Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
  1. #11
    Old Timer Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    51,745
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5

    Quote Originally Posted by JD3520Turbo View Post
    I haul my tractor that weighs roughly 8800 lbs plus the weight of the trailer. I have a 20 footer with a 5 foot dove tail. The other thing to consider is where you put the load on the trailer. If you have a dually pickup, then you can put more weight on the truck and a little less on the trailer, if you have a single wheel pickup, then you will want it more balanced. Keep good fresh tires on the trailer and keep them aired to 75 to 80 psi, and that is as good as you will get for these trailers. My avatar shows my setup..
    Hard to beat drw when towing, more rubber on the road means more control
    souNdguy

    sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

  2. #12
    Elite Member wmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,250
    Location
    Southwestern, PA
    Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

    Default

    Very true, a dually is much more stable with a heavy load/trailer.
    Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

  3. #13
    Silver Member JD3520Turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    181
    Location
    Holt, MO
    Tractor
    2013 5083E Limited

    Default Re: Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5

    And two extra tires give you more load capacity which comes in handy. There are times I wish I had a dually. When they are empty though, they ride kind of rough.
    Past Rigs:2008 3520. June 2008 to July 2011
    2011 5083E Limited July 2011 to Feb 2013. Long Story
    2013 5083E Limited Feb 2013

  4. #14
    Old Timer Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    51,745
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5

    Quote Originally Posted by JD3520Turbo View Post
    And two extra tires give you more load capacity which comes in handy. There are times I wish I had a dually. When they are empty though, they ride kind of rough.
    i like mine. rr tracks are about the only place i get a bump.. and that's from stiff suspension.

    I much prefer the extra rubber onthe ground.

    makes a differense on wet roads and dirt roads too.
    souNdguy

    sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

  5. #15
    Veteran Member pclausen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,432
    Location
    Nelson County, VA
    Tractor
    JD 5085M, JD 1445, JD GT235, JD LT166

    Default Re: Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5

    I got a Big Tex dual tandem and it will haul just about anything you throw at it.









    Dually does run a little rough empty, but really only when going over rr track or speed bumps. Main issue I have is the Allison transmission slipping if I don't go easy up hills (duramax is chipped).
    JD 5085M w/ H260 MSL Loader, Frontier AV20G Grapple, Frontier AP13G Pallet Forks, Woods BH1050 Backhoe, Woods SG100 Stump Grinder, Woods RM990 Finish Mower, Woods RB850 3 Way Hydraulic Blade, Woods LR108-2 Rake, Maschio H205 Tiller, Bush Hog 3209 Cutter, Vermeer 906 Chipper, Valby SGR76 3pt Grapple, Shaver 601H Post Digger, Tufline 8' Disc Harrow, Vicon Vari-Spreader MK-II 400, JD 45 16-3 Bottom Plow
    2002 Silverado Duramax 3500 Crew Cab LT 4x4
    BigTex 22.5K 25' Gooseneck Trailer

  6. #16
    Super Member George2615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,457
    Location
    Central Square, NY
    Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

    Default Re: Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5

    Quote Originally Posted by pclausen View Post
    I got a Big Tex dual tandem and it will haul just about anything you throw at it.









    Dually does run a little rough empty, but really only when going over rr track or speed bumps. Main issue I have is the Allison transmission slipping if I don't go easy up hills (duramax is chipped).
    Is it just me? Or am I reading this wrong. Trailer Life lists the max 5th wheel / Goose neck tow capacity at 14,800 for a 2002 3500 CC 4x4 Duramax yet your lumber load ticket shows 22,800. Maybe that's why the transmission is slipping.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by George2615; 09-13-2014 at 12:55 PM.

  7. #17
    Old Timer Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    51,745
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5

    not that i'm advocating hauling loads in excess of listed specs.. but i know for a fact my 99 ford powerstrokes ( 350 and 450 ) have both hauled loads that were just under cdl limits...

    just saying...
    souNdguy

    sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

  8. #18
    Super Member George2615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,457
    Location
    Central Square, NY
    Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

    Default Re: Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    not that i'm advocating hauling loads in excess of listed specs.. but i know for a fact my 99 ford powerstrokes ( 350 and 450 ) have both hauled loads that were just under cdl limits...

    just saying...
    Can your trucks tow up to CDL limit and can the OP's tow over 26K. Of course they can. Could my 1/2T tow 15K. Of course it could. It's just the fact that it's over the trucks towing limit making it illegal to do so. I think there are a lot of guys who tow more than their trucks limit. I have at least 4 guys on my road who daily tow over 20K with a 1T. Just saying they shouldn't advertise that fact. I'm not saying I haven't done it but again its not something I advertise. I have my CDL and it's just a pet peeve when I see things like this.

  9. #19
    Old Timer Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    51,745
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5

    Quote Originally Posted by George2615 View Post
    Can your trucks tow up to CDL limit and can the OP's tow over 26K. Of course they can. Could my 1/2T tow 15K. Of course it could. It's just the fact that it's over the trucks towing limit making it illegal to do so. I think there are a lot of guys who tow more than their trucks limit. I have at least 4 guys on my road who daily tow over 20K with a 1T. Just saying they shouldn't advertise that fact. I'm not saying I haven't done it but again its not something I advertise. I have my CDL and it's just a pet peeve when I see things like this.
    depending on the state you are in.. it can be a tag limit fix / issue.

    we have a 99 450 at work tagged to 25999 pay your money and go.. tax collector and dot don't bat an eye...
    souNdguy

    sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

  10. #20
    Super Member George2615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,457
    Location
    Central Square, NY
    Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

    Default Re: Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    depending on the state you are in.. it can be a tag limit fix / issue.

    we have a 99 450 at work tagged to 25999 pay your money and go.. tax collector and dot don't bat an eye...
    Can it can be done that way with a 1, 3/4. or 1/2Ton? Just pay the fee and go?
    A 450 is a bigger truck and expected to be able to tow more..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Kaufman vs Big Tex
    By kneedeep in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-19-2012, 12:15 PM
  2. big tex opinions
    By rwells in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 11:33 AM
  3. Big Tex---Beware!
    By Propjob in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-29-2008, 01:48 AM
  4. Anyone here have a Big Tex trailer???
    By leeinmemphis in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 05:35 PM
  5. Anyone here have a Big Tex trailer???
    By leeinmemphis in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.