Consolidation Of Tractors

/ Consolidation Of Tractors #1  

NYBOB

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 JD 3720
I have a 2007 3720 with 500 hours on it. I have a 7 foot stone rake, 6 foot finish mower, 6 1/2 Curtis snow plow, front forks and a rear ballast box. I also have a 2013 X750 with 50 hours on it. The 3720 has ag tires on it since I wanted a wider stance for my hilly terrain. I have 10 acres and mow my field about 5 acres and 3/4 of an acre around my house with the X750. I would like to buy/trade for a new 2 series and put turf tires on it. My driveway is now blacktop so that is one less issue. The question is, can I mow around my house and my field with the belly mower on the 2 series? Will it handle all my other implements or would I need to sell them with the old tractor? Is the 2 series with turf tires stable enough on hilly terrain? I would really like to get down to one tractor. Thanks

/ Consolidation Of Tractors #2  
Hiya,

Where were you when I went from a 2 to a 3 series? From my experience with both platforms, I think you will be quickly disappointed with the 2 series loader performance and stability as well as their lack of ground engaging traction coming from a 3 series. The small loader lifts roughly a little more than 1/2 of what your current one does and at capacity, the chassis lets you know your close to the max. You know when your lifting 900 lbs on a 2 series whereas on a 3 series, it's like nothing. Also the 2 series does not have anywhere close to the traction that the 3 series does because the chassis is so light for the amount of HP the engine puts out. ( I had loaded R4 tires, wheel weights and a cement ballast box with 4-40 lb suitcase weights stacked on top of it on mine and it still slipped the tires easily) For a PTO powering chassis, they are great, for ground work, they aren't close to what a 3 series can do because the weight of the 3 series gets the power to the ground instead of spinning the tires.

As far as your implements, the 6-1/2 foot loader plow will push the 2 series around with anything more than 6" of heavy snow. (I had a 5' Curtis loader plow on my 2520 and going uphill it would push the tractor right over) The RFM should work OK but it will be heavy on the hitch when you lift it, (Again, the 2's have about 1/2 the capacity of the 3 series on the 3 pt) you should either keep the loader on to mow or add some suitcase weights if you don't. By stone rake do you mean a landscaping york rake? If so, the 2 series will work it but if your raking heavy material expect the tractor to slip the tires a lot as they don't have the weight that the 3 series does and they break traction easily. If your talking a rock bucket, I would think it would be heavy enough that the 2 series loader wouldn't be able to lift much material in it.

If you don't have a septic system to worry about in your lawn, I would look to retail the X series and use the funds to get a set of rims and high flotation turf tires for your 3720 so you could use it as the lawnmower and any areas you can't fit it in, use a hand mower or string trimmer for the stuff you can't get to. By taking a loader off and with the lower height of the high flotation turfs, the 3720 should be fine for your lawn again if no septic system.

My 2 cents
Tom

If you decide on trading your 3 for a 2 series, I still have the 5 foot curtis plow, I would be more than happy to work a deal for the 6-1/2 footer if your interested.

Last edited:
   / Consolidation Of Tractors
Tom,

Thanks for quick reply....

The dealer recommended the 2032R, are they much different then the 2520 you had?

Thanks
Bob

/ Consolidation Of Tractors #4  
Tom has given you good advice. Put Turfs on the 3720 and get a 72" 7-Iron MMM. If I recall there was a member here who installed the even larger Galaxy Turfs with a 7-Iron. I have experienced some soil compaction over the course of about 6 years use, however, some of that probably because to lazy to remove Back Hoe and or FEL when mowing. Inside corners and under trees will still be a problem with a 2 Series. Even with X739 4WS I will need to re-radius some inside corners or use a weedwacker.

If you like the 3720 capabilities, I suspect you would be soon disappointed with 2 series capabilities.

/ Consolidation Of Tractors #5  
Tom,

Thanks for quick reply....

The dealer recommended the 2032R, are they much different then the 2520 you had?

Thanks
Bob

Bob,

The 2032R is pretty much the 2720 rebranded with new decals which in itself was a 2520 with the larger engine out of the 3120 or 3320 stuffed into the chassis. The 2520 had too much HP and torque for the chassis to deliver to the ground, more HP and torque would only make it easier to break traction and slip. I also noticed that your splitter is tractor powered, if your using a power beyond to run it, the 2 series has less flow per minute than the 3 series, your splitting will take longer.

Cinder is correct on the name of the turf tires I was thinking of, "Galaxy" I'm not sure they would fit with a 72" MMM but you already have the 72" RFM so why buy another type mower if you don't have to.

Tom

Tom

/ Consolidation Of Tractors
After listening to all the people here and my dealer, I am going to keep my 3720 and X750 for now. One question, is there a replacement tire for my front ag tires that would be less aggressive? Keep the ag tires on the back and something less aggressive on the front? I think the diameter would need to be the same as the ag ones since the 4 wheel drive system.

Just a thought....