3 Series v. 5 Series

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #11  
I know what you mean about country of origin. Made in India is not a selling point with the 5 Series.

So am I wrong in generalizing to say that the 5045D will be better for field work but I'd need something else to finish mow any grass? And a 3 Series will be able to hand mowing chores but might be a touch light for the tillable land?

Not light at all. Coming from somebody that lives on 10 Acres, if I had to choose one to do it all I'd choose the 4wd 3 series over the 2wd 5 series. Get a 5ft tiller (most common you will find and can be found cheap) and rock on. You are going to break up ground once maybe twice a year, you mow every week and will find uses for the FEL every day.
If you move up in acreage later on and need a bigger utility / Ag tractor I'd skip over the 5045 and look for at least 75 to 100 hp and look for 2wd used. They can be found all day long with decent hours and a decent price tag and would be great for heavier ground breaking and keep your smaller tractor for everything else.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #12  
The 5045 is a straight up Ag tractor. No frills, full size and pretty heavy. A compact may be better suited for the use you've described.
To me it sounds like a smaller machine with FEL, 4wd and hydrostatic transmission would be ideal.
I once owned a 4wd kubota b7510 with R4's, FEL and hydro transmission that I believe would have been perfect for what you've described. The engine was in the low 20hp range and I couldn't believe some of the things that tractor could do.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series
You make very good points in favor of the 3 series. Just how important is a FEL? I was thinking I wouldn't get one to start since I figured it'd be more of a pain taking it on/off to mow. There's a bit of fence line on the property with a good number of 90' turns and thought trying to mow with the loader attached would just get in the way. But a lot of people seem to love their FELs. I don't have a ton of trees nor rocks and not sure when I'd dig a hole (!) so other than hauling manure/compost, that was about all I could come up with. Besides, leaving it off saves a few $$$.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #14  
You make very good points in favor of the 3 series. Just how important is a FEL? I was thinking I wouldn't get one to start since I figured it'd be more of a pain taking it on/off to mow. There's a bit of fence line on the property with a good number of 90' turns and thought trying to mow with the loader attached would just get in the way. But a lot of people seem to love their FELs. I don't have a ton of trees nor rocks and not sure when I'd dig a hole (!) so other than hauling manure/compost, that was about all I could come up with. Besides, leaving it off saves a few $$$.

How important is an FEL?? it is probably the #1 implement for any tractor and the uses never end.

Do you need to limb Trees- and move brush easiest to use an fel with forks or a grapple, how about carry fence posts or carry bags of feed, bales of hay, concrete.

Clean barn stalls, snow removal?? -yes it can be done with the basic FEL bucket

The FEL is IMO the best back saver ever invented- truly...

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #15  
FEL is the most important thing you will ever need on a tractor unless you have skid steer as well.
I never have taken mine off, if I need to be more compact I just take the bucket or what ever off and leave the loader on.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series
You guys are good at spending my money! :thumbsup:

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #18  
A 5045 D or E can pull a finish mower behind it just as well as a shredder. More tractor than you need I think but you'd never wear it out. Mine with loader and 72" cutter and spaced out loaded tires was just under 30K delivered 0% interest The loader is very strong and can lift 4000 lbs. It will handle large round bales easily and safely. I plow a half mile of steep hills with it plus skid logs and mow twenty acres with the shredder. 315 hours so far and I'm well satisfied. You might want to consider what is the largest machine you want to run off the PTO and get a tractor thatwill run that machine comfortably.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #19  
I couldn't agree more on the FEL, I use mine a lot. Cant imagine not having it. Probably the main reason I bought a tractor.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #20  
I would be totally lost without the FEL / Bucket / Forks. A set of forks makes many multi-man jobs a one man job. Here is a pic of something I built, so I could put something longer than the shed in there for winter storage, by leaving the door open. Without FEL would be impossible to place / remove.

Attachments

• IMG-20121108-00019.jpg
    IMG-20121108-00019.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 316