3 Series v. 5 Series

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #1  

Flatlandfarmer

Tractor
None yet
I have a new farm with 10 acres total. Five acres are tillable, four acres in fenced pasture, and an acre with buildings and grass. Primary use will be mowing, but also discing, and possibly snow removal on a long, paved driveway. I'm still strongly considering a used machine (870, 970, etc.) but was looking through the new offerings too. Basically, for the same $$$ (around $17k) I can get a new 3032E or a new 5045D.

Is one or the other better suited to my needs? I know the 3 series is 4WD but I'm not convinced I need that for my flat, relatively clear land. I do like that it's made in the USA (the 5 series is made in India.) On the flipside, having a bit more HP and weight might be helpful down the road too and keep me from outgrowing the machine that I hope to keep for years and years. But I don't know if the 5045D will be too hard on grass.

Simply put, I don't know if the 3 series is too small, or if the 5 series is too big for my needs? I'm focused on Deere right now. I guess going to their museum in Moline when I was seven had a lasting effect!

Thanks! This is a very helpful group on the forum.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #2  
Well, does that price include a loader?? If you're looking at spending 17k on a 2wd tractor without a loader, I'd reconsider. If you're gonna buy new, get 4wd and a loader. If you're gonna get a 2wd buy a used tractor. Tons and tons of great 2wds out there for cheap.

Either way, make sure no matter what you get that it's got ag tires on it, since ag is what you're doing.

If those two I'd take the 3032e, but of all the tractors for veggie farming, I probably wouldn't start there.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #3  
From what I have gathered, the 5045 will be ok for brush hogging, but not finish mowing (too heavy). The 3032e is very light (just over 2k lbs), so you will need the 4wd. I haven't used mine for any ground engagement tasks, but others have and are happy with it.

You might also check out a used 5045e (4wd) or 4120 (4wd and in betwen the two sizes with more weight and HP, but not so still a good bit lighter than the 5 series).

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #4  
I have a new 3032E. You will want the 4wd for snow removal. I have a 5' brush hog and 6' blade and the 305 Loader. My total for mine in January was under $19k with all the attachments, loaded tires and delivered. I also have 10 acres and it's perfect. No regrets for me, it has done everything I need it to do.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series
I have a new 3032E. You will want the 4wd for snow removal. I have a 5' brush hog and 6' blade and the 305 Loader. My total for mine in January was under $19k with all the attachments, loaded tires and delivered. I also have 10 acres and it's perfect. No regrets for me, it has done everything I need it to do.

Thanks for the input. Is it powerful and stable enough to handle discing and other field work?

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #6  
Thanks for the input. Is it powerful and stable enough to handle discing and other field work?

Grandfather / Father operated 250 acre mixed farm, for some years, with 2 x Horses + 1 x 2WD Ford 8N. Tested HP according to Tractor Data approx = 23HP. Weight approx 2410.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #7  

Cant answer that one. But I do feel the tractor is very stable with the loaded tires. I have a hay wagon and loaded with people it does fine. Dont know what it would do with a disc or plow

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series
Grandfather / Father operated 250 acre mixed farm, for some years, with 2 x Horses + 1 x 2WD Ford 8N.

It's good to see you point that out. In this age of "bigger is better" we tend to forget what can be done with the most basic of tools.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series #9  
I have a 5045d. I wasn't too pleased when I found out its county of origin but it has been impressive in performance.
I have a JD MX6 cutter, 6ft disc harrow and a 7ft drag harrow to name a few. It pulls them all with ease. Have to go slow with the cutter in 5ft tall thick weeds but that's to be expected (that's when I hook up the 5420 4wd cab). For my uses the weight is a plus. I also have fluid filled front and rear tires as well as approx 350# of weight on the front. No loader. I've owned a couple of FEL Kubota 4wd tractors and they were great machines just too light.
For ground engaging the 5045d is a great machine. Lots of FEL work and finish mowing I'd get a lighter machine with 4wd R4 tires and a hydrostatic transmission w/o question. Just remember at some point the whole front end on a 4wd tractor will have to be rebuilt. It won't be cheap. At about the same time the 2wd will likely need nothing. However 2wd gear driven machines are terrible platforms for a FEL IMO. Yes they will work but a 4wd hydro will run circles around it when you've got a lot of material to move.

/ 3 Series v. 5 Series
I know what you mean about country of origin. Made in India is not a selling point with the 5 Series.

So am I wrong in generalizing to say that the 5045D will be better for field work but I'd need something else to finish mow any grass? And a 3 Series will be able to hand mowing chores but might be a touch light for the tillable land?