Out ! #10  
Thanks, thats what I really wanted to know. I hadn't ever seen either of the 2 blade setups to compare them. I guess I'll go back to my original plan to adapt a manual angle blade to my loader. The rear blade works ok but I would much rather push from the front.