Comparison JD5085M versus 5085E

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #11  
Nice catch on the engine spec Calhoun, Indeed the Engines are the same. And that is very good to learn. But as for synchro B to C that is a fiction. The JD site clearly states the range shifts are not synchronized. Now if you can make the shift, wonderful for you, but it is not part of the tranny design so good luck with that.

Transport speed according to Nebraska tests is 20.96, which is better than the 17 I said but a far cry from 24. I drive my 6230 that far all the time and a few mph makes a huge diff.

Btw I am not at all down on the 5085 E. I think it is the best looking tractor Deere has. Especially the oos. It is very capable and priced like a 70 HP Kubota. I think it is a great product. If I needed an 85hp oos I will get one.
If anyone cares I was pricing a 5085M a while back but I decided to get a 6105R to replace my 6230. I wanted the 31mph trans and the closed center hydraulics. I am told Sept 17
This is straight from my owners manual. Maybe the changed something's for 14. Have no idea, I know the tractor will go 23 mph because I've done it. Shifting from B to C will work but it's not real smooth, I work on cars for a living and would say it not full synchro shift, but it will work while moving.

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #12  
This is straight from my owners manual. Maybe the changed something's for 14. Have no idea, I know the tractor will go 23 mph because I've done it. Shifting from B to C will work but it's not real smooth, I work on cars for a living and would say it not full synchro shift, but it will work while moving.
http://s126.photobucket.com/user/ky...9-41F4-AE04-267DBB650ACB_zpsffardko2.jpg.html
http://s126.photobucket.com/user/ky...3-46CA-A7A4-978CC615523F_zpsqrvv997x.jpg.html

You can do 25 in reverse! :eek:

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #13  
My E model goes 22.5 at least on flat ground. I don't think I would try to shift from range b to c, I have shifted when I was almost stopped and it sounded bad, so I stopped completely. I agree the that M series is more of a big boy tractor, built more like the 6 and 7,000 series machines.
However, I could never afford an M series. I could barely afford this one. I put Michelin Radial farm tires on my tractor and I really like them. They ride good and grip is amazing. My dealer bought my bias tires for what I thought was a fair price and I think it cost me 2,000 for the swap if that, for all 4.
For what I do, this tractor works. It pulls my 15foot bat wing cutter and pickups up big bales. I do wish the hydraulics worked quicker, but its livable.
The biggest problem I have is with the brakes. They are horrible.
And yes, I think it goes as fast in reverse as quickly as it goes forwards.

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #14  
Learned something new today, Thanks Calhoun. I'm really glad the 85E has that synchronized shift that makes it a lot more attractive to me. Even just B to C would be a big help. And it sounds like it did get a better transport gear which is great too. The 5085E continues to impress. For the money it is the best deal out there.

Ok so I ordered the 6105 R last week on Friday. I was trying to locate a tractor but nothing that was available had the 31mph IVT and Loader ready Pkg. It's really expensive to add that option after the fact so when the salesman told me it was only a 3 month wait I said let's just order it the way I want it.

6105R
H340 Loader 3rd function electronic joystick
IVT 31 MPH
Deluxe Cab with command arm
TLS front end
18.4x38 Radials
16.9x28 radials
Debris Grapple and Heavy duty bucket
Wallenstein FX 120 winch( please be as good as my Farmi's)

There are tons of little trinkets and auto fill options that are cool things. But even a base cab has tons of really nice options. I did not get the Premium cab because I like to remove the mirrors and the premium has electronic mirrors. I don't trust the touch screen at -20 either. I like knobs and buttons. Other than that I mostly wanted and IVT because all my 6x30's have been autoquads and you fellas know what I mean when I say I'm tired of the neck snapping.

OK so we wait.....

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #15  
Learned something new today, Thanks Calhoun. I'm really glad the 85E has that synchronized shift that makes it a lot more attractive to me. Even just B to C would be a big help. And it sounds like it did get a better transport gear which is great too. The 5085E continues to impress. For the money it is the best deal out there. Ok so I ordered the 6105 R last week on Friday. I was trying to locate a tractor but nothing that was available had the 31mph IVT and Loader ready Pkg. It's really expensive to add that option after the fact so when the salesman told me it was only a 3 month wait I said let's just order it the way I want it. 6105R H340 Loader 3rd function electronic joystick IVT 31 MPH Deluxe Cab with command arm TLS front end 18.4x38 Radials 16.9x28 radials Debris Grapple and Heavy duty bucket Wallenstein FX 120 winch( please be as good as my Farmi's) There are tons of little trinkets and auto fill options that are cool things. But even a base cab has tons of really nice options. I did not get the Premium cab because I like to remove the mirrors and the premium has electronic mirrors. I don't trust the touch screen at -20 either. I like knobs and buttons. Other than that I mostly wanted and IVT because all my 6x30's have been autoquads and you fellas know what I mean when I say I'm tired of the neck snapping. OK so we wait.....

Sounds like an awesome tractor. Does IVT mean infinitely variable transmission?

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #16  
Yes Wmonroe, IVT is Infinitely variable transmission. Kinda funny name since the Deere version has two ranges and who could possibly need two infinite ranges. NOt as good as the Fendt Vario which is 1 range no shifting at all at all.

It is a very nice tractor. I had a 6430 Premium and I missed it more than I thought I would when I switched to the 6230 Mid Spec. I liked the lower HP to weight ratio of the 6230 so that's why I bought a 6105R instead of the 6125R. But I missed the power boost in transport of the IPM and I missed the 30gpm hydraulics( that's implement not combined) I missed the Electronic brake assist, and the headland management systems of the Premium tractors.
I really am a fan of the 6 series tractors.

Ok so question for IVT folks, why are we hearing that Deere is having problems with the IVT tractors getting power to the ground. I mean this is a power stealing tranny but once you figure out how much power you have why would the trans make an op feel like the tractor was not performing.

This is from my salesman, he said he had to trade in a farmers 6140R IVT for a 6170M AQ. I said hey WTF 170 is more than 140 anyway maybe this farmer is a moron. But the salesman says Deere is talking about a real problem and a real solution is coming. Me, I still ordered the IVT. By Halloween I'll have all the answers. But for now lets talk about this.

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #17  
Is there a site that explains how the tranny works? I wonder if it is similar to the cvt trans some cars have in them now?

/ JD5085M versus 5085E
Is there a site that explains how the tranny works? I wonder if it is similar to the cvt trans some cars have in them now?
Suggest looking at the website
HowStuffWorks "How CVTs Work" which is automotive-oriented but the principle is there. I know that some models of MF tractors have a CVT and have heard of others. My guess is that tractor CVTs provide a variation in gear ratio within a range rather than across the whole range of possible speeds for the tractor. Not many tractor people want anything to do with an automatic transmission and this is getting too close for my blood. I have not found a tractor-based explanation on the web.

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #19  
Well I don't know about most tractor guys but Fendt came out with the Vario CVT first back in the 90's, Deere has had the IVT in it's bigger tractors (6,7 and 8 series) since 2001 and CaseIHNewHollandFiat group and Agco ( Massey, Fendt, Valtra, SAME, Deutz etc)all offer some sort of CVT in their top of the line tractors, even Cat Challenger. CAT has used them in heavy equipment for years and so has Deere. I Imagine the auto industry is finally seeing the effects of this use.

The Deere site explains the use for IVT but it does not go into depth on the design. Research the Fendt Vario to find out about the first CVT in tractors and why Fendt still has a big edge.

The reason I wanted one is because all of the farmers and custom hire outfits around here that have the IVT or CVT just think it's the only way to go. And The AQ is great but still I would like more splits in the gears. I am always looking to be going .5 mph faster or slower.

My Kubotas had 8 speeds then 16 then 32 and still I always wanted another gear split.

My small tractors were a Kubota L 3400 and L 5030, they were hydro's and I loved them but they are too small for some of the work.

I know the hydro steals power but I always just made sure i bout 15 extra engine HP to give me the power I wanted after the hydro took it's share.

Now that I am using bigger tractors I am really looking forward to using the newest technology and the IVT CVT Vario is the newest.

One other reason I always loved the Hydro's anyone can drive them. If there is an emergency and a seriously novice operator has to drive me out of the the woods or field I'm glad they don't have to figure out a collar shift transmission.

I drove a 7630 Deere with IVT and it was easier than driving a chevy sedan . Gas Brake Park drive easy.

Maybe life should be harder?

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #20  
Ok Let's be real the 5085 M is so vastly different from a 5085 E that I don't know where to start. But I will try.

The 5085 M is 2013 Technology the 5085E is a 5420 or 1998 Technology( I am not saying which is better Just they are different, I prefer to move forward)

The 5085 M is a mid frame tractor, the 5085 E uses the engine and tranny as a frame. So the M has much higher torsional strength in loader and twisting applications on uneven ground. The mid frame is also helpful when splitting the tractor and other maintenance.

The 5085 M has Larger Rear axle housing and larger components made to handle heavier duty applications. Both are made in China but the 5M has a USA made Transmission

The 5M has synchronized ranges the 508E does not. That is a huge help in transport and it shows how much better the new Transmission is over the old. Syncro ranges is huge.

The 5085 M has EH 3 point hitch controls which is a huge benefit for precise and comfortable work. It also allows a very quick raise and lower for working with tillers and mowers. I find I cannot live without EH 3PTH, I did for many years with my Kubotas. Frack that

The 5M series has Radial tires as a choice, so much better for wear and field apps and ride if you transport your tractor much.

The 5M series has 20% higher implement flow which will help that loader cycle much faster.
The 5M Deluxe platform is truly flat and suspended so it is much more comfortable than the 5085E.
The 5085M has the PVX engine 4 valve per cylinder and the same as used in the 6M while the 5085E has the Powertech E engine. 2 valve fixed turbo, you get the idea. 2005 vs 2013 again.

The 5M has 25mph transports speeds available the 5085E goes 17mph, huge for transport from job to job or field to field.

The 5085 M has remote 3pt hitch controls for easier implement hookups, and a better sway control system than the 5085E

These are real substantial differences and well worth the extra cost if, speed and comfort are important. Oh the 5085E is a great tractor and it is very good looking. It can do everything a 5M can do and alot cheaper, but never kid yourself the 5085 M has the strength features and ability of a much better tractor at a good price.

As for the guy who was talking 5065E You are looking at a 5003 tractor in essence and it is a great tractor but it is Old Tech, no comparison whatsoever to a 5065M or the 5085E

Are you sure about where these are made? I am pretty sure that the E series is made in India and the M series is made in Germany or the US.