Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Gold Member

Default Re: 3 Series v. 5 Series

Quote Originally Posted by charleyfarmall View Post
    Actually,
    I would split the difference and get the 4105. It will do everything you want and likely be more capable that the 5045D
    These tractors are so different it would be almost impossible to compare. One is hydro and fwd, the other is manual and 2wd. The 4105 uses spur gears, the 45D is planetary. They are both 3-cyl but the 45D is almost twice the displacement and has replaceable cylinder liners whereas the 4105 does not. The 45D is 28" tires and a Cat2 hitch, the 4105 is 24" tire and Cat 1 hitch. The 45 D has draft control, the 4105 is only position control. The 45D is much heavier and would cost several thousand dollars less. The 5045D you can adjust the wheel spacings the 4105 you cannot.

You really have to choose the machine that is best for the tasks at hand (present and future) and fits your budget.

Tractor
    2013 5083E Limited

I have had a 3520, and now have a 5083E. Both are 4wd and for pushing snow, I would not have anything else. I disced 2 acres of sod with my 3520 and it did a nice job. I didn't even have fluid in the tires. The only thing I did was add 500 lbs on top of the disc to make it dig harder. It performed well. Around the house, 4 acres, the little 3520 was much better, and the ehydro was great for loader work. The reason I got rid of it was because I have 120 acres of ground 60 miles north of me, and it was not big enough to use out there, so I jumped up to the 5083E. For around the house, it is not nearly as handy as the 3520. It is hard on the yard when you turn, and doesn't get around in the woods very well. Works really good at the farm however.
    Personally, I like having the 4wd when I need it. I don't use it under normal circumstances, just when needed. And I like the larger tires up front for loader work. They roll easier and turn better with a load, than the smaller tires of a 2wd.
    Good luck with your decision. If you are looking for used, or a demo model, check out tractorhouse.com They have a lot of just about every brand of tractor you can think of. you can sort by zip code to find the ones closest to you.
    Past Rigs:2008 3520. June 2008 to July 2011
    2011 5083E Limited July 2011 to Feb 2013. Long Story
    2013 5083E Limited Feb 2013

Gold Member

The thing you have to be careful about running heavy tillage in FWD with unloaded rears is that the front end can end up doing the majority of the pulling, putting a lot of stress on FWD components and front tires. I would say if you have radial rear tires and heavy wheel weights installed, then you should most likely run without liquid ballast. With bias tires you will always want maximum rear weight for heavy tillage.
    Quote Originally Posted by JD3520Turbo View Post
    I have had a 3520, and now have a 5083E. Both are 4wd and for pushing snow, I would not have anything else. I disced 2 acres of sod with my 3520 and it did a nice job. I didn't even have fluid in the tires. The only thing I did was add 500 lbs on top of the disc to make it dig harder. It performed well. Around the house, 4 acres, the little 3520 was much better, and the ehydro was great for loader work. The reason I got rid of it was because I have 120 acres of ground 60 miles north of me, and it was not big enough to use out there, so I jumped up to the 5083E. For around the house, it is not nearly as handy as the 3520. It is hard on the yard when you turn, and doesn't get around in the woods very well. Works really good at the farm however.
    Personally, I like having the 4wd when I need it. I don't use it under normal circumstances, just when needed. And I like the larger tires up front for loader work. They roll easier and turn better with a load, than the smaller tires of a 2wd.
    Good luck with your decision. If you are looking for used, or a demo model, check out tractorhouse.com They have a lot of just about every brand of tractor you can think of. you can sort by zip code to find the ones closest to you.

Tractor
    Deere 3038E

I own a 3038E and will lay out the pros and cons.

The tractor is very easy to operate due to the hydro, I have cruise control on mine for those long mowing strips. The 4WD is a must as this tractor is very light, I have the R4's on mine and they will slip with any snow on the ground unless 4x4 is engaged. Due to the lightweight the ride is terrible, when mowing on rough ground it will **** near bounce you out of the seat. The weight is also an issue with the loader, it doesn't want to tip the 300cx loader just isn't that powerful. The loader is fine for bags of grain, trash etc.. but a full load of dirt taxes it and forget about doing anything with large timber.

On the upside the lightweight makes it very nimble and fuel efficient. You can fill her up with 5 gallons of diesel and run all week. The 38 horses are PLENTY for the frame, I can pull a 6ft rotary cutter through 4ft tall brush at 6mph and it won't break RPM. I wouldn't want anymore horsepower in this weight class because at some point you start exceeding the limits of the hydro and running gear.

The long and short of it is I find that it's an awesome 5-15 acre tractor. I bought a 20 acre property that was vacant for 10 years so I use my machine daily and I do find there are tasks that it's just not up to like moving broken concrete, demolishing old buildings etc.. but in all fairness I would need to step up another 50k to truly get that performance.

I have started taking care of my neighbors 33 acres and now I'm feeling really undergunned. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a 5075E just for the ride alone.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2013 John Deere 3032E

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoSarducci View Post
    I own a 3038E and will lay out the pros and cons.

The tractor is very easy to operate due to the hydro, I have cruise control on mine for those long mowing strips. The 4WD is a must as this tractor is very light, I have the R4's on mine and they will slip with any snow on the ground unless 4x4 is engaged. Due to the lightweight the ride is terrible, when mowing on rough ground it will **** near bounce you out of the seat. The weight is also an issue with the loader, it doesn't want to tip the 300cx loader just isn't that powerful. The loader is fine for bags of grain, trash etc.. but a full load of dirt taxes it and forget about doing anything with large timber.

On the upside the lightweight makes it very nimble and fuel efficient. You can fill her up with 5 gallons of diesel and run all week. The 38 horses are PLENTY for the frame, I can pull a 6ft rotary cutter through 4ft tall brush at 6mph and it won't break RPM. I wouldn't want anymore horsepower in this weight class because at some point you start exceeding the limits of the hydro and running gear.

The long and short of it is I find that it's an awesome 5-15 acre tractor. I bought a 20 acre property that was vacant for 10 years so I use my machine daily and I do find there are tasks that it's just not up to like moving broken concrete, demolishing old buildings etc.. but in all fairness I would need to step up another 50k to truly get that performance.

I have started taking care of my neighbors 33 acres and now I'm feeling really undergunned. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a 5075E just for the ride alone.
    Hey Guido,We are practically neighbors. I live in Paola and work in Gardner. Bought my 3032E in January. Did you get the tires loaded on your 3038? It makes a lot of difference. I have a 5' brush hog and 6' rear blade with the 305 loader. I have 10 acres down on 68 hwy. I do agree the 305 loader on mine is a little weak for removing broken concrete, but for the most part it does everything I need it to.

Tractor
    2013 5083E Limited

You can improve the ride a lot, by reducing the air pressure in your rear tires. I would run the fronts at max for loader work, but the rears, I would air way down.
    I ran 11 to 12 psi in my 3520. That gave me a better contact patch on the ground as well. Ride was much better as well. As light as the rear ends are on these, you don't need much air in the rear tires.
    Past Rigs:2008 3520. June 2008 to July 2011
    2011 5083E Limited July 2011 to Feb 2013. Long Story
    2013 5083E Limited Feb 2013

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345