4610 Back From Recall (very long)

/ 4610 Back From Recall (very long) #1  

DK_Farms

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4610 E-hydro 4WD, JD 5525 4WD Cab
My 4610 was brought back home from recall surgery today. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have been following other posts regarding the recall, but I reserved comment until my tractor came home.

First of all, the dealer wanted ME to bring the tractor to THEM. The dealer is 13 miles away. I very unpolitely refused and he sent a runner out to get it the next day. I made sure that he understood that I expected them to bring it back as well. I asked the Service Manager on 3 different occassions to explain to me in laymans terms what the nature of the recall was and what was going to be done to my tractor. He couldn't tell me. All he knew was that they had 2 tractors to fix under the recall that involved replacing a part. I called him again today after my tractor was delivered, and guess what? All he could tell me was that it had been fixed. I thought about it a while and called back to ask the name of the mechanic that worked on my tractor. Then I called back later and asked for him.

Paydirt!! This guy was full of answers. He confirmed that the recall involved replacement of an internal transmission component. Some kind of shift rod. The instructions from JD were that he was to tear down to the component then send the assembly express delivery to JD within 5 days. If he didn't keep that schedule, JD would not pay the dealer for the repair. Bet you wanna know if I got a new tranny or a reman. Here's what he told me. He had 2 part numbers for replacement trannys. One for tractors still on the lot and one for tractors that had been sold. Pretty simple, isn't it. I got a reman tranny. The mechanic said he wasn't sure but based on his experience with JD warranty work, all equipment that has been sold has been fitted with reman parts under a warranty or recall situation. Not that it really bothers me, warranty is warranty I suppose. The JD instructions said to recover all the hydro oil, filter it, store it, filter it again, and then put it back in the tractor. I asked him how he filtered it. He said they use some type of nylon micro-mesh filter in a funnel. He did admit to filtering only once just before putting it back in the tranny. He also admitted that their method probably didn't take care of dissolved moisture but the heating of the oil would make it evaporate anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
As for filters, all filters were to be left in place. Only the suction filter was to be removed and cleaned, not replaced.
So to sum up, I got a reman tranny, full of used oil, with old filters, on a brand new tractor with 31 hours on it. To add insult to injury, I decided to inspect the tractor a little closer a few hours after delivery and I found that they didn't bother to cut the ty-raps used to bundle the wires together again and there is a big cushion clamp on the big hydraulic line that is just dangling. I can't figure out where it attaches. Guess I'll call tomorrow and see what headache that will cause getting that fixed. Oh, they also fixed my broke wheel tilt mechanism, my erroneous fuel gauge, and my fogging display. All in all, I suppose my experience has been on par with everyone else that has been put through this trial. Will I buy another JD after all this?? Yep.

/ 4610 Back From Recall (very long) #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Will I buy another JD after all this?? Yep.
)</font>

I wonder about the brands that NEVER seem to have recalls. Are they perfect? Or are they somehow insulated from this? Are there NEVER quality issues with the DongFengs of the world?

Sorry you had the troublel hope all ends well!

/ 4610 Back From Recall (very long) #3  
Sorry to hear about your tractor problems - I know it can take the "New" off of a tractor, or anything for that matter, when you start off having problems with it. Seemed kinda cheap to me to screen out the fluids, rather than just add new ones.

I hope you get it back to the condition you want - and will continue to enjoy it.

/ 4610 Back From Recall (very long) #4  
<font color="blue"> So to sum up, I got a reman tranny, full of used oil, with old filters, on a brand new tractor with 31 hours on it.</font>
<font color="black"> Who used the transmission, oil and filters? It seems to me you have a tractor with 31 hours on it. A transmission with a NEW part with 31 hours, hydraulic oil and filter with 31 hours on it as well.

Now, if you don't trust your dealer to do the repair correctly or not contaminate the oil, then that's another matter.

Jim</font>

/ 4610 Back From Recall (very long) #5  
DK,

I would no way accept a remfg. transmission. You DO NOT have to accept that. If your tractor is new and especially if it was a recall they cannot put remfg. parts in your tractor if you tell them you want new. I had a new Ford pickup that they tryed to do that with and I talked to a lawyer and they put in a new transmission instead of a remfg. one. I'd get on the phone with the dealer and with JD and tell them the repair job was not acceptable to you. Tell them you paid for a new tractor with a new transmission not a new tractor with a remfg. transmission. At the very least I would make them throw in an extended warranty on the tractor.

/ 4610 Back From Recall (very long) #6  
<font color="blue"> Paydirt!! This guy was full of answers. He confirmed that the recall involved replacement of an internal transmission component. Some kind of shift rod </font>

How is changing this shift rod replacing the transmission?