Buying Advice 2210 advice

/ 2210 advice #11  
Hi, Danboy.

First, I would suggest speaking with a tax attorney about your capital gains question. I don't think there is any way we could have enough information here to give sound advice (and no way you would want to share that much info here /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif). If you have liquidated some asset(s) this year and need to reinvest, you should certainly verify whether a tractor purchase would be considered a QUALIFIED reinvestment of some or all of the gain. If you are purchasing the tractor for use in an onging, for-profit venture, then it might make a difference. From your post, it sounds like you are involved in some form of agricultural activity. I would check with an expert, and at least the IRS, to make sure the outlay is qualified.

Second, you mentioned <font color="blue"> ...I have 23 acres and a few cows. </font> That is a good size property, and you certainly will find more to do than mowing and relocating bovine organics. How are you handling the work now?

This won't sound much different to you than a dealer telling you to buy up, but I'll stick my neck out and say you will need slightly heavier tractor than the 2210 for managing that kind of property. Since you just stated that you want no regrets but that you want a small footprint, you should consider the 4110 or 4115. Both can accommodate an OEM backhoe and have stronger and faster hydraulics than the 2210 which you will appreciate doing some of those task. Also, the extra weight sounds necessary for traction doing loader work in some of the setting you described. As I mentioned earlier, the 4110 has only a slightly larger turning radius than 2210 and will mow just about as tightly as the 2210 around obstacles and landscaping. You can get an OEM folding ROPS for the 41XX series and an after-market folding ROPS for the 2210. The 41XX series offers position control on the 3PH and the 2210, BX, and 7500 do not. The bottom line is that the 2210 and BX were designed for larger residential and perhaps light construction or landscaping. In a setting like yours, the Kubota 7500, 2410, Boomer TC 24, or JD 41XX tractors will ultimately bring you more satisfaction. If I were spending your money, I think I'd be leaning on the 4115. That way you won't have to look back.

Have you thought about a 4310 and a dedicated ZTR for a mower?

/ 2210 advice #12  
Oh yeah....

$12,995 fro the 2210 seems like a fair price. Some have done better, some have paid a little more.

/ 2210 advice
Thank's for the thoughtful reply. I am in partnership on 400 acres with about 100 head of cattle. We deeded off the 23 acres so I could build a house. I recently bought some heifer calves to put on my acreage. We have plenty of farm machinery plus 3 large tractors. They cannot get in to a couple of small corrals very well. I had not looked at compact tractors until recently. I just fell in love with the way that deisel motor sounds and the hydrostactic tranny works. I just have to have one. I really enjoy mowing the grass and keeping up the yard and figure with my new large yard, my riding lawnmower is not going to last long. The loader, a box blade and a tiller would be so handy to do whatever comes up. Plus it would just be a lot of fun. I plan on meeting with a tax advisor this week to figure out my problem. I'm thinking the 23 acres and the calves would enable me to be an agricultural enterprise. I hate to pay Uncle Sam if I can avoid it.

/ 2210 advice #14  
I have 160 acres and I bought a 2210. Its a dandy machine but if I could do it again I would sure get a 4115. Interested in a slightly used 2210 with 60 hours and less than 1 year old /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ 2210 advice #15  
Only 60 hours Doc? You're just getting out of the break-in oil/potty training stage.

Funny how the hours pile up, though. Seems like I was just doing my 50 hour service, then Isablelle hits and Fall rolls around. Now I'm pushing 140 hours for my measly little 7 acres. Of course many of those hours were on neighboring turf. Perhaps that should be part of everyone's purchase decision, i.e. buy up if your neighbors are notorious moochers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 2210 advice #16  
LOL, Now theirs some good advice. Theirs a Kubota dealer on the way to my camp who has a bill board slogan that says " NO ! You Can't Borrow it ! " . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course I dont mow at all so that keeps some hours down. When I bought mine I just intended to till, lol. I actually had to get talked into the FEL. Now probably 90% of my useage is with the FEL. ohhh, well. Its still a neat tractor but I personally could benefit from the improved FEL specs and other features. Dave

/ 2210 advice #17  
In contrast, I was going to be a "90% mowing" 2210 owner. I think 50 hours of my clock time is mowing. I couldn't believe how much stuff I could get done with a loader and the hitch capabilities. I know I have done several thousand dollars worth of turf improvement, tree stump removal, and clean-up work. I'm not done either, so the 4110 will definately make my life easier and improve my property's value to boot.

I seriously expect the mowing and agility factors to be non-issues between the 2210 and the 4110. The only two reasons I did not step up to the 4115 was the fact that the turning radius is substantially bigger on the 4115 than on the 2210 and 4110, and the optional front plow and blowers do not cover the tractors footprint width (major oversight on JD's part). The increased turning radius equates to a an uncut mowing circle that is almost 2-3 feet in diameter bigger than the 2210 and 4110 using the 62C and 60 decks, respectively. I have plenty of trees and keep a mulch circle around them all that is 6-7' in diameter. In order to keep with my technique of non-stop, no-reverse mowing, I would have to make my mulch circles 8-10' in diameter.

I just wish the 4110 had the 4115's engine. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Imagine that--a 7' turning radius with 20 PTO HP /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif