Buying Advice Looking at used 4300... what should I be looking for?

/ Looking at used 4300... what should I be looking for? #1  

jeffesonm

Tractor
JD314/4310
I'm going to look at a used 2001 4300... single owner machine with 500 hours, a 430 loader and backhoe. I have an old Oliver OC-46 crawler so this would obviously be a big step up! Aside from the obvious things like leaks, smoke, etc, and testing out all the gears, and hydraulic functions, what should I look for when evaluating this machine? I saw in another thread to lower the bucket to just above ground level and make sure it's parallel (and therefore not bent). Any other tips or advice?

/ Looking at used 4300... what should I be looking for? #2  
My response from another similar thread:

Here are a few problems we had with our 4400 (same tractor, just a little more hp)

-front axle seals (twice)
-rear axle seal/bearing
-broken housing where lower 3pt arm attaches (twice)
-mid-pto selector arm snapped
-one cylinder on the loader had to be repacked
-all the plastic except the fenders broke
-suspension under the seat gave out (broken cast linkage)
-hydraulic oil cooler had to be replaced (sprung a leak in the core)
-cruise control wouldn't hold
-pto clutch was starting to go (would start by itself sometimes, when it was engaged it made a constant clicking noise)

probably a few other things I am forgetting. The tractor was never abused, but was used almost daily on the farm. It had a little under 2,000 hrs on it when we got rid of it. Granted, this was one of the early models which had a lot of issues that were later corrected, the 4x00 series was not one of JD's best tractor lines IMO. With only 400hrs you probably wouldn't see many of the problems I listed, but they are all things to check for. A tractor that was used by a homeowner and not commercially/agriculturally would probably also not have some of those issue. Hope this info helps, I would personally never own one again, but some people on this board seem to like them.

/ Looking at used 4300... what should I be looking for? #3  
I bought one new in 03' for 18,000 with loader. Sold it when I moved in 06. Another mistake. Sure wish I had it back. Never had a bit of trouble with it other than normal stuff. I saw one yesterday for sale for 14,995. Which I thought was too high for a 10 year old tractor. But, that might be what their bringing nowdays.

James

/ Looking at used 4300... what should I be looking for? #4  
I've got to disagree with Verticaltrx
The 4x00 machines were great...are great, with the possible exception of the 4200. Not that the 4200 was a bad tractor, just a bit underpowered for it's size and weight.
I've seen more then one 4300 with 4000 plus hours, including a couple rental machines (cosmetically, the rentals weren't too good, but that's to be expected I suppose.
I have a 4400 which I've owned for about 4 year now....it's been a great tractor and I do expect many more years with it.

Now, what to look for on your 4300:
The Yanmar engines (in all the 4x00 series machines) start easily, both Summer and Winter...shouldn't see more then a puff of smoke, if any. If it cranks more then a few seconds before starting, it might have a bad battery...or something worse (but most likely a weak battery) and will idle smoothly at about 900 RPM.
With the bucket flat on the ground, the loader should easily lift the front end if you use the dump function. The 430 loaders have a tendency to be a bit loose on the mounts (where the loader masts mount). Not a show stopper as there is a fix.
Otherwise, an overall look should suffice. The fenders (plastic) are tough, but the hoods aren't as robust so don't be too surprised if you see a crack.
The PTO should engage easily...do this at low (1000) RPM. The problems with the PTO brake result from owners disengaging the PTO at high RPM....it's best to lower the RPM and let the implement slow for a few seconds, then disengage.

Overall, the 4300 is a great machine and definitely worth buying if it hasn't been abused. If it has been abused, you'll see that pretty easily. A 500 hour machine should look decent (if not clean). However, don't buy a "project" tractor...then can be right costly to fix up.

BTW, a TBN member, dfkrug, has restored a couple 4300 tractor and there is at least one really good thread (it's older, so might take a bit of searching) on restoration and the problems he encountered. I do suggest you search for that thread.

Good luck!

/ Looking at used 4300... what should I be looking for? #5  
I've got to disagree with Verticaltrx The 4x00 machines were great...are great, with the possible exception of the 4200. Not that the 4200 was a bad tractor, just a bit underpowered for it's size and weight. I've seen more then one 4300 with 4000 plus hours, including a couple rental machines (cosmetically, the rentals weren't too good, but that's to be expected I suppose. I have a 4400 which I've owned for about 4 year now....it's been a great tractor and I do expect many more years with it. Now, what to look for on your 4300: The Yanmar engines (in all the 4x00 series machines) start easily, both Summer and Winter...shouldn't see more then a puff of smoke, if any. If it cranks more then a few seconds before starting, it might have a bad battery...or something worse (but most likely a weak battery) and will idle smoothly at about 900 RPM. With the bucket flat on the ground, the loader should easily lift the front end if you use the dump function. The 430 loaders have a tendency to be a bit loose on the mounts (where the loader masts mount). Not a show stopper as there is a fix. Otherwise, an overall look should suffice. The fenders (plastic) are tough, but the hoods aren't as robust so don't be too surprised if you see a crack. The PTO should engage easily...do this at low (1000) RPM. The problems with the PTO brake result from owners disengaging the PTO at high RPM....it's best to lower the RPM and let the implement slow for a few seconds, then disengage. Overall, the 4300 is a great machine and definitely worth buying if it hasn't been abused. If it has been abused, you'll see that pretty easily. A 500 hour machine should look decent (if not clean). However, don't buy a "project" tractor...then can be right costly to fix up. BTW, a TBN member, dfkrug, has restored a couple 4300 tractor and there is at least one really good thread (it's older, so might take a bit of searching) on restoration and the problems he encountered. I do suggest you search for that thread. Good luck!

I agree

/ Looking at used 4300... what should I be looking for? #6  
I have a 4400 with 1300 hrs. on it....bought in 2000. Replaced the seat due to cracks.....replaced the thermistor...washed and waxed it this spring, neighbor thought I bought a new one.....so did I. Great tractor. Highly recommend them....of course you have to take care of it, maintenance and general upkeep.

/ Looking at used 4300... what should I be looking for? #7  
An uncle of mine has a 4300. Not a bad little tractor. A bit on the small side for my likings, but it seems to be a good tractor for what he needs it for.

/ Looking at used 4300... what should I be looking for? #8  
I got the 4310 successor. If it is hydrostatic, check where the A-B-C gear range shifter connects to the shaft protruding from the tranny gear box. Always, keep the shaft clean and greased. Gently shift it when stopped, feel it into the next gear. Never force it. Don't loan it out. Someone else would force it.

I got sand into the end of my rear axle wheel shaft seals, destroying them. Was a bit of a big repair, but I did it. All labor and just a bit of parts.

All in all, a great tractor.

/ Looking at used 4300... what should I be looking for? #9  
I've got to disagree with Verticaltrx
The 4x00 machines were great...are great, with the possible exception of the 4200. Not that the 4200 was a bad tractor, just a bit underpowered for it's size and weight.
I've seen more then one 4300 with 4000 plus hours, including a couple rental machines (cosmetically, the rentals weren't too good, but that's to be expected I suppose.
I have a 4400 which I've owned for about 4 year now....it's been a great tractor and I do expect many more years with it.

Now, what to look for on your 4300:
The Yanmar engines (in all the 4x00 series machines) start easily, both Summer and Winter...shouldn't see more then a puff of smoke, if any. If it cranks more then a few seconds before starting, it might have a bad battery...or something worse (but most likely a weak battery) and will idle smoothly at about 900 RPM.
With the bucket flat on the ground, the loader should easily lift the front end if you use the dump function. The 430 loaders have a tendency to be a bit loose on the mounts (where the loader masts mount). Not a show stopper as there is a fix.
Otherwise, an overall look should suffice. The fenders (plastic) are tough, but the hoods aren't as robust so don't be too surprised if you see a crack.
The PTO should engage easily...do this at low (1000) RPM. The problems with the PTO brake result from owners disengaging the PTO at high RPM....it's best to lower the RPM and let the implement slow for a few seconds, then disengage.

Overall, the 4300 is a great machine and definitely worth buying if it hasn't been abused. If it has been abused, you'll see that pretty easily. A 500 hour machine should look decent (if not clean). However, don't buy a "project" tractor...then can be right costly to fix up.

BTW, a TBN member, dfkrug, has restored a couple 4300 tractor and there is at least one really good thread (it's older, so might take a bit of searching) on restoration and the problems he encountered. I do suggest you search for that thread.

Good luck!

I agree with this post as well. Very well stated.

/ Looking at used 4300... what should I be looking for?
Still here folks! I truly do appreciate all the replies, thank you, sorry for not chiming in more often. I also found this similar thread which I'll repost the link to in case anyone else is searching for the same thing later on: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-buying-pricing/296941-jd-4410-w-loader-what.html

When I called to look at the 4300 someone had just put a deposit down on it, so missed out on that one. Going to look at a 4500 later today though so will keep this all in mind.