Thoughts on 3520 Cab

/ Thoughts on 3520 Cab #1  

dsparks1024

Tractor
2013 LS 4041R
Hello all looking for some advice,

Just recently moved to a new house with about 15 acres of open field. We are currently looking around at different tractors and the JD seems to be winning in my mind. Primary uses for the tractor would be finish mowing, probably about 8-10 acres weekly, general landscaping, moving mulch/dirt, and maintaing a 1500'+ gravel driveway and snow removal. Could possibly take it to the hunting camp to put in food plots, brush hog, maintain old log roads, and clear shooting lanes. The biggest hurtle to get over now is probably the price...

We got several quotes from local deals and they break down like this:
2013 3520 w/ deluxe cab, 300cx loader w/ hd bucket, 72" auto connect MMM, and loaded tires.
With tax and fees: $40,150, which was about 15% off retail.

2014 3039R w/ cab, H series loader w/ hd bucket, auto connect MMM, and loaded tires.
With tax and fees: $42,400, which was about 15% off retail.

Now I'm pretty fussy when it comes to the lawn, I like to keep it looking like a golf course with the stripes and what not! haha How would a tractor of this size fair trying to finish mow a large piece of land like this? Would it be to heavy? Would you recommend turf tires or would the oversized R4's be safe? Im concerned for how the turfs would perform in the snow or in the woods where the ground won't be so nice.

If anyone out there has a similar set up for mowing, I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

Thanks!!

/ Thoughts on 3520 Cab #2  
You want a "golf course" lawn - forget the loaded R4's. Had an O/S 3320 and now CAB 3320 with R3 Turf not loaded. For my application, Turf's are no problem in the snow.I have experienced some soil compaction - not noticeable to the eye but there are small bumps. There are only so many patterns that are practical to mow the lawn and over time have found that when mowing perpendicular to an established pattern, the ride is a bit bumpy. I may have created part of the problem with the original O/S because I was too lazy to remove the FEL and BackHoe prior to mowing. BH was around 1,100# and not sure of FEL.

No problem running a 72" MMM or 60"rear Snowblower. At this point I have no ground engaging equipment. The area I clear of snow and maintain gravel parking is about 15,000 SQFT.

The hydraulics will be the same for all of the 3x20 series. More horsepower is nice, but again, for me the 3320 has been more than adequate. There have been times I would have liked the additional FEL lift of a 4x20, but for me the price jump is not justifiable

/ Thoughts on 3520 Cab #3  
Ihave 2012 jd 3520 with everything you mentioned. 72mmm 72 hd bucket. I have the turf tires. I highly recommend them. I recommend not loading the turf tires. I handle pretty steep grades with them. People feel uncomfortable because they sit high in the cab. You just have to get a feel for it. The turf tires are the best option for snow removal and will outperform any other tire. Loaded tires may leave more of a foot print while mowing. When I use the mmm, I remove loader and ballast box. Leaves a superb mow. I have some video below of pushing large amounts of heavy snow with turf tires and just a ballast box.

here some of me mowing
72 inch john deere mid mount mower - YouTube

/ Thoughts on 3520 Cab #4  
You listen to some pretty interesting music while you're mowing. You might want to mention that the soundtrack is not safe for work or small children.

/ Thoughts on 3520 Cab #5  
I was looking at a 3520 a couple of years ago and got scared away by the price. It was a very nice tractor, but the green paint wasn't worth the price. I ended up with a MF 1635 cab for less than 28k with a fel & turfs. In hind site, I should have gotten the r4's, not because of a problem with the turfs, but the weight of the tractor has driven me to get a zero turn for mowing. It is much faster and gives a better cut. Since I don't need turfs for saving the lawn, r4's would be better for me in the woods, but the turfs are great with a blower,as they have more edges to grip the snow.

In short, you will not be happy with the heavy tractor on the lawn, a zero turn gives better results, without rutting up your lawn.

/ Thoughts on 3520 Cab #6  
I have been running Turf Special R3's since 2008 and they work well on the lawn and in the snow. They also, due to their width made my tractor much more stable when on inclined ground.

/ Thoughts on 3520 Cab
Thanks for the input, I think I've made my mind up to get the 3520 cab w/ turfs! Now if my dealer can only locate one somewhere in this country! Apparently there aren't many left as they transition to the new line up. The dealer told me that he didn't expect to get any of the new models in until later in July.

/ Thoughts on 3520 Cab #8  
Having owned R1, R3, and R4's i can't imaging why you would want R4's on a farm or for residential use. They are a compromise tire and do nothing well. They are stiff so the ride is terrible. The tread is awful in the mud and snow ( Turfs are superior by a long shot). You did not make a mistake by getting Turf tires, you made the right choice. My ag tractor as R1's and my utility tractor has turfs. I won't let R4's near my place again, not worth it.

/ Thoughts on 3520 Cab #9  
That's a nice rig! I was curious what is the horse power on the 3520? And is your mower on the rear or center, is it a bush hog? Your land looks like an old golf course I used to play at... :) Thanks for sharing the videos too..

Ihave 2012 jd 3520 with everything you mentioned. 72mmm 72 hd bucket. I have the turf tires. I highly recommend them. I recommend not loading the turf tires. I handle pretty steep grades with them. People feel uncomfortable because they sit high in the cab. You just have to get a feel for it. The turf tires are the best option for snow removal and will outperform any other tire. Loaded tires may leave more of a foot print while mowing. When I use the mmm, I remove loader and ballast box. Leaves a superb mow. I have some video below of pushing large amounts of heavy snow with turf tires and just a ballast box.

here some of me mowing
72 inch john deere mid mount mower - YouTube

/ Thoughts on 3520 Cab #10  
That's a nice rig! I was curious what is the horse power on the 3520? And is your mower on the rear or center, is it a bush hog? Your land looks like an old golf course I used to play at... :) Thanks for sharing the videos too..

Hi there,
I cant remember the exact hp anymore but im 90 percent positive it is 37 hp with a low boost turbo. The mower is a center mount finish mower 72 inches
IMAG0231.jpg